An Article About Big Men

Okay, it may actually be about NFL linemen, but I’m sure there’s people around here who can relate to the article, the kind of attention they receive, and the daily struggles they have to go through. I thought it was pretty interesting, for being such a short read.

[quote]SSC wrote:
Okay, it may actually be about NFL linemen, but I’m sure there’s people around here who can relate to the article, the kind of attention they receive, and the daily struggles they have to go through. I thought it was pretty interesting, for being such a short read.

[/quote]

I can relate to a tiny degree, but 99% of that article was guys who get paid freakish amounts of money, complaining about how big they are. Yeah, it sucks to be them.

Makes me happy I stopped growing vertically once I hit about 6’4’'.

Even at my height, things can be a pain in the ass. I have trouble getting in a lot of cars, I hit my head on the roofs constantly. Sometimes I have to crouch just to sit in a car without my head touching the top… and I’m just regular tall.

For a man that’s 6’8’'… I can’t really imagine what that must be like.

[quote]imhungry wrote:
SSC wrote:

I can relate to a tiny degree, but 99% of that article was guys who get paid freakish amounts of money, complaining about how big they are. Yeah, it sucks to be them.[/quote]

Just curious, are you saying this tongue-in-cheek? NFL linemen do not get paid “freakish” amount of money, especially compared to
star players, and ESPECIALLY compared to NBA, MLB, and NHL athletes.

Yet they’re pushed to physically develop as large of a physique as they possibly can while they play, only to have the league turn their back on the players when their health concerns and implications arise from a lifestyle like that after they retire.

I’m not calling you out, I’m just honestly not sure if you realize how bad the league screws over their linemen.

“The average 320-pound football player actually runs on somewhere between 3,800 and 4,200 calories a day in-season.”

good, funny article/video but i dont think that statistic is anything but false

[quote]SSC wrote:

Just curious, are you saying this tongue-in-cheek? NFL linemen do not get paid “freakish” amount of money, especially compared to

Yet they’re pushed to physically develop as large of a physique as they possibly can while they play, only to have the league turn their back on the players when their health concerns and implications arise from a lifestyle like that after they retire.

I’m not calling you out, I’m just honestly not sure if you realize how bad the league screws over their linemen.[/quote]

Minimum salary for ANYONE contracted to a team is 265k/year(that’s undrafted rookies basically), and goes up based on years you’ve been in the league. Also, those were some pro-bowl/star players in that article, that are definitely making 7 figures+

It’s not FREAKISH amounts of money, but it’s enough that they can keep their tears to their pillows.

[quote]SSC wrote:
imhungry wrote:
SSC wrote:

I can relate to a tiny degree, but 99% of that article was guys who get paid freakish amounts of money, complaining about how big they are. Yeah, it sucks to be them.

I’m not calling you out, I’m just honestly not sure if you realize how bad the league screws over their linemen.[/quote]

From what I had gathered from your initial post, I was under the impression that you were comparing the size issues with the NFL linemen, and how the average, larger than average guy, can relate to them.

I’m not comparing their pay to any other professional sport, i’m comparing their pay to mine, which is a freakish amount of money to me. They can afford to get their clothes tailor made, and have a lot more options than the average guy.

All jobs have their drawbacks, and to a tiny degree I can sympathize with the health risks that comes with their job, but not much.

That article sucked. Regular clothes too small? Go to a Men’s Big&Tall. It’s not that complicated. And the calorie requirement part was obviously BS. At 6’8 360, I seriously doubt a man could play NFL football and lift with 4,000 calories.

Their strength coach makes them stay away from beef and sour cream, it sounds like?

It’s like they’re eating to lose weight, while needing to stay big, and doing things to make you bigger. WTF is a standard dietitian doing with professional athletes?

[quote]imhungry wrote:
From what I had gathered from your initial post, I was under the impression that you were comparing the size issues with the NFL linemen, and how the average, larger than average guy, can relate to them.

I’m not comparing their pay to any other professional sport, i’m comparing their pay to mine, which is a freakish amount of money to me. They can afford to get their clothes tailor made, and have a lot more options than the average guy.

All jobs have their drawbacks, and to a tiny degree I can sympathize with the health risks that comes with their job, but not much.[/quote]

Right. I do generally agree, I’d love to have a 250K salary a year. You were right, my initial post was actually more focused on the aspect of how people perceive their size and statures, similar to bodybuilding. In hindsight, I’m not really even sure why I posted the article.

[quote]msd0060 wrote:
Their strength coach makes them stay away from beef and sour cream, it sounds like?

