T Nation

An Aspirin a Day. Do You?

I've read in several places that a low does aspirin a day is something people should look into after they turn 35. I can't see a thread here on this topic and I'm interested in your thoughts since many people have are far more informed about the body/supplements/etc. than the average Joe.

Rek

Enteric coated 81 mg honestly is the best thing you can do to keep your blood thinned to help with preventing AMI (Acute Myocardial Infarction) Heart Attack. Any more than that can lead to excessive bleeding, good luck on DL day and shaving cuts.

does working out have an impact on daily aspirin I wonder? I also wonder if it should be timed differently for those of us that workout.
I've read about people getting serious bruising from the 81 mg dose and had to stop.

I have been taking the asprin 1@s day for years. Dr. Oz says take the asprin at bedtime, since most heart attacks happen in the morning, thin the blood ahead of time and miss out on having the heart attack.

Ive never taken an aspirin. Seriously. Now I feel all nervous.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

One thing about medicine you learn early on, nobody has the same body composition. One guy will bruise where another will not. Most people forget also that Motrin/Aleve type medications also will thin the blood. As most of us probably use some of these from time to time for our aches and pains. That combination with the Aspirin can make you bruise. Motrin/Aleve do not have the same heart prevention properties as Aspirin so before you ask. Hard to fight the data that is out there for a daily 81mg Aspirin.

If you have a strong family history for heart attacks early in life then you need to start. If you do not have that family history it is probably best to start when you hit that 40 mark. As a rough estimate. Again family and personal history is what dictates this.

I wonder if fish oil might have the same effect. My doc said that in the doses I'm taking, 6-8 grams daily, it has a blood thinning effect and to watch taking a lot of aspirin at the same time.

I have not seen studies saying this, however I have been out of family practice for a couple of years now.

made me look it up...

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-fishoil.html

"There is evidence from multiple studies supporting intake of recommended amounts of DHA and EPA in the form of dietary fish or fish oil supplements lowers triglycerides, reduces the risk of death, heart attack, dangerous abnormal heart rhythms, and strokes in people with known cardiovascular disease, slows the buildup of atherosclerotic plaques ("hardening of the arteries"), and lowers blood pressure slightly. However, high doses may have harmful effects, such as an increased risk of bleeding."

Interesting read. The only thing I will say is that you really cant go real high dose cause you will be shoting liquid out your backside. In the 30-40 year age group I would say stick with the fish oil and leave the ASA for the over 50 crowd. Again unless you have a father, grandfather die at a young age from a heart attack.

Oh I'm with you on that. I'd rather stick to my 6-8 grams of fish oil and not do aspirin on a daily basis.

You take 6-8 grams, isn't that, well, a lot?

probably not - at one time I took 18 or so daily with no noticeable ill effects.

or curcumin, for the anti-inflam

How much of that have you taken, I got a couple of bottles and had okay but not great resutls.

asprin and other over the counter pain killer have a damning effect on protein synthesis also or so I have read in some studies. So taking them will have a damning effect on your ability to grow muscle.

I just started on low dose coated aspirin a month or so ago. No real problems with bruising or anything else.
I figure if it helps, great and if not it is such a low dose (81mg) won't matter. I do have a high risk factor due to family heart issues, so might as well.

BB