An Irishmans Crack at SS

Training looking good man, keep it up!

In other news, Dublin beat Donegal in football with a very mediocre game today. Either way, Dublin in an all-Ireland final against Kerry. As a Dubliner, this is the stuff dreams are made of!

This mornings workout:

met a friend in the local park.

jogged for about 20 mins,
200m hard run, 20 pushups x 3 rounds
boxing pad work 4 rounds

Jesus the weather in Melbourne is crazy. It was beautiful the last few days and when I went out this morning the car was frozen over(very small bit of ice, nothing like at home though). Maybe I am just getting soft!

[quote]phlegms wrote:
Training looking good man, keep it up!

In other news, Dublin beat Donegal in football with a very mediocre game today. Either way, Dublin in an all-Ireland final against Kerry. As a Dubliner, this is the stuff dreams are made of! [/quote]

Cheers, just trying to get back into it really. its coming along. I am only 30 but i feel like an old man when it comes to training these days. thats one of the reasons i pulled up the thai boxing. niggling injuries take bloody ages to recover from. i kicked a few elbows in my time and my ankles still play up from it. enough whinging.

Yeah I saw that in the football. I didn’t see the game but I was keeping an eye on the results. My family are all from Dublin so Ill be cheering the Jackeens on! Anything is better than them muck-savages winning!

This mornings workout was the best i had in the last week or so. I dropped the weight a bit on the squats and concentrated more on form. getting better. Although I am thinking of changing programs soon. I made good strength gains on this but I feel like my time and energy is going into the squats. Everything feels like assistance work. Might o onto the 5/3/1 program

Squat 5x115kg bad form
3x115kg
5x100kg much better form
Bench 3x5x85kg
2x90kg just cause i wanted too. never benched this much before.
Trying doing rack pulls as I dont have access to the deadlifting machine anymore. my grip failed miserably. not sure what im going to do for deadlifts at home.
Dips bw 20kg 5,6 i got a dip belt with the chain for holding weight. felt brilliant doing this. much better than trying to hold a dumbbell between my legs. really enjoyed this exercise.

ab wheel 12, 10

This morings workout 6am

Pretty much the same as tuesday.

15 mins warm up jog.
20 pushups, hill sprint x 4 its not that steep a hill but over 100m still stough a bit tough
few rounds of hitting pads.

Jesus my appetite is gone unreal the last few days. cant stop eating. had a couple of eggs on toast an hour ago and im starving again.

This mornings workout 6am

Squat - couple of lights sets, 8x80, 5x100kg, 3x100kg trying to focus more on form this morning. im getting the depth but not that ass wink or whatever you call it.
OHP - I thought i had 52.5kg but when stripping the weights i realised i was missing 2.5kg on the laeft handside. D’oh. I was wondering why it felt lobsided. i thought i was holding the bar unevenly or something.
bent o row - using ez bar with underhand grip. 3x5x60kg (not including the bar, im not sure what this bar weighs

Well it was a fairly boozy weekend but i managed to pull myself out of bed this morning for a workout. I started on the 5\3\1 program. AS I said earlier I felt like squats were taking over my workouts on the Starting Strength program. And this morning was Squats!

Squat
5x75kg
5x80kg
9x90kg

For the assistance work I went with the Boring But Big option. I workout out at home and dont have leg press, leg curl etc… so i tuck with the squats
5x10x60kg

4x10 on ab wheel

nice workout. It be interesting to see how legs feel in the morning after the boring but big.

I had a throat infection at the start of the week so couldnt do anything for a few days. LAst night was my first workout since monday:

Bench
Warm Up
5x60kg
5x70kg
9x75kg

Dips
4 sets of 10 bw 10kg

Db incline press
7x27.5kg
10x22.5kg
10x22.5kg
10x22.5kg

Tricep ext
10x20kg
10x20kg
10x25kg
10x25kg

This mornings workout:

Bent over row(EZbar)
5x45kg
5x50kg
9x55kg

Chins
5,4,3,3 this is my worst exercise

cable rows
10x25kg
10x35kg
10x45kg
10x45kg

bi curls (EZ bar)
8x20kg
3 sets of 10x15kg

ab wheel
10, 10, 10

Damn you drink!
My plans for a healthy weekend got washed away by the demon drink. I was supposed to work out Saturday evening. I went to the market around lunch time to get my meat. I spotted a little pub which I hadn’t noticed before. Decided to pop in for one. Got chatting to the barman, he threw on the Pogues, several hours later I left in a plastic bag.
I was too hungover yesterday to workout. I had planned to watch Ireland in the rugby on the telly at home. I had chicken marinating for the BBQ, and a few beers(just a 6 pack) in the fridge. Turns out it was only on pay TV which I don’t have. So I went to the pub, met friends, watched the match, followed by trad band playing, many many pints drank. Great day though. Sick as a small hospital in work this morning. Ill have to try go for a run tonight to make myself feel alive.

Next weekend will be a healthy one…

Training looking awesome buddy, keep it up! Lucky you being able to enjoy the RWC matches at a reasonable time, coverage started at 6:30am over here so enjoying it with a perfectly poured Guinness was out of the question when I had work in an hour… Feckin’ timezones!

