Amsterdam - Spill It

Leaving for Europe next week and will be spending a couple of days in Amsterdam. I want to hear from those that have been there before. What should I be doing and what should I stay away from? Best clubs? things to see? spots to get elevated?

Spill it:

Wow. Its been a while since I’ve been in Amsterdam so I’m not going to be very helpful in recommending what you should do, aside from as you say, getting elevated.

However, here’s what I recommend you don’t do:

1. Forget to take the name and address of your hotel/hostel with you when you go out
  2. Forget that Amsterdam is full of bicyclers and trams
  3. Eat an entire space cake
  4. Think that “I don’t speak dutch” will get you off the hook
  5. Take the god foresaken boat ride whilst under the influence

I found the Dutch to be good people (but bad dressers) - you’ll have a great time!

[quote]Mascherano wrote:
Wow. Its been a while since I’ve been in Amsterdam so I’m not going to be very helpful in recommending what you should do, aside from as you say, getting elevated.

However, here’s what I recommend you don’t do:

1. Forget to take the name and address of your hotel/hostel with you when you go out
  2. Forget that Amsterdam is full of bicyclers and trams
  3. Eat an entire space cake
  4. Think that “I don’t speak dutch” will get you off the hook
  5. Take the god foresaken boat ride whilst under the influence

I found the Dutch to be good people (but bad dressers) - you’ll have a great time!

[/quote]

Haha some good things to avoid in that, although a space cake sounds pretty good. How are the prices there? Especially for recreational things?

Anything cool to go watch/see/stare at while your going recreational things?

1st thing, EVERYONE speaks English, so don’t worry.

Club 11, nice place, strange atmosphere. Hot women!

Eat at Supperclub, or Nomads one evening if you get the chance. Nomad has model waitresses. Both seat at 8 only. So book in advance and make sure you get their on time. Both owned by the same people.

Supperclub phone : 0203446400

They have these vending machine food places called “Febbo” or something like that. Good when stoned.

Dutch pastries etc, are great. Try some.

If you want to go to an American Coffeeshop/Smoking Shop, go to “Grey Area”, run by an American dude called John, looks a bit like hawkeeye from Mash but with Glasses. All famous yanks go there when in town, from Willie Nelson to Snoop Dogg (Pics on the walls). Top grade smoke selection, try “Martian Mean Green”, “Chocoloupe”, or “Sharks Breath”.

Go to Dampkring 2, part of Oceans 12 was filmed there, and has an awesome smoke selection, “Super Silver Haze” and “Nepalese Temple Ball (hash)”.

Check out the museums as well, on Rembrandtplein, and the Van Gough museum. Don’t bother with the electronic talking guide things, you’ll be there all day, and it’s not worth the money.

No trip is complete without a visit to the red ligh district. Go to the “Pink Elephant” and catch a show, then go off into the district and pick your prey! Closes pretty early though, so don’t leave it too late in the evening. Go around 10-11pm.

Other then that, have a good time man. You’ll love it. 2 days isn’t enough, so trust me, you’ll be there again before you know it.

LR

I’d recommend trying the shrooms if you’re into them. Amazing fresh shrooms there. If you want you can get some mild ones and have a fun trip just walking around. You won’t be the only one… They have them in quite a few of the stores along the street, and they’re separated into strength, type of trip, it’s awesome! Other than that, also try to find some Absynth, few places there will have the good stuff, as well as take you through the whole sugar/fire traditional way of drinking it. Crazy stuff!! Can’t quite remember any specific clubs, was always way too inebriated in some way while I was there…

[quote]usaffirefighter wrote:
I’d recommend trying the shrooms if you’re into them. Amazing fresh shrooms there. If you want you can get some mild ones and have a fun trip just walking around. You won’t be the only one… They have them in quite a few of the stores along the street, and they’re separated into strength, type of trip, it’s awesome! Other than that, also try to find some Absynth, few places there will have the good stuff, as well as take you through the whole sugar/fire traditional way of drinking it. Crazy stuff!! Can’t quite remember any specific clubs, was always way too inebriated in some way while I was there…[/quote]

Now that’s what I’m talking about. Are they pretty good about helping you select which ones you want? Also, what makes trips the best? is there a hangover? any general knowledge in that area would be much appreciated.

The Absinthe thing sounds sick also, has anybody had the green trip happen or is that just a myth?

