An Interview with the Iron Dwarf

so.

as we all traverse through our lives, we keep our eyes on the goal, a look ahead, and fail to notice the beauty that we have around us.

We spend time defending our positions, only to change our positions after discovering a new factoid, or embracing a new belief system.

We are influenced by the media, our family/freinds/acquaintances, only to lose our real selves.

We get caught up in politics, the long term stability of our governments and economic systems and place value on what history has shown us to be valueless.

we lose sight of the important things in this life. after all, we are here for a short time, and that time is full of waste.

BUT~

We are faced with opportunities for growth. Opportunities to break free of the mundane, the quid pro quo, the constraints that our lives have given us, opportunities to learn.

this is one of those times, where we can set our minds free of the chains that bind us, to have a minute to set back, and extrapolate wisdom from a learned associate of ours.

we all know him as the ā€˜Iron Dwarfā€™.

the Dwarf is the proverbial ā€˜Man on the Mountainā€™. The ID has imparted his wisdom, humor and patience with all of us. He has taught us that there is more to the book than its cover, to see the person inside of us, and to have patience, for we are all fellow strugglers, looking for love and acceptance in this cold world.

We all know of his accomplishments, and they are too many to list here.

This Thread, dedicated to our learned freind, will allow us to ask the most burning questions of our age. The questions that have haunted us for decades, questions that will forever change our view of life, and help us to understand what our tasks in life are preparing us for, and what we shall be able to do in order to attainā€¦enlightenment.

I would like to ask the first question of our most learned master.

the question isā€¦

In Ritchie Blackmoreā€™s band ā€˜Rainbowā€™, RJD sings of ā€˜the man in the silver mountainā€™ - please explain to me the metaphor that is the Man in the silver mountain, and what can we learn from this person and his struggles?

1 Like

Great band. Great song.

Is there going to be some serious Q and A?

At times like this, I wish there was a background music function. Some mood music if you will whilst I read the post.

Like some Phil Collins perhapsā€¦

IH its Edgy is that even possible?

I so wanna be like ID

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL

good song choice, iā€™m looking forward to it.

[quote]bond james bond wrote:
At times like this, I wish there was a background music function. Some mood music if you will whilst I read the post.

Like some Phil Collins perhapsā€¦ [/quote]

With a great Subway sandwich and some phony English asshat dancing to Phil Collins.

[quote]imhungry wrote:
Great band. Great song.

Is there going to be some serious Q and A?[/quote]

Itā€™s all in the riff dude.

Itā€™s funny, friends of mine went to see Rainbow many years ago in HS. Everyone went to see Rainbow, not the backup band, however when all was said and done the backup band blew Rainbow off the stage. That band was The Scorpions.

Hahaā€¦this thread will surely deliver!!! <3 ^^

[quote]print wrote:
I so wanna be like ID

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL[/quote]

PRINT why you no post in the NFL thread? You ignoring your Texas brother?

'm a wheel, Iā€™m a wheel
I can roll, I can feel
And you canā€™t stop me turning
Cause Iā€™m the sun, Iā€™m the sun
I can move, I can run
But youā€™ll never stop me burning

Come down with fire
Lift my spirit higher
Someoneā€™s screaming my name
Come and make me holy again
Iā€™m the man on the silver mountain
Iā€™m the day, Iā€™m the day
I can show you the way
And look, Iā€™m right beside you

Iā€™m the night, Iā€™m the night
Iā€™m the dark and the light
With eyes that see inside you
Come down with fire
Lift my spirit higher

Come down with fire
And lift my spirit higher
Well, I can help you, you know I can

These Lyrics, they haunt me. what do they mean, where do they want me to go?

help, O great one, what - oh what are they trying to tell me?

[quote]Edgy wrote:
'm a wheel, Iā€™m a wheel
I can roll, I can feel
And you canā€™t stop me turning
Cause Iā€™m the sun, Iā€™m the sun
I can move, I can run
But youā€™ll never stop me burning

Come down with fire
Lift my spirit higher
Iā€™m the day, Iā€™m the day
I can show you the way
And look, Iā€™m right beside you

Iā€™m the night, Iā€™m the night
Iā€™m the dark and the light
With eyes that see inside you
Come down with fire
Lift my spirit higher

Come down with fire
And lift my spirit higher
Well, I can help you, you know I can

These Lyrics, they haunt me. what do they mean, where do they want me to go?

help, O great one, what - oh what are they trying to tell me?[/quote]

There just has to be a ā€œlook outā€ in those lyrics somewhere, Dio trademark!

LOL!

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]print wrote:
I so wanna be like ID

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL[/quote]

PRINT why you no post in the NFL thread? You ignoring your Texas brother?[/quote]

NO! Never ignore you bro. I need to find some time to get in there. I see some real shit going down in there. Saw Robā€™s interview yesterday. Piece a work that cat is.

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL!!

Thanks Edgy for putting this manlet on the spot! LOL

First, I think Dio was being ambiguous and using conflicting metaphors on purpose. This way he could be sure any listener could glean his own meaning from the lyrics. The word DIO itself means GOD, but Ronnie James Dio was an atheist.

