An Idiot Tries TRT and Succeeds!

Spring of last year I tried TRT for the first time. Since we have no cool Docs in this little berg I live in I came to T-Nation and became my own Doc. Unfortunately and despite the best efforts of KS Man I wasn’t a very good Doc.

My little experiment was a huge failure leaving me feeling much worse than before I started. Stupid, tired and unhappy. But I am stubborn and so after some Bill Robert’s style shorty cycles I gave TRT another try and now after 3 mos i am feeling a whole lot like normal.

Except for 1 thing- I am still as stupid as a rock and still have difficulty, for example, with doing simple arithmetic in my head that i was fomerly able to easily do.

So my question is to those of you who can comment on how long it took to regain your cognitive function after you started TRT, if you regained it at all.

[quote]MichaelOH wrote:
Spring of last year I tried TRT for the first time. Since we have no cool Docs in this little berg I live in I came to T-Nation and became my own Doc. Unfortunately and despite the best efforts of KS Man I wasn’t a very good Doc.

My little experiment was a huge failure leaving me feeling much worse than before I started. Stupid, tired and unhappy. But I am stubborn and so after some Bill Robert’s style shorty cycles I gave TRT another try and now after 3 mos i am feeling a whole lot like normal.

Except for 1 thing- I am still as stupid as a rock and still have difficulty, for example, with doing simple arithmetic in my head that i was fomerly able to easily do.

So my question is to those of you who can comment on how long it took to regain your cognitive function after you started TRT, if you regained it at all. [/quote]

I’m curious too. Because of what I do for work, I’m unwilling to accept any cognitive function loss, which really affects my attitude towards TRT.

Brain fog and cognitive function loss are generally caused by elevated Estrogen levels, not elevated Testosterone levels.

I’ve been on HRT 2-1/2 years, and don’t have any “issues” other than the classic elevated interest in sex…

I guess I was a little unclear; my own stupidity was not the result of TRT but from the failure of it. I am very suspicious that I did have elevated E2 for a time last year. But the last BW, many months ago, E2 was 20. Yet I am still having trouble concentrating.

So I guess I am asking those of you who suffered cognitive decline due to declining T and rising E2 how long it took to reverse that on TRT, if it was reversed at all.

[quote]AlteredState wrote:
Why not consider nootropics?

For example, vinpocetine is a side-effect free herb that increases cerebral bloodflow and ATP synthesis in the higher cognitive functions. This aids the formation of new memory and the recal of old ones as well is generally restoring a level of optimum function to the brain.

It also:
*Inhibits the buildup of the ‘age pigment’ lipofuscin in neurons.
*Is a powerful neural anti-oxidant.
*Protects against reperfusion injury, post ischemic stroke.
*May halt or reverse symptoms of vascular senile dementia in certain people.

It’s about $9 for a month supply. I’m 34 and intand to use it for the rest of my life.[/quote]

Any place I can read some trials and research on them. So many herbs have such irregular results.

Guess part of my attitude towards TRT was summarized by reading the T-Nation editorial for the week-end.

The author was using a new product, it obviously had him buzzed. It also affected the quality of his writing, changing elements of his style, clarity and approach.

Too bad the lesser supplements don’t seem to work. If REZ-V or Alpha Male really punched t-levels, we wouldn’t need to be shopping TRT docs.

Anyway, guess that the golden bullet is at the doctor’s office.