T Nation

Amy's Just Beginning

Hi everyone, im a newbie to this site, and only just starting out so any tips with diet and exercise would be very much appreciated!
My name is Amy, im 23 and live in Australia. I have just been diagnosed with Hypoglaecemia, so I have had to dramatically change my diet, and am very keen to change my body shape!

I dont have a lot of strength in my arms, so that is something I need to work on. Also, I have lost the muscle that usually sits below the hips and above the thighs.
The doctor has put me on a high carb (low GI) and protein diet and im taking a brand of protein powder called Musashi (might be an aussie brand, not sure).
I have started off slow with the weights and exercise so if anyone thinks I could be trying something else, please let me know!!!

This is what I am doing at the moment:
Twice a week - Running (mix of walking and running) for 40 minutes.
3 times a week - Calf stretches - reps of 20 seconds, 20 lunges each leg, push ups (knees bent, up against lounge) x 10, reverse crunches x 20, plank - hold for one minute, curl and press x 20, bent over row x 20.

Ive added a few pics below…

Do you have access to a gym with a power rack/squat rack?

If you are really interested in weighlifting as opposed to just “exercise” buy the book “New Rules of Lifting for Women” by Lou Schuler, Cassandra Forsythe and Alwyn Cosgrove. Go to Amazon.com

I think it’s a great start for a beginner to get into lifting.

There are plenty of other brands other musashi out there, i find it tastes like absolute crap.
Read, Study, Practice, Learn from mistakes.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:

If you are really interested in weighlifting as opposed to just “exercise” buy the book “New Rules of Lifting for Women” by Lou Schuler, Cassandra Forsythe and Alwyn Cosgrove. Go to Amazon.com

I think it’s a great start for a beginner to get into lifting.[/quote]

Yeah, I definately want to lift, but also tone. So ive been told that “Body Sculpting” with give me both. I would love to know how to build the muscle back up between my thighs and hips, because as you can see, its very noticable!!!

I notice in the first picture you don’t have a head, but in the second picture you do. Did you grow that as a result of your training???(just kidding)

You’ve come to the right place. You’ll get tons of advice and lots of support and a couple of smart asses along the way.

Try to improve every workout. Even if it’s only a little bit. ALWAYS make progress in something. It’s possible and it will change your mindset as well as your body.

Bodyweight exercises are a great place to start and also a great place to fall back on when you don’t have access to a gym. You can do a killer workout with just a picnic table, a jug of water, a concrete block or a big rock.

Remember, all over-night success stories take at least 7 years.

Good luck.

TNT

[quote]Psiren wrote:
There are plenty of other brands other musashi out there, i find it tastes like absolute crap.
Read, Study, Practice, Learn from mistakes.[/quote]

I actually really like the taste of it. Its some kind of chocolate flavour, and because my hypoglaecemic diet doesnt allow chocolate, its a nice treat for me!

[quote]amylouise_3 wrote:
Yo Momma wrote:

Yeah, I definately want to lift, but also tone. So ive been told that “Body Sculpting” with give me both. I would love to know how to build the muscle back up between my thighs and hips, because as you can see, its very noticable!!!

[/quote]

Excuse my ignorance, but what is “Body Sculpting”?

Also, what are your goals? If you want to gain more muscle are you okay with seeing the scale go up? And as Yo Momma asked, do you have access to a gym or will you just be doing it at home? If so, what equipment do you have available at your house?

Hey Amy,
Looks like you are just starting out, good for you.
Did you get your program from the gym (the running etc.)?
Momma never lies: get the book she is recommending. It will show you how to build up your strength and lose body fat. When you build muscle and drop fat, you will achieve the “toned” look you are after.

I hate to be the one to tell you, but “body sculpting” is a load of crap. Work hard and don’t be afraid of heavy weight (heavy is a relative term here, your resistance workout should be a challenge, but not kill you flat out. You want to be able to move the next day!)
Keep up the intensity and give it your all, good luck!
Diana

[quote]Court wrote:
amylouise_3 wrote:
Yo Momma wrote:

Excuse my ignorance, but what is “Body Sculpting”?

Also, what are your goals? If you want to gain more muscle are you okay with seeing the scale go up? And as Yo Momma asked, do you have access to a gym or will you just be doing it at home? If so, what equipment do you have available at your house?
[/quote]

My doctor has told me to gain about 5 kilos. So I guess my goal is to gain weight, but not fat. I want to gain muscle, especially in my arms, and I would like definition in my calves. I would like to slim my thighs down, but gain back the muscle that is supposed to sit just above my thighs (very obvious, as per my pics!!!). Also, since the weight loss, I have gone down 2 cup sizes in my breasts, which im not happy about!!! I just hope these goals arent unrealistic!

I do have access to a gym, its at work and I have never used it before, but am willing to start. But I have been doing my workout at home, and I dont have any equipment there.

Hi Amy, good for you, if I could offer any advice it would be don’t make the mistakes I did when you start- your in the right place (T-Nation), I should have put those Oxygen magazines down a long time ago…don’t be afraid to lift heavy (you wont blow up overnight, and judging by your physique it looks like your more of a hardgainer), watch your nutrition, i’d say watch the carbs, but don’t cut calories too much, this can be counter productive, and one of my mistakes was crazy amounts of cardio… personally Ive been up and down on the scale so much, but with the increase of knowledge from this site, I know have the tools and know how to get down to where i want to be and doing it the right way (rely on your nutrition)-its just up to my willpower now, good luck!

[quote]mma_girl wrote:
Hi Amy, good for you, if I could offer any advice it would be don’t make the mistakes I did when you start- your in the right place (T-Nation), I should have put those Oxygen magazines down a long time ago…don’t be afraid to lift heavy (you wont blow up overnight, and judging by your physique it looks like your more of a hardgainer), watch your nutrition, i’d say watch the carbs, but don’t cut calories too much, this can be counter productive, and one of my mistakes was crazy amounts of cardio… personally Ive been up and down on the scale so much, but with the increase of knowledge from this site, I know have the tools and know how to get down to where i want to be and doing it the right way (rely on your nutrition)-its just up to my willpower now, good luck![/quote]

Thanks :slight_smile: Ive only just started, and already I feel like I have lots of support :)I have definately come to the right place!