If you’re feeling ballsy, you can try eating the herring. I liked the downtown area, lots of shops and shit to see. Make sure to have some crochettes, great stuff. I really liked the food there.

Go to the Silver Mirror restaurant http://www.desilverenspiegel.com/ . It’s a gorgeous, super-historic place with great food, lots of history, great atmosphere. Don’t be in a rush. It ain’t American dinner. Spend 2 or 3 hours and enjoy.

I second the pastries at the little pastry shops. AWESOME!

I hear the District has been shrunken in recent years by new zoning laws, but I’m sure you’ll still be shocked at some of the quality you’ll surely “pass by” in the windows there. Amsterdam’s high-end brothels are also known to be an experience, but I don’t know the names of them.

In general, whether it’s restaurants, brothels or whatever, avoid the most “well-known” (i.e. touristy) ones. Ask a local, or a hotel concierge, where a local would REALLY go. We also found a great seafood restaurant that way – I just found the matchbook from there (still have it after 5 or 6 years!). It’s called Le Pecheur http://www.diningcity.com/amsterdam/lepecheur/index_nl.jsp . (That website doesn’t do it justice. The atmosphere is really nice.) SUPER-fresh, well-prepared fish dishes. Been there on both of my trips to Amsties.

And the cab drivers – and everyone in general – is SUPER-helpful. And their English is better than yours. Seriously!

Ahhh, I miss it now!! :slight_smile:

I think it was 108 Marnixstraat, when you go to pay the bill, don’t let Wilson close the door. He will offer you a massage.

Don’t go with conservative friends.

awsome city from many perspectives

do watch what coffehouses you go to as people wait for space cadet foreigners to leave to they can pickpocket them. Keep your wallet tight always.

I would buy from there pre rolled stuff and take it to Vondel Park. sitting there with all the canals and smoking in the park was awsome. Great selection of stuff. Do smoke hash, its the best.

Dutch people are very very nice and very laid back. Street signs are rather long and confusing…so get a map.

Great beer and great bars to drink said awsome beer at.

Take a canal ride and smoke, or just take a canal ride.

See the architecture, great buildings and churches abound. Avoid stuff like the Anne Frank house and other touristy traps.

Eat frickadele (sp) and get the fries and mayo

Dutch food is similar to german and very good

Go see other areas of the Netherlands be it other cities, Maastricht is pretty cool, and the little towns. Villages there are quaint and beautiful, everyone has gardens or animals in their backyard and you can bike everywhere.

Go see the Amsterdam Ajaix play a game.

Don’t dress like a tourist, leave your bags at the hotel and dont walk around with a map. The streetscum will ask you to buy their inferieur drugs and pickpockets will see you as a target.

Eat lots of herring, kroketten and frikandel speciaal. Dont go to the coffeeshops in the citycenter, but go to shops where the locals go to.

Oh and ^^^^ is right, go visit other area’s of the Netherlands (Maastricht, Breda, for example). And Belgium (Bruges, Antwerp).

Despite being off your face on pot and shroom’s keep your wit’s about you. Be careful when you leave the Red Light district that you are actually going back into the city centre and not into the housing area’s surrounding it. We made that mistake and ended up getting held up at gunpoint. The guy was so stoned we didn’t actually give him anything (He was confused when we said we were broke and didn’t have any money. He then asked for tobacco, but we said we didn’t smoke) My bro’ kicked him in the nuts and we ran like fuck out of there.

The trouble with the coffee shops nowadays is that you cannot smoke tobacco in them. So if you’re smoking hash you’re fucked. However, the shops sell herbal tobacco, or some shit, so you can get away with it.

DONT EVER buy ANYTHING off the streets. It’s SHIT!!! You will be bombarded by guys on the street trying to sell you drugs. Don’t do it!! Go to a coffee shop. If you want harder stuff: coke, speed etc it’s best to ask around in the “trendier” coffee shops/bars.

Can’t remember the name of the street, but there’s one just off the Red Light District that is all bars. The good thing is they stagger the happy hours, so at 6:00pm til 7:00 you go to one bar, then head to the next bar with a happy hour at 7:00. The happy hours co-ordinate all the way to midnight and beyond. At least, they used to, it’s been a few years since I’ve been to Amsterdam.

