Amt Of Protein Per Serving

I’ve heard that one can’t digest and use more than 50g of protein per meal. Is there any legitmacy to this? I’m try to plan out my meals according to this rule, but with class, it has the tendency to force me to combine to meals at once, or I eat dinner around 11 and go to bed around 12, and I also take a serving of Grow! before bed so I want to get the maximum use of it. Also if this rule is true, how long do I have to wait inbetween meals to refuel?

Take your body weight in lbs and divide it by 4. This is a crude limit on the protein in one serving. If you are fat then take your lean body mass weight.

You can have as much protein as you want but depending on how many carbs or fats you also ingested the liver will start to convert excess protein to glucose. Surge has a 2 to 1 ratio of carbs to protein.

Eat every 2 hrs as a general rule. Some huge strongmen have hourly feedings. Going 4 hrs or more between meals is not ideal as you will most likely go catabolic.

I guess this calls my 400+ grams of protein a day out…

I wonder if that would mess up my insulin resistance again.

logic says there’s got to be a limit somewhere. I’d say it’s around 50 before it starts to get used for fat. However, it also would depend on what else you’re eating…if you’re on a low carb diet then you need more protein, right?
BTW, I’m not trying to answer the question, just add a little.
When I was on the Shugs V-D(iet) I was drinking 5 shakes a day of Grow, made with 3 scoops (I didn’t read the label right, d’oh!) so I got about 100 grams more than I had figured I’d need. I made some nice strength gains…and took in 60 grams of protein at a whack.

I always use (3) scoops of Low-Carb Grow! but only (2) scoops of Surge (as directed). Three scoops makes a better tasting shake(IMHO) and I like the extra protein.

There is not set answer to this question, as there are just too many factors that need to considered. Here are a few:

(1)What is the source of protein? The body would be less likely to handle 50g of whey hydrolysate in one feeding as it would with 80g of micellar casein combined with some fats and fiber. The rate of gastric emptying has much to do with the percentage of nutrients that can be assimilated.

(2)What does the amino acid pool look like at the time of feeding? A sparsely populated amino acid pool will provide a more conducive environment for the uptake of more dietary amino acids. A good example of this is post-workout. Post-workout protein will typically be utilized more rapidly than would, say, a person’s final meal on a non-training day.

(3)What is the person’s genetic propensity for proteolytic enzyme efficiency? Without saying, genetics will always play a role. Likewise, a person will also have a genetic predisposition for free nitrogen retention. Some people just higher capacities than others.

(4)How big is the person? Weight correlates to blood volume, which correlates blood-amino saturation. The more blood, the more amino acids are needed to maintain a positive nitrogen balance.

There are other things to consider, but these are probably the most important. There is no magic number, like was once assumed. I remember when 37g (Met-Rx) was the set number. Then it was 50g, then 40g,… You can pretty much determine the current “protein per feeding” trend by looking at the amount of protein in the ready-to-drink protein shakes. It is all, essentially, bullshit, however. Just keep eating your protein, and I doubt you’ll be pissing too much of it away. I’d rather waste a little money on overeating protein than be getting too little.

That’s just my two grams…

~Terumo