It’s like they’re eating to lose weight, while needing to stay big, and doing things to make you bigger. WTF is a standard dietitian doing with professional athletes?[/quote]

And I was actually wondering this same thing. I’m really curious as to the type of dietary recommendations those guys are giving their players. Whatever, it must be working… haha.

[quote]SSC wrote:
msd0060 wrote:

It’s like they’re eating to lose weight, while needing to stay big, and doing things to make you bigger. WTF is a standard dietitian doing with professional athletes?

And I was actually wondering this same thing. I’m really curious as to the type of dietary recommendations those guys are giving their players. Whatever, it must be working… haha.[/quote]

It’s probably working because those guys are cheating. The dude in the article was sneaking off to a Taco Bell, and they also get plenty of liquid calories from gatorade, etc.

I’m willing to bet that the dietitians knowingly turn a blind eye to this, because if they actually recommended those guys eat a lot of red meat and other calorie dense foods the insurance risk would be huge.

Not that red meat actually causes heart-attacks, but that is the general perception, and if any one of those guys keeled over on the playing field they would have one hell of a lawsuit.

[quote]All2ez wrote:
“The average 320-pound football player actually runs on somewhere between 3,800 and 4,200 calories a day in-season.”

good, funny article/video but i dont think that statistic is anything but false[/quote]

interesting, im 6’ft 200 and i eat more than that LOL

I remember reading Michael Phelps as consuming 10k calories a day.

I think he’s around 6’ and 180 lbs.

That is a huge load of bullshit. I don’t burn nearly as many calories on a daily basis as these guys do during the season and I eat way more than that just to maintain my body weight at relatively near the same size.

Why would they lie about that? I mean, I know they lie about some of these guy’s playing weights also, but they just featured him sneaking off to Taco Bell (like that doesn’t happen daily) so clearly, even if their “dietitian” lists them at only 4,200cals a day, let’s add on another 2-3,000 for the several trips to Mc Donald’s that they aren’t aware of.

LOL.

That obese guy who was trapped in his bed also claimed he only ate 2,000cals a day…until they filmed him eating twice that much at “First Breakfast”.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

That is a huge load of bullshit. I don’t burn nearly as many calories on a daily basis as these guys do during the season and I eat way more than that just to maintain my body weight at relatively near the same size.

Why would they lie about that? I mean, I know they lie about some of these guy’s playing weights also, but they just featured him sneaking off to Taco Bell (like that doesn’t happen daily) so clearly, even if their “dietitian” lists them at only 4,200cals a day, let’s add on another 2-3,000 for the several trips to Mc Donald’s that they aren’t aware of.

LOL.

That obese guy who was trapped in his bed also claimed he only ate 2,000cals a day…until they filmed him eating twice that much at “First Breakfast”.[/quote]

I agree. Same bs as you hear about pro bodybuilders where people only hear about their contest diets (which are most likely bs too) and then tell everyone that the whole massive eating is a lie and that the pro eats like that year round.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Professor X wrote:

LOL.

That obese guy who was trapped in his bed also claimed he only ate 2,000cals a day…until they filmed him eating twice that much at “First Breakfast”.

I agree. Same bs as you hear about pro bodybuilders where people only hear about their contest diets (which are most likely bs too) and then tell everyone that the whole massive eating is a lie and that the pro eats like that year round.

[/quote]

I’ve seen some of those guys (heavy weight/superheavy bodybuilders) on a binge at a Burger place and they make me seem like I’m anorexic.

I just hate that someone is going to read that, skip over the part where he sneaks in meals, and assume that you somehow get that damned big by only eating 3,000cals a day.

I would assume someone had a thyroid problem if they could get that big on only 3,000cals a day and I can’t believe they are even wasting the time to pretend as if they only eat that much for the NFL just so it looks good on paper.

I agree with one of the posters above that this may be an insurance issue considering if they claim on paper that they recommend 8,000+cals a day that someone may hold them liable for any health problems.

[quote]Otep wrote:
I remember reading Michael Phelps as consuming 10k calories a day.

I think he’s around 6’ and 180 lbs. [/quote]

And the ladies find him dreamy, so he’s obviously the pinnacle of physical development.

I have been getting in 4,000 calories a day and I am 5’7, barely 170. I emailed someone at Baja Fresh to make sure how much protein and calories were in an order of ‘extra steak’ when I add it to my Ultimo Burrito. Works out to about 1200 calories, by the way, each time I order it. That does not include the grilled mahi mahi taco I have as an appetizer.

I also make sure to empty the bowl of limes when I go there.