If you do decide to visit one of the girls in the windows be careful where you leave your wallet. A friend of mine was told to put his clothes on a chair by a door. Half way through the deed he noticed a guys hand through the door going through his pockets. Luckily they didn’t get anything.

I only live like 20 miles away but I rarely visit Amsterdam so can’t help you much there. I second all the advice of keeping your wits about. There’s a lot of scum lurking around.

Coffeeshop Bulldog is pretty famous. Club Rain is a good club for a party (and also food).

I’d recommend trying the shrooms if you’re into them. Amazing fresh shrooms there. If you want you can get some mild ones and have a fun trip just walking around. You won’t be the only one… They have them in quite a few of the stores along the street, and they’re separated into strength, type of trip, it’s awesome! Other than that, also try to find some Absynth, few places there will have the good stuff, as well as take you through the whole sugar/fire traditional way of drinking it. Crazy stuff!! Can’t quite remember any specific clubs, was always way too inebriated in some way while I was there…[/quote]

…sorry, no shrooming in Amsterdam anymore. They’re banned…

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
Leaving for Europe next week and will be spending a couple of days in Amsterdam. I want to hear from those that have been there before. What should I be doing and what should I stay away from? Best clubs? things to see? spots to get elevated?

Spill it:[/quote]

…there are four large squares you shouldn’t miss: Nieuwmarkt, Damsquare, Rembrandtsquare and Leidseplein.

Buy a day pass for the tram, don’t rent a bike. If you get caught in the middle of the road and find that a cyclist is gunning for you, just stand still and let the cyclist avoid you.

The red part of the sidewalk is not part of the sidewalk, this is a bike lane and if you walk there… you’ll get killed. Seriously.

It is safe to venture out of the immediate center of Amsterdam. Just bring a map.

Don’t take a taxi! Cabdrivers are vultures and eat your heart out.

Visit a smart shop for legal drugs, and ask if there’s anything under the counter [wink wink].

Doormen expect a tip. So tip the doormen!

Amsterdam is expensive.

It’s been a cold and nasty winter, and you’re visiting right at the end of it. People will be even more rude, grumpy and miserable than they usually are. Don’t expect the same kind of social interaction you’re used to, and you’ll be fine.

Have fun!

‘‘The red part of the sidewalk is not part of the sidewalk, this is a bike lane and if you walk there… you’ll get killed. Seriously.’’- hahah, true!!! (same goes with the trams)

The only Dutch I know: tantoonstelling (exhibition) and kaas (cheese) because most of what I did there was art and food.

Art – the Rembrandt museum. (That’s just a miracle of preservation; and they have what feels like ALL the etchings!) The Rijksmuseum. All your basics. Bring your sketchbook.

Food – pannekoeken (crepes with toppings). You could eat nothing but pannekoeken if you really felt dangerous. Also, herring is fresh there and fabulous. Beer is good – branch out from what you know.

It’s a serious bike city, so watch for cyclists as well as cars.

There is a famous red light district. Do not wind up there by mistake.

[quote]AlisaV wrote:
The only Dutch I know: tantoonstelling (exhibition) and kaas (cheese) because most of what I did there was art and food.

Art – the Rembrandt museum. (That’s just a miracle of preservation; and they have what feels like ALL the etchings!) The Rijksmuseum. All your basics. Bring your sketchbook.

Food – pannekoeken (crepes with toppings). You could eat nothing but pannekoeken if you really felt dangerous. Also, herring is fresh there and fabulous. Beer is good – branch out from what you know.

It’s a serious bike city, so watch for cyclists as well as cars.

There is a famous red light district. Do not wind up there by mistake.[/quote]

…altough the Red Light District is not my favourite area of Amsterdam, as a tourist you must go there, if only for the culture shock you’re sure to get…

[quote]Snaty wrote:
‘‘The red part of the sidewalk is not part of the sidewalk, this is a bike lane and if you walk there… you’ll get killed. Seriously.’’- hahah, true!!! (same goes with the trams)[/quote]

…altough tourists were a source of frustration for me when i lived there, i used to love to scare them as they were walking around looking up at the buildings oblivious to their surroundings, slightly grazing them as i came up behind them on my trusty bicycle. Good times, good times…

[quote]ephrem wrote:

…sorry, no shrooming in Amsterdam anymore. They’re banned…[/quote]

??!!!?!?!??!!!?!!!?? Bummer :frowning: