T Nation

Amount of Protein Per Shake

I know there is probably no scientific or proven answer to this question, but I’ll ask out of curiosity anyway. I am looking to increase my protein intake. Generally, I have three Metabolic Drive shakes a day. One between breakfast and lunch, one around 3pm, and one before I go to bed. Each shake is 2 scoops so that’s 40g of Protein.

I have thought about adding a scoop of Grow! Whey to make each shake 60g of protein. Now, my question–Is 60g of protein too much protein at a time/per shake? If not too much, then how much do you think is too much at a time?

If you’re getting 120 grams of protein in shakes already then that’s enough assuming you also eat real food with protein sources. Most will tell you that more than a gram per pound of bodyweight will be burned for energy (or stored as fat). Unless you are really huge or a vegetarian I suspect you’re getting plenty of protein with your diet plus the shakes.

60g of whey at once would be a little much, but if the majority of protein is casein then it shouldn’t be a problem. In fact, the 80g casein protocol is quite successful for both muscle growth and attenuating muscle wasting during dieting.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=781428

[quote]David Barr wrote:
60g of whey at once would be a little much, but if the majority of protein is casein then it shouldn’t be a problem. In fact, the 80g casein protocol is quite successful for both muscle growth and attenuating muscle wasting during dieting.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=781428 [/quote]

Thanks for directing me to that article. Well, I am assuming that most of the protein is casein since 40g comes from Low-Carb Metabolic Drive while the other 20g comes from Biotest’s Grow! Whey. Does that sound like a terrible combination?

And, yes I am eating protein at breakfast, lunch and dinner. As well as drinking pre and post-workout shakes w/ protein on workout days.

[quote]David Barr wrote:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=781428[/quote]

His overall size should determine how much he can get away with. I have doubts as to many 120lbs guys being able to do much with 80gr of protein at one time in a shake.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
His overall size should determine how much he can get away with. I have doubts as to many 120lbs guys being able to do much with 80gr of protein at one time in a shake.[/quote]

I weigh 212lbs and am roughly (this is a guess b/c I haven’t had it measured in several years) around 18% bodyfat. I have a hard time putting on muscle, but can put on bodyfat like a champ!! Currently doing a modified version of Joe Defranco’s WS4SB program.

[quote]obatiger11 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
His overall size should determine how much he can get away with. I have doubts as to many 120lbs guys being able to do much with 80gr of protein at one time in a shake.

I weigh 212lbs and am roughly (this is a guess b/c I haven’t had it measured in several years) around 18% bodyfat. I have a hard time putting on muscle, but can put on bodyfat like a champ!! Currently doing a modified version of Joe Defranco’s WS4SB program.
[/quote]

My protein shakes range from 70-80gr of protein, however, I also weigh just under 260lbs currently. There are no studies showing how much someone can get away with at certain weights and much is speculation.

I can only tell you that with my background/education, it would seem to me to be a bit much for someone your size in one sitting aside from possibly directly after training. Either way, in the end you will have to find what works FOR YOU and no one can work that out for you.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
obatiger11 wrote:
Professor X wrote:

My protein shakes range from 70-80gr of protein, however, I also weigh just under 260lbs currently. There are no studies showing how much someone can get away with at certain weights and much is speculation.

I can only tell you that with my background/education, it would seem to me to be a bit much for someone your size in one sitting aside from possibly directly after training. Either way, in the end you will have to find what works FOR YOU and no one can work that out for you.[/quote]

Thanks!! Well, before bumping up the protein in the shakes I was taking in about 210g on non-training days and 240g on training days. I am going to continue w/ the 60g protein shakes for a while and see what happens. Thanks for the help!!!