Silver, while representing wealth and status, also represents illusion. Dio uses phrases like ā€œmake me holy againā€, and given the context of illusion, heā€™s saying that no matter what we do, or what we have, it all ends in the end, no matter how much we possess, or how many rituals we participate in.

A great artist chooses the right words and uses them creatively to paint what seems to be a meaningful and elaborate pictureā€¦ but it could mean nothing. Itā€™s all an illusion.

DISCLAIMER: Though I enjoy DIOā€™s music, this doesnā€™t mean I partake in any of DIOā€™s beliefs. As in most rock lyrics, I find myself moved by how a phrase reads, rather than the meaning of specific words. Phrasing is the killer, words just the filler.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
LOL!!

Thanks Edgy for putting this manlet on the spot! LOL

First, I think Dio was being ambiguous and using conflicting metaphors on purpose. This way he could be sure any listener could glean his own meaning from the lyrics. The word DIO itself means GOD, but Ronnie James Dio was an atheist.

Silver, while representing wealth and status, also represents illusion. Dio uses phrases like ā€œmake me holy againā€, and given the context of illusion, heā€™s saying that no matter what we do, or what we have, it all ends in the end, no matter how much we possess, or how many rituals we participate in.

A great artist chooses the right words and uses them creatively to paint what seems to be a meaningful and elaborate pictureā€¦ but it could mean nothing. Itā€™s all an illusion.

DISCLAIMER: Though I enjoy DIOā€™s music, this doesnā€™t mean I partake in any of DIOā€™s beliefs. As in most rock lyrics, I find myself moved by how a phrase reads, rather than the meaning of specific words. Phrasing is the killer, words just the filler.

[/quote]

so, are you claiming that Dio was attempting to show us that the attainment of wealth and status is not the way to reach happiness or enlightenment? and if this is his message, then why do you suppose that he did not offer an alternative to this overreaching and guide us towards the righteous path? And supposing that his protagonist found that in the end his lifes work has been found to be false, then in making him Holy Again, what would one need to do, and in making holy, does this presuppose that a christian finality is expected?

Thanks for the Breakdown ID.

I like this interview thing. Can you give me some insight into this song as well:

I can feel it coming in the air tonight, Oh Lord
Iā€™ve been waiting for this moment, all my life, Oh Lord
Can you feel it coming in the air tonight, Oh Lord, Oh Lord

Well, if you told me you were drowning
I would not lend a hand
Iā€™ve seen your face before my friend
But I donā€™t know if you know who I am
Well, I was there and I saw what you did
I saw it with my own two eyes
So you can wipe off the grin, I know where youā€™ve been
Itā€™s all been a pack of lies

And I can feel it coming in the air tonight, Oh Lord
Iā€™ve been waiting for this moment for all my life, Oh Lord
I can feel it in the air tonight, Oh Lord, Oh Lord
And Iā€™ve been waiting for this moment all my life, Oh Lord, Oh Lord

Well I remember, I remember donā€™t worry
How could I ever forget, itā€™s the first time, the last time we ever met
But I know the reason why you keep your silence up, no you donā€™t fool me
The hurt doesnā€™t show; but the pain still grows
Itā€™s no stranger to you or me

And I can feel it coming in the air tonight, Oh Lordā€¦

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

I like this interview thing. Can you give me some insight into this song as well:

I would not lend a hand

And I can feel it coming in the air tonight, Oh Lordā€¦[/quote]

LMFAO!

^ That was Mr. Collins first experience with anal sex and his new life partner.

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

I would not lend a hand

And I can feel it coming in the air tonight, Oh Lordā€¦[/quote]

LOL!

ID, do you have a pocket version of yourself for those of us who would benefit from your wisdom on a daily basis? Like a Manwee or ā€¦ oh, actually Manwee doesnā€™t sound right at all letā€™s try that againā€¦

Like a Wee Manlet or something? =D

[quote]Edgy wrote:

so, are you claiming that Dio was attempting to show us that the attainment of wealth and status is not the way to reach happiness or enlightenment? and if this is his message, then why do you suppose that he did not offer an alternative to this overreaching and guide us towards the righteous path? And supposing that his protagonist found that in the end his lifes work has been found to be false, then in making him Holy Again, what would one need to do, and in making holy, does this presuppose that a christian finality is expected?
[/quote]

Not at all. I think he was saying that it all means nothing. The mountain represents power. To attain it, there would have to be the obligatory climb to the summit. Thatā€™s all fine and good. Then you realize the mountain is silver and you assume youā€™ve been blessed with wealth for your effortsā€¦ a reward of sorts. But hold on! Silverā€™s other meaning is illusion. The reflective surface of silver reflects everything around it. If the mountain sits in a grassy valley, then all the mountain reflects back to us visually is that same grassy valley. If the mountain sits on the ruins of a once great civilization (or perhaps a modern ghetto), then this is all we see reflected back when we look at the mountain. Itā€™s all about context, and where we are in life.