Amount Of Volume Per Session

We all know that volume is one of the key elements in inducing hypertrophy.

in a traditional bodybuilding style routine a muscle gets exposed to a high amount of volume in one session. the volume plus the weight used plus recovery should result in muscle gains (providing adequate nutrition is present)

one the other end of the scale, high frequency programs expose the body to short quick sessions where the volume builds up over the course of the week to usually higher volumes than that of a traditional program

do you think that there is a minimal amount of volume that needs to be done in a given workout to stimulate muscle growth or does this fact become irrevalent when we look at volume achieved over the entire week?

examples:

leg day 10x3 squats
10x3 leg curl
3x15 calf raise

hft day 1 4x3 squats and calves and 2x14 squats & calves
day 2 4x4 deadlift and 2x12 goodmorning
day 4 4x3 split squat and 2x14 lunge
day 5 4x4 frnt squat and 2x12 romanian deadlift

so what is everyones view on volume? does it matter how much per session or more to do with the total amount per training week?

[quote]Ad B wrote:
We all know that volume is one of the key elements in inducing hypertrophy.

in a traditional bodybuilding style routine a muscle gets exposed to a high amount of volume in one session. the volume plus the weight used plus recovery should result in muscle gains (providing adequate nutrition is present)

one the other end of the scale, high frequency programs expose the body to short quick sessions where the volume builds up over the course of the week to usually higher volumes than that of a traditional program

do you think that there is a minimal amount of volume that needs to be done in a given workout to stimulate muscle growth or does this fact become irrevalent when we look at volume achieved over the entire week?

examples:

leg day 10x3 squats
10x3 leg curl
3x15 calf raise

hft day 1 4x3 squats and calves and 2x14 squats & calves
day 2 4x4 deadlift and 2x12 goodmorning
day 4 4x3 split squat and 2x14 lunge
day 5 4x4 frnt squat and 2x12 romanian deadlift

so what is everyones view on volume? does it matter how much per session or more to do with the total amount per training week?[/quote]

I know that some might disagree with me, but I’m currently only doing quite low volume (as low as 11 reps in some cases) per muscle group and I workout each muscle group 3 times every 8 days (day 1, day 5, and day 8) and I’ve been steadily gaining muscle (put on almost 10 lbs since I started my current program). So, I’m not currently sold on the need for obscene amounts of volume in order to build muscle.

Sure, volume training works for some people. But as the old saying goes “there’s more than one way to skin a cat”.

Honestly, if you ask me, building muscle is more about progressive overload and eating enough food to support growth. Volume is just one method of overload.

Good to hear about your progress Sentoguy and of course I agree with your post. I see volume as a way for people to get deeper into fatigue if they can’t do it with 1-2 sets. You give a beginner 1 set to failure on squats for 12-20 reps and he’s ready for another set in two minutes. That person needs 3-6 sets at that exercise to really destroy it.

You give an advanced lifter or someone who is a caged animal 1 set to failure at 12-20 reps and you better have 911 dialed on your cell phone just waiting to press send. No chance of repeating close to the same effort.

Good question bro´
Chad would state its bout 25 per group.
The point of effort is also good mentioned before.

i think you should regard volume not only per week but PER DAY.Your body don´t cares about weeks.Sure you could have a added overload effect of volume over time,but i think you should also look at the specific day what you have done.

[quote]Scott M wrote:
Good to hear about your progress Sentoguy and of course I agree with your post. I see volume as a way for people to get deeper into fatigue if they can’t do it with 1-2 sets. You give a beginner 1 set to failure on squats for 12-20 reps and he’s ready for another set in two minutes. That person needs 3-6 sets at that exercise to really destroy it.

You give an advanced lifter or someone who is a caged animal 1 set to failure at 12-20 reps and you better have 911 dialed on your cell phone just waiting to press send. No chance of repeating close to the same effort. [/quote]

Good point Scott.

And yes I agree, I’m not saying that volume is bad or worthless or ineffective (not saying that you are suggesting this, just clarifying my position). I’m just saying that I don’t believe it’s the only way to go, nor is it the most important variable in building muscle.

Yeah I forgot to type my last sentance on there haha. I view it as a tool and a means of overload, but not my favorite(or yours).

There are many important variables in causing a muscle to grow, volume is certainly important. I don’t think most people would say it is the most important variable. Generally frequency of training and intensity of training are the two most important variables and they have an inverse relationship.

I would certainly say intensity is more important than frequency but they are very related and hard to separate. If you are looking to build size than intensity, frequency, time under tension, rest periods between sets, and nutrition would be very high on the list.

[quote]Tim Henriques wrote:
There are many important variables in causing a muscle to grow, volume is certainly important. I don’t think most people would say it is the most important variable. Generally frequency of training and intensity of training are the two most important variables and they have an inverse relationship.

I would certainly say intensity is more important than frequency but they are very related and hard to separate. If you are looking to build size than intensity, frequency, time under tension, rest periods between sets, and nutrition would be very high on the list.[/quote]

All good points Tim.