T Nation

An Effect of Accutane... Or?

So I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge as to whether my situation is an effect of Accutane (because they stressed to me a lot not to workout ‘hard’), or is something like food poisoning, flu, etc.

I started in mid Feb at 80mg/day. In April I pulled 405, which was a PR that I had been shooting for. After hitting that PR, I decided I needed to focus on my lagging squat (and bench). The only deadlifting I would be doing would be RDL’s.

In the beginning of July, I wanted to start deadlifting. I follow an upper/lower split based off WS4SB. I began by doing rack pulls and was going to cycle in deadlifts the next week. I did 365x5 from below the knee. This felt really heavy for me. The next day I was sore head to toe, and extremely exhausted. For the next week, I could hardly eat, had cold sweats, a fever, massive diarrhea (lol sorry TMI). I just assumed I had food poisoning.

Now, last Thur, I tried deadlifting again. I pulled 365 for a single. Not bad for not really deadlifting in 4 months, however not good. It also felt heavy. I finished the workout, and then Friday mid way through the day I began to feel like hell at work.

For the past 3 days I have had the same symptoms return. I can’t eat anything without having to go to the bathroom immediately afterwards. Today I checked the scale and I’ve lost 8lbs.

Now I am wondering, is it possible (yet coincidental) that I got food poisoning twice in ~30 days? Or could this be what they warned me about, working out hard, etc? I actually only had 2 days left on Friday and I just threw them out. I didn’t need them anyways and I’m not going to be taking them when I am sick.

My new insurance isn’t effective til Sept 1 so I didn’t go to the Dr yet. I don’t know that they’ll really have much to tell me anyways. Just hoping to hear from others if they’ve experience anything similar.

I don’t know your medical history etc, so I won’t comment on that.

But, is your accutane prescribed by a doctor? First time taking it? Have you ever tried a lower dose, such as 10-20mg a day?

I’ve had great success with this approach with minimal side effects.

I have never taken such a high dose, but I did have the occasional bit of nausea and mild headaches.

Prescribed by a doctor, and actually I am done with it now… well stopped 2 days early on Friday when I started feeling ill. I personally don’t think I needed to go high dose like that, but insurance would only cover for certain amount of months, so we had to go that route to reach a cumulative dose.

I just can’t imagine its a coincidence to have happen like this.

Oh yeah, and no real medical problems… and all my blood tests have come back fine.

Did you eat anything out of the ordinary that could have triggered this?

It sounds like it could be the accutane, it is quite liver toxic, expecially at that dose. I am not a doctor, so I couldn’t tell you that pushing yourself too hard on Accutane could cause those symptoms but it wouldn’t surprise me either.

Has the accutane cleared up your acne? Are you going to be doing a repeat cycle?

BTW, after not pulling for 4 months and then going back to it - it IS going to feel heavy.

Nothing too out of the ordinary either of the times. My diet is pretty much consistent of milk eggs meat whole wheat breads/pasta fruits and [some] veggies.

Friday I ate bison (which I don’t normally eat) but I didn’t have it the time before.

Acne is completely gone, even the kind that nobody else notices but yourself, and not planning on going on another cycle.

And I understand that pulling will feel heavy, I just didn’t think that heavy.

I’m told it takes 30 days to clear your system. I am wondering if I can go heavy after that, too. Today I’m still struggling a bit with a headache and trouble eating. I am trying to drink a lot of gatorade to get in some calories/liquids. I’m not sure how long this will go on or that a DR will even have any insight besides ‘drink plenty of fluids and rest’.

Thanks for the replies by the way.

No worries.

Personally, I would just take it easy for the next month just to get back to normal. Perhaps some extra anti-oxidants, vitamins and liver tonic to help your body recover quicker.

If it does turn out to be the accutane, it would suck to get sick like that again before it’s cleared your system.

Ultimately, your doctor should be able to tell you what’s going on, provided he/she is a good one.

I just started on 40 mg/day last Tuesday so it’s probably too early to attribute anything out of the ordinary to that. It’s also half the dose you took, but I took the same dose about 5 years ago (I was 17) while playing varsity basketball for my high school and I had no problems. Bloodwork was fine, and I only had mild headaches from time to time. It also made me thirsty, but I never felt really sick or weak the way you described.

If I happen to feel that way then I will let you know, but I doubt it was from the Accutane.

BTW Accutane is completely worth the side effects IMO.

[quote]Birdman31 wrote:
BTW Accutane is completely worth the side effects IMO.[/quote]

I could not disagree more, but our side affects were as different as night and day.

I would NEVER use accutane again, even if it did help my acne somewhat.

[quote]Magnate wrote:
I could not disagree more, but our side affects were as different as night and day.

I would NEVER use accutane again, even if it did help my acne somewhat. [/quote]

Accutane is crap. I took it when I was 17 and again at 20. I’ve been dealing with chronic fatigue and depression ever since, along with bad joint pain. For many people it is a godsend and have no lasting negative effects. Other’s, I wouldn’t wish the permanent side effects on anyone.

Here is a forum dedicated to Accutane users;

Horror stories galore.

Again, not every gets bad side effects, but there is a minority that do, and the risk is not worth it IMO.

[quote]Dopa wrote:
Again, not every gets bad side effects, but there is a minority that do, and the risk is not worth it IMO.[/quote]

The risk was WELL worth it IMO. Low dose accutane largely (from what I heard from others) left then virtually side effect free.

After getting acne from about 15, I thought it would clear up - yet at 22 I still had it. 4 months later I was clear and nothing more than a few spots every now and then.

hahah good old accutane…

started taking in grade 11…for the longest while i had the worst acne ever…man it was bad… the acutane made my lips constantly chapped…eating sucked, had to carry around chap stick all the time,and for awhile the Acne got even worse!. However i stuck to it and just around feb-march that year things had improved HUGELY. Since then my acne has been very undercontroll and my face rarely ever breaks out. I sometimes wonder if taking the stuff permantely changed me…or perhaps i just grew out of having terrible acne,. Not sure which

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
4 months later I was clear and nothing more than a few spots every now and then.[/quote]

I’m happy for you, however not everyone remains clear after coming off. It managed to reduce the frequency of my cystic acne, the smaller pimples it had nearly no effect on and I still have at least one cyst on me at any given time (3 right now, one on my face two on my back). Was your acne less severe when you began your regiment?

Sure I got chapped lips, dry skin, and cracks in the corner of my mouth. Those were the worst side effects I dealt with. Sometimes I felt really tired, sometimes I got headaches, but I can’t blame those on the drug alone.

What I am concerned with is, whether Accutane can cause such a shutdown of the body like I experience from putting too much stress on it (deadlifting heavy).

[quote]Magnate wrote:
RSGZ wrote:
4 months later I was clear and nothing more than a few spots every now and then.

I’m happy for you, however not everyone remains clear after coming off. It managed to reduce the frequency of my cystic acne, the smaller pimples it had nearly no effect on and I still have at least one cyst on me at any given time (3 right now, one on my face two on my back). Was your acne less severe when you began your regiment?[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve known a few people who it doesn’t work for too. I really feel for you guys, I know how much shit I had with it.

My acne did get slightly better as I got older, but there would be times where it would flare up for 3-4months for no apparent reason. Not to mention if I lifted, my scars and spots would get so red I looked like a tomato on the lower half of my face. I only had cysts around 17-18 - once incredibly nasty one was a good 3/4 of an inch long.

How old are you?

UGH, im so fucking glad not to have those huge cysts, i remember i had one on each side of my fac right where the neck met the jaw bone, couple inches below my ear. lasted for months. i think i might have some permanent scaring from it.

Digestive problems (diarrhea, stomach pain) is listed as a rare side effect of Accutane.

I’ve also heard one rare side-effects of Accutane is that it could trigger Inflammatory Bowel Disease in those susceptible. There’s been lawsuits about it.

http://www.accutanenews.com/crohns_disease.html

You probably have a virus or food poisoning, but if it doesn’t get better, then definitely report it to the doctor.

[quote]Reef wrote:
Digestive problems (diarrhea, stomach pain) is listed as a rare side effect of Accutane.

I’ve also heard one rare side-effects of Accutane is that it could trigger Inflammatory Bowel Disease in those susceptible. There’s been lawsuits about it.

http://www.accutanenews.com/crohns_disease.html

You probably have a virus or food poisoning, but if it doesn’t get better, then definitely report it to the doctor.[/quote]

Right, but it began with a overall soreness, then a headache, then my body got frigidly cold, and I began to get cold sweats. The bathroom problems came next, and from there I struggled to get food in me that didn’t cause the problem to repeat.

I want to believe it was a virus/food poisoning. However, 2 times in 30 days is kind of ironic… especially with the timing of it occurring right after heavy pulling.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
Magnate wrote:
RSGZ wrote:
4 months later I was clear and nothing more than a few spots every now and then.

I’m happy for you, however not everyone remains clear after coming off. It managed to reduce the frequency of my cystic acne, the smaller pimples it had nearly no effect on and I still have at least one cyst on me at any given time (3 right now, one on my face two on my back). Was your acne less severe when you began your regiment?

Yeah, I’ve known a few people who it doesn’t work for too. I really feel for you guys, I know how much shit I had with it.

My acne did get slightly better as I got older, but there would be times where it would flare up for 3-4months for no apparent reason. Not to mention if I lifted, my scars and spots would get so red I looked like a tomato on the lower half of my face. I only had cysts around 17-18 - once incredibly nasty one was a good 3/4 of an inch long.

How old are you?[/quote]

I am 18, did my cycle when I was 14 and was told at the time I would have to do another more than likely because of my age at the time. Ive had cystic acne since i was 11 or 12.