An Effective, Detailed Protocol to Avoid TRT / AAS Induced Hair Loss

have you tried this?

No, I have plenty of hair for a 47 year old.

Hello, so just to confirm, we add the drops to the minoxidil bottle right before every time we apply it? Or we just add it once per bottle? And do we add the topical fin to the minoxidil as well? Thanks! Already have everything just wanted to confirm

Has anyone else used this to combat hair loss from trt and DHT

Topical finasteride isn’t a great idea IMO. It appears to lower serum DHT in a magnitude similar to oral finasteride. It sounds good in theory, but it gets into the blood just fine it seems. This thread is fairly old, so perhaps that info wasn’t out at the time.

I have heard topical dutasteride is much better at reducing DHT mostly at the scalp. Some will get into the blood and reduce serum DHT, but not at the magnitude of topical finasteride. I don’t know if there is any data out there (in regards to topical dutasteride in a clinical sense checking serum DHT and scalp DHT), but I have heard on other forums that using the topical dutasteride lowered serum DHT by 15%, but that is N=1. Topical finasteride seems to reduce DHT by about 80% IIRC.

Another benefit is it only needs to be applied twice a week compared to every day as the half life of dutasteride is longer than finasteride.

The is a topical now called RU58841 that seems promising, but it needs to be applied every day to work well. IMO, this looks to have the least side effects.

1 Like

Damn, good thread OP.

Has anyone else heard this because that mite explain why I’m losing hair?

So I have long hair like it comes down to my shoulders and when I have my hair up in a bun you can’t tell my hair is thining. Well today i decided that I no longer want long hair and I think it’s time for me to cut it short. When I got to the barber shop my barber told me my hair is thining so bad in the middle my scout will show if I cut it short and I’m only 32. TRT in ways has helped me and the only thing I can say it’s really helped me with is energy other then that I’m losing hair and I still have errection problems so i don’t know what todo anymore

If I stop TRT will my hair grow back?

Hair thinning is a potential sign that the thyroid needs help. Eye brows and etc will thin as well. Eventually thyroid symptoms will get worse (not all) and you will start gaining more symptoms like hot and cold too easily . Metabolism sucks and horrible fatigue to the point where sleep doesn’t cure it.

I believe the TRT hair loss is just that. Losing hair.

My wife is 35 and her hair was thinning. A year ago or less we started her on TRT and other female hormones plus thyroid. As of this month she’s noticed a massive increase in new hair and thickness.

She did lose hair the first few months as OP stated, but eventually we saw large patches of new hair.

I would definitely look into thyroid before jumping head first into TRT hair loss solutions.

1 Like

I hope it’s okay to post this here, as I didn’t want to make a new topic.

So I’ve been on trt for about two months now. 120mg of cypionate a week, 500iu hcg 3x a week. Before therapy, my testosterone levels got to about 400 after doing clomid for several months, and before that my numbers were around 180-350. Two weeks ago, my free testosterone was at 508, so it’s not climbing super fast.

I just got my DHT checked and the doc said it was low normal.

However, since about a week and a half ago, I’ve been experiencing severely rapid hair loss. There is no genetic predisposition in my family, on either side, for hair loss. I developed a very pronounced widow’s peak, and my rate of hair growth has gone from super rapid to a snail’s pace.

My doc isn’t sure what’s causing it if my DHT levels are within normal range. I started topical finasteride and minoxidil five days ago, and it seems to be slowing down the rate of hair loss.

Has anyone here experienced something similar? I can’t quit the therapy because I’ve been miserable over the last decade with this low t, but I really have to get my hair back.

There doesn’t have to be a lack of a genetic predisposition in the family for you to lose your hair.

DHT blockers aren’t recommended, this is why your DHT is low normal. There are lots of other tissues (brain, sex organs, skin etc.) that rely on DHT. The long term health consequences aren’t worth it.

Do you think that a certain amount of DHT is needed, or that it needs to be a ratio (with FT, E2??)? Many on TRT are over range on DHT. Does using a DHT blocker to get to normal range cause issues?

Oh, I got my DHT tested the same day that I applied my first topical finasteride/minoxidil. It couldn’t possibly have dropped it that quickly, could it have?

And that’s interesting about genetics. I wonder why so many people, my doctor included, were so sure about it.

So you had been on TRT, and tested blood and DHT came back low normal. Then you applied topical finasteride for the first time? If you did it before the blood work, then it might be throwing off your DHT numbers. It works pretty quickly.

If you are losing hair, and your DHT is actually low normal, while on TRT, and before finasteride use, you are in a tough spot.

I think the guys who lose hair with low to low normal DHT tend to be the ones who get side effects with DHT blockers. I believe you need a certain amount of DHT (not a ratio necessarily, or at least I am not convinced of it). If you are losing hair with shy high DHT, then DHT blockers might work well of you. If you are losing with low DHT, I think blocking it results in a lot of sides for most.

Edit: it appears you did so before. I don’t think you can trust your DHT blood work as an example of what you natural DHT level is.

So the timeline was basically I started losing hair very quickly, I told my doc, he prescribed the topical finasteride, and about five hours after my first application of the stuff I got blood drawn for the DHT test. I just found out today that the levels were low normal.

5 hours is enough to impact your DHT levels if you took a normal dose of 1 mg. IIRC, the maximum effect is at 8 hours.

Ah interesting. It wasn’t 1mg, but much smaller amounts as it was topical and mixed in with minaxidil by the compounding pharmacy.

Yes it does. It’s common to hear reports of DHT being mid-range or in the normal ranges the entire time while on finasteride and down the road problems still occur. Whenever you fuck with a hormonal pathway, it’s a cascade of dysfunction that can affect multiple other pathways.

An example some of the worst cases of PFS see a tripling of testosterone and these guys are the worst cases.

Maybe, but if this DHT result was before the finasteride/minoxidil, then that means it’s probably lower. Others have seen insane elevations in SHBG and estrogen.

Topical finasteride can still lower serum DHT levels, anything that gets in the skin can enter the bloodstream. Household cleaners, disinfectant wipes can get in the bloodstream.

I did this too. Was on test and HCG. Masssive shed. Dropped HCG and over the next 60 days things seemed to stabilize. When I added primo my hair actually got much thicker and I was carrrying a tot test of around 1100 with estrogen in low 20s. I think the ratio or spread has an effect at least for me, as when I had high e and moderate test levels my hair seemed thinner.