T Nation

Amount of Fat Absorbed in One Sitting?

I haven’t had a cheat day in over a month. I’m wondering if I can splurge one day and go really hard. So, my question is: since there is a set amount of protien ones’ body can take in during one sitting, is there then a set amount of fat (bad fat) that ones body can take in? Just curious…thanks…

Although you would imagine that there is some sort of set amount of protein one can ingest in a sitting, there hasn’t been any evidence to prove this. With that said I don’t feel like you can ingest 1,000 grams in a sitting either. Same thing with fats. I think its going to boil down to the amount of calories in this cheat meal for you. Have your cheat meal (if you must, you don’t need it, hang in there) after a hard workout. A pound of body fat is aprox. 3,500 calories. If this meal is just that, a meal, you shouldn’t worry at all.

[quote]Jesse wrote:
… So, my question is: since there is a set amount of protien ones’ body can take in during one sitting, …[/quote]

No set amount that anyone can proove, there used to be a belief that you could only absorb / digest 30g per meal: if that were true it would be difficult to gain weight on a high protein diet!

If you eat so much fat you have a greasy, fat laden bowel movement, you’ve surpassed your maximal absorbable amount. I’ve et 100+ grams of fat in one sitting and been fine, but that’s just me.

There is no set amount. It varies from person to person, meal to meal, day to day.

Just indulge.

i have a few meals a day where i have several tablespoons of olive oil + several tablespoons ground almonds + parmesan cheese + chicken/fish which amounts to close to 100 grams fat for each of those meals

i combine it with lots of veggie intake and my regularity is still great, a lot better than if i ate starchy carbs instead

as for a high fat meal without sufficient fiber, probably not a great idea

I would say “master your ass” If you can and keep going strong without one. Reward yourself with a movie (bring your own snacks) better than slowing progess

i’ll keep up the good fight… thanks for all the responses. Quick follow up question. Trying a new diet:

3 days ~50 grams of carbs a day ONLY, mostly only from greens.

Might squeeze an apple in depending on if ive earned it.

Is this good to do? i’m really trying to cut my bf percentage without sacraficing muscle/strength.

Lastly, i’m having one medium to high carb day (150-200g) on the fourth day, what kind of carbs would be good to take in? I’ve never really “cut” before and this has been my first month. Thanks again for all the feedback. Really appreciate it!

did he just hijack his own thread?

eat as many apples as you want, it’s the starchy fruits like bananas that you have to limit (except for PWO)

just wondering … can you give me an example day of your diet. what kinda fats and protein do you eat. how many calories? how many meals … and so on and so forth …

[quote]DK 14 wrote:
just wondering … can you give me an example day of your diet. what kinda fats and protein do you eat. how many calories? how many meals … and so on and so forth …[/quote]

day 1:

Meal 1 - Can of Tuna. Followed up a tbsp of All Natural Peanut Butter. One cup black coffee

Meal 2 - Salad of Mixed Greens, Chicken Breast

Meal 3 - Protein Shake (pea protein) mixed with water with a tbsp peanut butter.

Meal 4 - Mixed nuts, apple

Meal 5 - Ground Turkey wrapped in Lettuce with tomatoes and avacado

Meal 6 (Post Workout) - Whey Protein mixed in water with peanut butter and creatine with a teaspoon of organic honey for sweetner.

So what’d you think?

oh yeah, what’re examples of starchy fruits? can i squeeze in grapes, pears and what not? thanks again you guys!

starchy fruits ? where most of the carbs are sugars and the water (moisture) content is very high (85%-90%) so stuff like all berries, citrus fruits and the grapes/pears you mentioned

is there a starchier one than banana ? that’s the one that sticks out to me and that’s why i use it for PWO

wow a full month and no cheat? congrats. i’m guessing you’ve lost a lot of weight? mostly fat? i did 3 weeks of a similiar diet in april. it was tough but very worth it.

i don’t think anyone can give you a precise answer as to how much fat you can absorb at one sitting. nothing wrong with a cheat meal after 30 days or so if you’re obtaining your goals. go for it

any particular reason for the ‘pea’ protein shake as opposed to milk and egg etc

just not something me see very often