T Nation

An Apology

I just wanted to apologize about the pointless and insulting posts that have been plaguing this area of the forum.

I have two choices. We don’t like censoring any more than we have to, but it would be pretty easy to delete any and all derogatory posts that come through.

Or, we could just continue to let them through so the authors can get verbally pounded by the sane people.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
TC

How about killing a thread after the second person requests it? That keeps things from coming back, like quadenbushes (or whatever)'s attack on Waterbury.
Something like that?

Even though I do not frequent the strength forum i would say continue to let them through and let the authors get their come-upins. If they persist with their deragatory post then simply ban them.

TC, I always wanted to know what kind of dog that was in your avatar. It’s a pretty cool looking dog.

[quote]Atomic Dog wrote:
I just wanted to apologize about the pointless and insulting posts that have been plaguing this area of the forum.

I have two choices. We don’t like censoring any more than we have to, but it would be pretty easy to delete any and all derogatory posts that come through.

Or, we could just continue to let them through so the authors can get verbally pounded by the sane people.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
TC
[/quote]

Seeing as I was one of the pounded a short while ago, let me say that we should be allowed to voice our opinion. For some like me it becomes a learning tool. That being said, the ones being mean spirited just to be dumb should have their street address and phone #'s posted–by accident of course.

No need to censor. I’m assuming you are refering to the “powerlifters are fat and stupid” posts. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Personally, I would rather put up with the ignorant posts than have the mods censor people. But that’s just me.

Let 'em through. They amuse me and I’m sure most of us should have thick enough skins to participate in online discussions and not take ignorant comments too personally, right?

[quote]Atomic Dog wrote:
Any opinions?
[/quote]

An opinion which has been mentioned before:

Keep it out of the top ten when it gets out of control.

For those that don’t have respect for others…86 them for a week or whatever.

Let the marketplace of ideas predominate. Don’t censor. Assholes will point themselves out. The only people they embarrass are themselves. Anyone considering himself/herself a T-Man or Vixen should be strong enough to let the criticism bounce harmless off them.

Just my $0.02.

[quote]sam747 wrote:
TC, I always wanted to know what kind of dog that was in your avatar. It’s a pretty cool looking dog.[/quote]

Slightly off topic there, but I’ll venture a guess…
Looks like a an American Pitbull Terrier (a.k.a American Staffordshire Terrier) to me. Looks similar in the shape of it’s head to mine.

TC,
Whew! For a second, I thought that I was the only one who noticed!
I’d hate to see censorship take over, though. It leaves too open the question of where to draw the line on censored/uncensored material.
Unfortunately, it may end up being the best solution in the future, though.

I think the biggest problem with all of this is that the T-Nation (us- in general, not the contrib.ed’s) has lost it’s focus on why we came to this site to begin with. Three years ago when I discovered T-Mag, it was geared to really help those that were serious about improving themselves, as well as testosterone-driven humor. It was always in the spirit of good fun and encouragement- If someone was doing something wrong, point them in the right direction.

Now it seems to be a bitch session of why any opinion other that the author of the post is wrong. You either voted for the wrong guy, lift wrong, look wrong, think wrong, or like the wrong things. Nowadays, if someone isn’t an expert on lifting and has questions, he’s more likely to get flamed for being an idiot or a dumbass rather than be encouraged or pushed in the right direction. Also, humor is out of the question because it’s sure to offend SOMEBODY.

Bring back “Dangerously Hardcore”. Let’s get rid of “Dangerously-walking-on-eggshells”, “Dangerously Political”, “Dangerously Offendable”, and “Dangerously Don’t Ask if you Don’t Know”. They don’t have the same appeal.

Also, bring back more “Atomic Dog” articles and humorous blogs from Shugart- we could all use a few more good laughs…

[quote]sam747 wrote:
TC, I always wanted to know what kind of dog that was in your avatar. It’s a pretty cool looking dog.[/quote]

Looks like a pit…

It’s an Atomic Dog Funkadelic!

[quote]sam747 wrote:

Still off topic… I looked at the pic from the actual jpg (properties of the icon) and on second thought, it might be the Pitbull/Amstaff’s shorter & smaller cousin the Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

Wait, why did I just type all this? Must be 'cause I love those breeds so much.

sam, check the archives he wrote up an article about the dog… :smiley:

I’m plannin on gettin my own T-pup soon.

It is even easier to ignore a thread you don’t like then an image you don’t like. Let the discussion go on.

TC, maybe you can talk to Tim or someone about this, but it would be cool to have some sort of an ‘ignore’ option. so that if someone posts something and they’re being a dick, then the readers can choose to ignore this person themself.

Thus YOU aren’t doing any censoring.

I thought insults were the primary form of communication between men from 12 to 150.

What kind of insults are we talking about here?

It’s a delicate balance.

On the one hand, you don’t want to drive away people who don’t really care to read a bunch of threads with people flaming others, deserved or not. After all, that’s not really the purpose of the site.

On the other hand, a good solid slap-down is a pretty effective deterrent to stupidity… sometimes. That only works when the stupidity is momentary. When it is innate, sometimes the slap-down only provokes more stupidity.

With those thoughts, I would say that a couple approaches would work best. First, if someone repeatedly demonstrates innate stupidity without evidence of rehabilitation potential, ban the account. Second, if a few people (more than just two, let’s say four or five) request it, delete the thread.

An example of someone who doesn’t fit the first criteria (sorry to call you out, but here goes…) is BruceLeeWannabe. His first few posts were really stupid and somewhat inflammatory. He still has a tendency to post some ass-kissing posts to attempt “in-crowd” status, but the quality of his posts, in general, has improved.

I don’t think I need to provide examples of people who do fit the first criteria. They are obvious enough.

That’s my take…

Let people have heated debates and discussions, but don’t let people make personal attacks.

Attack each others issues instead of each other.

As long as it is kept professional then it should be okay.