T Nation

An Odd Wish... From A Lefty

Gonna fess up, folks.

Way back when the various candidates started on their campaign trails, of all the candidates, I actually really liked and chose McCain. His ratings were in the shitter, his campaign finances were abysmal, he was outshined stylistically by some of the more glitzy candidates on both sides, and it looked like he was going to take a dive.

But I chose McCain because at that time, he really was a maverick. He went against much of the party’s hard lines, and supported issues that he believed in and was passionate about (torture, energy, environment, etc). He was like a bulldog.

But since his 180 degree turnaround in supporting those issues, he suddenly became his party’s front-runner, and lost me in the process. How he calls himself a maverick now is beyond me. He’s just more of the same.

I suspect that when 2 candidates offer their “product” to the masses, then it behooves each to come to market with radically different products. By following party lines more closely, McCain obviously separates himself from Obama. Could this be the case? Why would he flip-flop so readily then?

My wish is this: in the event McCain wins, he goes back to his original stance on those key issues. Everyone gets duped! That would be awesome, and he’d truly live up to Maverick Status.

Just a pipe dream? Well, stranger things have happened. :wink:

Does that mean that you supported HW Bush when he raised taxes after the Read My Lips BS?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
As a lefty you liked him when you thought he had no chance. Now that he has a shot at becoming President he doesn’t quite meet your criteria…bla bla bla…go vote for Obama the wonder boy with 143 days as a senator…Yawn
[/quote]

You fucking moron. I said he lost my support when he FLIP-FLOPPED!
Nothing to do with his popularity, poll numbers or whatever.

Poor little angry cranky Mick. Wassamatter?
You’re a big attention grabbing drama queen on these forums. And I’ll bet you never even picked up a barbell! You don’t know shit about me other than what I allow here. So back the fuck off, pussy. You’re in the way of real discussion and debate. Grow the fuck up. Better yet, get your angry ass in the gym and work off some of your insecure aggression.

If you want to debate me with facts about issues, fine. But if you want to continue to attack me personally, you’re going to have to stop acting like a big crybaby.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Gonna fess up, folks.

Way back when the various candidates started on their campaign trails, of all the candidates, I actually really liked and chose McCain. His ratings were in the shitter, his campaign finances were abysmal, he was outshined stylistically by some of the more glitzy candidates on both sides, and it looked like he was going to take a dive.

But I chose McCain because at that time, he really was a maverick. He went against much of the party’s hard lines, and supported issues that he believed in and was passionate about (torture, energy, environment, etc). He was like a bulldog.

But since his 180 degree turnaround in supporting those issues, he suddenly became his party’s front-runner, and lost me in the process. How he calls himself a maverick now is beyond me. He’s just more of the same.

I suspect that when 2 candidates offer their “product” to the masses, then it behooves each to come to market with radically different products. By following party lines more closely, McCain obviously separates himself from Obama. Could this be the case? Why would he flip-flop so readily then?

My wish is this: in the event McCain wins, he goes back to his original stance on those key issues. Everyone gets duped! That would be awesome, and he’d truly live up to Maverick Status.

Just a pipe dream? Well, stranger things have happened. :wink: [/quote]

What issues are you referring to?

[quote]dhickey wrote:
Iron Dwarf wrote:
Gonna fess up, folks.

What issues are you referring to?[/quote]

He’s probably referring to the issues he mentioned: torture, the environment, energy.

[quote]Gael wrote:
dhickey wrote:
Iron Dwarf wrote:
Gonna fess up, folks.

What issues are you referring to?

He’s probably referring to the issues he mentioned: torture, the environment, energy.[/quote]
Yeah, I wasn’t aware that he changed his stance on these so I guess I was looking for a bit of clarity.