T Nation

Amount of Protein in Chicken

Hey all

I’m having an argument with my cousin here about the protein value of about 250-300 grams of chicken.

What do you guys think?

According to some nutrition guide on the net, you get about 70-85g of protein for 300g of chicken.

Well, ~21g per 100g chicken breast, so 300g is about 60g protein.

Why argue about it?

The only difference you might find is between cooked and raw.

We were just arguying because I was saying 300g wasn’t more than 35-40 grams. He was saying 70 at least like the guide said. Like atypicaluser mentionned, it was actually just a misunderstanding between cooked and raw meat. 300g of cooked chicken is a shit load of chicken.

Thanks anyhow lol. I posted this because I wanted a quick way to find out.

Chicken breast:

Cooked:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/poultry-products/704/2

Raw:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/poultry-products/701/2

for chicken breast my rough rule for protein content is the raw uncooked mass divided by 4

Any idea how much meat is on a single drumstick? average?

I don’t have a scale at home.

[quote]LeanCleanGuy wrote:
Any idea how much meat is on a single drumstick? average?

I don’t have a scale at home.[/quote]

Are you that broke? Buy a fucking scale! Oh yeah I got it, probably a joke! :))

In case it’s not a joke, just tear the meat off.
A deck of cards is a visual equivalence of 3-4oz

[quote]Franck wrote:
LeanCleanGuy wrote:
Any idea how much meat is on a single drumstick? average?

I don’t have a scale at home.

Are you that broke? Buy a fucking scale! Oh yeah I got it, probably a joke! :))

[/quote]

Times are tough. Oh yeah I got it, more T-Nation attitude. A lot of members are complete dickheads.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
In case it’s not a joke, just tear the meat off.
A deck of cards is a visual equivalence of 3-4oz[/quote]

Thanks.

www.calorieking.com

great resource.

As general reference, a pound of meat correlates to ~ 100g protein.