T Nation

An Interesting Bulk Study

1000cal over maint. Very high carb, low fat.

legit or bro-science

It seems that the entire basis for his argument is centered around a single study in which 11 people (training experience not listed) engaged in “bodybuilding.”

Secondly, where are the credentials? The only thing I found is his name is “Prof. Dr. Andro”

his facebook page posts some odd things, I dunno what to make of it.

Let’s also not forget that more carbs equals more water weight, which is normally part of the “lean mass gained” portion.

Uh…what study?

Hi, salt adds water gains fast. This high carbs is likely to cause what i call inflammation, win quick and loose quick. Test it for 2 weeks stop, you are likely to loose most of it within 6 days.
Well you only got my 2 cents.
All the best!
PS. To fill up high volume might be required.

Dr. Andro?

Really?

lol

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Dr. Andro?

Really?

lol[/quote]

Yeah.

Though to be fair, the guy posts pretty much anything and everything so it’s worth reading sometimes. I don’t agree with most of it just based off personal experience, but I find his blog worth a weekly browse or so.

LOL…I think “bro science” is the phenomenon of dudes running around the internet thinking a google search is the same as a college degree.

“Hi, I’m Doctor Biceps…and I approve this message”.

-Dr Alexander B. Iceps, PhD in aquatic seaweed farming and a bachelors in drama

[quote]Professor X wrote:
LOL…I think “bro science” is the phenomenon of dudes running around the internet thinking a google search is the same as a college degree.

“Hi, I’m Doctor Biceps…and I approve this message”.

[/quote]

I LOL’d.

Anyways,

Interesting point though… and not trying to be a Martin/Lean Gains disciple, but he does recommend staying lower fat on your high calorie days to avoid fat gain and getting more carbs in. I think the idea is that excess calories are excess calories, but fat is easier to store, where as there are more metabolic processes necessary to store carbs as fat.

I know that kind of goes against the notion people have been stressing forever that “fat doesn’t make you fat, excess calories makes you fat”. But in the situation of excess calories, is it easier to get fat if your fat intake is higher? And I don’t mean macro % higher, but an actual # of grams.

[quote]gabex wrote:
I know that kind of goes against the notion people have been stressing forever that “fat doesn’t make you fat, excess calories makes you fat”. But in the situation of excess calories, is it easier to get fat if your fat intake is higher? And I don’t mean macro % higher, but an actual # of grams.[/quote]

Maybe, but that’s not been my personal experience.

The theory being that “increased dietary fat leads to a ramp-up of fat burning processes”. And when the dietary fat is gone, it can more efficiently extract energy from body fat. Whether that’s actually true, I don’t know.

But in my case, significantly increased fat intake has done nothing to make me fatter.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]gabex wrote:
I know that kind of goes against the notion people have been stressing forever that “fat doesn’t make you fat, excess calories makes you fat”. But in the situation of excess calories, is it easier to get fat if your fat intake is higher? And I don’t mean macro % higher, but an actual # of grams.[/quote]

Maybe, but that’s not been my personal experience.

The theory being that “increased dietary fat leads to a ramp-up of fat burning processes”. And when the dietary fat is gone, it can more efficiently extract energy from body fat. Whether that’s actually true, I don’t know.

But in my case, significantly increased fat intake has done nothing to make me fatter.[/quote]

I mean increased fat intake while increased calories and carbs. I understand that if you went high fat and controlled your carb intake then it wouldn’t really be an issue. But, I guess as an example, say you are maintaining at 2500 calories a day and were eating something like 225g pro, 225g carb, 80g fat and bumped calories up to 3000. If equally increasing carbs and fat, or increasing fat with an already higher carb intake would lead to more fat gain vs just adding in anther 125g carbs only.

Again, I know a calorie is a calorie to most extent. But if you don’t utilize all of the extra 500 cals, and your body has to do something with it… because carbs may have more metabolic processes to go through and a higher TEF, while fat may be easier to convert to store?

Again, this was just something I was thinking about recently as I was re-reading LeanGains articles, IF stuff, CBL, and other programs. Anytime I’ve ever tried to gain/bulk, I’ve never limited a macro (except timing), and I’ve never had the best results doing so (50/50 lbm/fat gain). Makes me wonder how I would do on a high carb (mod-low fat) surplus.

[quote]gabex wrote:
Anytime I’ve ever tried to gain/bulk, I’ve never limited a macro (except timing), and I’ve never had the best results doing so (50/50 lbm/fat gain). Makes me wonder how I would do on a high carb (mod-low fat) surplus.[/quote]

Try it and find out, you’d probably be happy with the results.

I don’t monitor my macros much anymore, but when I bump up the carbs(lots of rice and potatoes)I seem to recover much better. You don’t get the mental fatigue that you do with restricting carbs. I think that’s why carb nite is so popular right now. You can do your thing and your brain still gets it’s daily glucose fix.