An Over 50 Lifter

Got my Saturday lifts done tonight, better late than never.

Hip Adduction
350 lb x 17, same as last (= PR on this setting/this posture)

Hip Abduction
350 lb x 11 rep, same as last (= PR on this setting/this posture)

Shoulder Cable Fly (rotator cuff exercise)
55 lb x 12 rep, +2.5 lb (65 x 12 is PR)

Dip Machine
235 lb x 9 rep, +1 rep (250 is PR)

Seated Row
227.5 x 8 rep, +2.5 lb, -1 rep (let us not discuss my PR, which was machine max + weight).

Body Wt Dip
12, +2 rep (13 is recent PR, somewhere around 20+ when I was younger)

Cable Curl
147.5 x 9, +2.5 lb (150 is PR)

Face Pull
172.5 x 9 rep, +2.5 lb (PR is 190 lb, I’m still a ways off, but at least it pops the knots in my shoulders when I do it, so it is working for me).

Rotary Exercises (all 4, two each side)
50 lb x 12 rep each, +2.5 lb, +2 rep (55 is recent PR)

Back Extension
330 lb x 11 rep, +1 rep (sheesh, PR is 360 or something, I’m detuning this to 330 as a finisher and just increasing reps. 330 is max weight +25 lb).

Abdominal Board
35 lb x 10 rep, +2 rep (turns out that there was one more notch of steepness. At the max steepness, 35 lb is my PR).

I’m still a way from fully caught up to recovered from both the automobile accident and the layoff while moving, but I’m making real progress getting back there. By mid summer I should be moving past my old PRs and into real improvement again.

I’m pleased, I feel good. Won’t be making the karate tournament this weekend. Wife has a tupperware party she has to attend for social reasons. I’m doing a little kid’s soccer party, bringing my nine-year-old and four pizzas. There will be more pizzas, she won’t be nine again.

[quote]Elaikases wrote:

I’m still a way from fully caught up to recovered from both the automobile accident and the layoff while moving, but I’m making real progress getting back there. By mid summer I should be moving past my old PRs and into real improvement again.

I’m pleased, I feel good. Won’t be making the karate tournament this weekend. Wife has a tupperware party she has to attend for social reasons. I’m doing a little kid’s soccer party, bringing my nine-year-old and four pizzas. There will be more pizzas, she won’t be nine again.
[/quote]

It’s good to se what you’ve been doing and that youare getting back into it Elaikases! Hope the you’ve found new work since the layoff.

Jackhammer successful.

750 sq feet of tile to go in next. That is started. Need better gloves to avoid blisters when using jackhammer next time (tile came up easily, but the thinset did not always).

Rotator cuffs ok, right wrist not too bad (it was banged up enough Sunday that I started shaking hands with my left hand), left thumb down to a dull ache (I need to get it to fully heal from that tournament injury but I keep doing things with it).

But I am going to lift Friday night. Missed Wado Ryu this week, with family and then being out sick. Maybe tonight if I’m recovered enough.

Back to bed for a while.

recovering nicely buddy… and pretty quick too!

Keep it up brother!

Got in and lifted again, barely got it in between mowing the grass before the rain got bad, the tornado warnings, my daughter’s piano recital, unloading more tile (the superheavy tow option on the Tahoe comes in handy again) and a 7:00 a.m. meeting I had to make.

Last time lifting 4/21, this time 5/2, was worried how much the excess time between lifts would hurt (I’m on what is basically a seven day cycle)

Hip Adduction
skipped.

Hip Abduction
skipped

Shoulder Cable Fly (rotator cuff exercise)
55 lb x 12 rep, +2.5 lb

Dip Machine
235 lb x 8 rep, -1 rep

Seated Row
230 x 8 rep, +2.5 lb,

Body Wt Dip
10, -2 rep

Cable Curl
150 x 9, +2.5 lb (150 is PR)

Face Pull
175 x 9 rep, +2.5 lb

Rotary Exercises (all 4, two each side)
52.5 lb x 12 rep each, +2.5 lb, +2 rep

Back Extension
330 lb x 12 rep, +1 rep

Abdominal Board
Had to leave to make the Piano Recital on time. Skipped.

Someone was resting between sets ahead of me on some of the machines. Hard to complain too much when it is a 93 year old woman, but she growled at me when I asked if I could work in a set while she rested.

I need to start doing bodyweight squats every morning, and probably pushups and wheel o’ dooms too.

I’ll see what I get in tomorrow morning.

Moving right along there Elaikases! Nice work!

Was reflecting on where I’ve gone from 1/24 to 5/9

I lost ground when I missed a month while moving in February/March and when I only made three work-outs in April. But, on the whole, I’m pretty much even, with better form.

Hip Adduction machine (resists legs opening or Abductor muscles)
+1 rep net

Abduction machine
+5 lb/1 rep

Shoulder Cable Fly
Same weight, less pain

Dip Machine, down ten pounds (to 237.5) but better form

Seated Row, +2.5 lb/+1 rep

Bodyweight dips, -3 rep (the dip machine takes it out of me).

Cable Curl, +7.5 lb/ -1 rep

Face Pull Cable Row
-7.5 lb/-1 rep (currently 177.5 x 9)

Ab Board, found one more notch up (hidden in the machine) so I’m at a steeper slant, +10 lb

Back Extension -5 lb, +2 reps (but I’m just maintaining, so I’m good there).

Rotary exercises +2 reps

The good news is that I’ve made steady progress since I got regular again, the house is almost finished (I’ll have to post some pictures of the tile work) and I’m feeling good.

Stephen M (Ethesis): I, too, have had students a couple of pictures of the tile in the new house. With the tile in, the informal dining room finally has a fixed color scheme without any more changes (whew).

Guess I’ll be lifting at 5:30 a.m. Monday morning.

Ah well, time to start the new cycle.

I’m up to three Wado Ryu katas now. Different enough that I have to learn them as new katas rather than just adjust the old ones slightly (like I did while we were in a Tang So Do club).

[quote]Elaikases wrote:
I’m up to three Wado Ryu katas now. Different enough that I have to learn them as new katas rather than just adjust the old ones slightly (like I did while we were in a Tang So Do club).[/quote]

I hear you there - but I had 20 years to forget the original way I learned them…

All that tiling has obviously kept you in shape!

I’m lifting, just haven’t felt like posting.

Started a new cycle, mostly the same as the old one.

Small progress, I’m going to reset two weights down and sharpen up the form. Funny, I miss a week and some muscles don’t seem to notice, others I lose a fair amount of progress.

Another pre-test tonight at Wado. I’m making some progress and things are starting to come back or to adjust to the way that they do them.

Off to work.

Well, ended up dropping Wado because my daughter started crying every time I left for a work out. She was going through a rough time.

But I did take a first place in the over 35 AAU Brown Belt Texas State Championship. Won the final round 2.5 to .5.

Anyway, I’ve started working out again.

Tonight I did 28 kneeling ab rollers.

Tomorrow I head to the gym to start a new cycle.

I’m a sixty year old guy now …

Been gone for six years. Life really moves along.

Welcome back, I keep coming in an out myself. Trying to remember. Wasn’t it you who posted that beautiful scissor takedown to the waist of an opponent from one of your matches? 60 is a great year, I’m enjoying the hell out of it.

1 Like

This is certainly a blast from the past!

Yep, that was me. The funny thing was that is the first time I ever executed that move.

Seeing you still here was a blast from the past for me as well. I’m getting restarted. Lift with my daughter on Thursday, some box squats tonight with the family.

Did twenty box squats with a sandbag as a warm-up for Thursday.

My new thread.

1 Like