[quote]phlegms wrote:
Training looking awesome buddy, keep it up! Lucky you being able to enjoy the RWC matches at a reasonable time, coverage started at 6:30am over here so enjoying it with a perfectly poured Guinness was out of the question when I had work in an hour… Feckin’ timezones! [/quote]

Yeah its good for us cause usually its the other way around and I have to stay up half the night to watch anything. You going to the football final? I paid for a proxy that I can use to watch it on RTE over here. Still its going to kick off at 2.30am on a Monday morning so not really ideal!

I did a short shoulder workout last night but I dont have my notebook with me now and cant remember what it was.

This mornings workout 6am-

10 min jog warm
6 rounds on the pads with pushups/ bw squats on the rest periods.

[quote]seanie_Og wrote:

[quote]phlegms wrote:
Training looking awesome buddy, keep it up! Lucky you being able to enjoy the RWC matches at a reasonable time, coverage started at 6:30am over here so enjoying it with a perfectly poured Guinness was out of the question when I had work in an hour… Feckin’ timezones! [/quote]

Yeah its good for us cause usually its the other way around and I have to stay up half the night to watch anything. You going to the football final? I paid for a proxy that I can use to watch it on RTE over here. Still its going to kick off at 2.30am on a Monday morning so not really ideal![/quote]

No unfortunately not, have to be working as much as possible before I go back to college in a couple of weeks to get enough cash together to cover the registration fee. I have a couple of friends with Hill 16 tickets for it though, I couldn’t be more jealous. I’d say the atmosphere will be unreal!

My legs were still stiff last night from Tuesdays workout so I just took the dog for a long walk.

This mornings workout 6am
Bent over row(EZbar) I am including the weight of the Olympic EZ bar which i think is 8kg
3x58kg
3x63kg
6x68kg

Chins
5,5,4,3.5 nearly got the last one! felt much better than last week

cable rows
10x45kg
10x45kg
10x45kg
10x45kg

bi curls (EZ bar)

4 sets of 10x23kg
superset with ab wheel x 10

Just looking back at my log and it seems some of my posts disappeared. I posted a log of workouts 2 days ago with a bench and squat workout that isnt there anymore!

It was a beautiful weekend here in Melbourne, a nice 24 C degrees. I played soccer for an hour and half in the park on Saturday. Then went to the pub to watch Ireland beat the aussies at rugby! Brilliant. On Sunday morning I went out to the Danadenong mountain to to do some hill. Jesus that puts manners on ya! I thought I was reasonably fit but that took me down a peg or two. I was huffing and puffing hard after 5 mins.

In the afternoon I did a quick shoulder session

OHP

few warm up sets
3x40kg
3x45kg
6x50kg

Upr row

10x4kg
10x40kg
10x35kg
10x35kg

I am not sure what the next exercise is called, torso twists or something. Its where you hold a plate, start with it at your waist, then twist with it around the back of your head to your waist again, going a different direction each time. I know my description is great. Some MMA guys showed me it. Its for your core but also uses your shoulders a bit.

Torso twists?

with 20kg plate 15,14,11

I followed this with a heap of meat of the bbq and a few beers out in the garden. Its a tough life sometimes.

Hope to god you were able to catch the Kerry v. Dublin final yesterday! Cracker of a match, Dublin was mental afterwards. Never seen every pub in Dublin spilling out onto the streets like that! Training looking strong, keep it up!

hey seanie, i was wondering about your grip. do you get pain when you hold it pronated? or is it just a lack of strength? if so please keep working away at it - deadlifts are not to be missed and that machine is proven to promote vaginal growth in men. another option is to get a ‘Trap’/Hex bar - this alows you to deadlift with a neutral grip.
also try box squats and watching all of elitefts ‘so you think you can squat’ series

Last nights workout

Squats
few warm up sets
5x80kg
3x95kg
3x105kg
6x80kg
7x70kg
10x60kg
10x60kg

ab wheel 15,13,11,10

Im not sure if im doing enough training for my legs but as Im training at home im not sure other exercises to do. My legs are fairly rubbery after these workouts so might be enough anyway.

This mornings workout-
I woke up a bit late so didnt have time to go for a run so i decided to just do some burpees instead. did 100 for time. Jesus it took me just over ten minutes. I used to be able to pop them out when I was doing all the kickboxing training, this morning i was nearly crying after 20.

ALright Caveman, my grip just gives up. Its kind of hard to explain. Its mainly my middle finger. I cant even squash a paper coffee cup between the middle finger and my thumb. My forearm got crushed and there is a piece missing out of it. I think its muscle damage or something. Ill stick up a picture later. I got physio for a longtime and they said its as good as its going to get. Although it has got a bit better.

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
that machine is proven to promote vaginal growth in men. [/quote]
Ha ha! I was wondering why I was getting funny looks in the gym! I am training at home now so not even using that machine so no dealifts at all at the moment. I have thought about getting a trap bar but it’ll be a few weeks before I get the cash together. Just paid off flights home and got my car fixed after a smash so fair skint.

I’ll have a look at that series and check out box squats. I probably need a bit of variety in my leg training.
Cheers