Ammunition Tracking

I’m still a little cloudy on this subject. Obama would like to etch serial numbers into the casing of every bullet in America in an attempt to stop…? I understand the ultimate goal of what he is thinking but there are flaws in this serial number thing.

1. If someone wanted to shoot another person, why wouldn’t they just use a revolver so the casing wouldn’t eject?

2. Will ammo cost more? Is this the subtle way of taking away our right to bear arms?

3. Couldn’t you buy reload kits now so that you won’t have to deal with the serial number thing? That would also be cheaper than paying the higher tax.

I’m just not quite sure how this is going to help stop whatever it is that the administration is trying to stop.

It’s a bill that’s introduced in 18-20 states every year, and dies every single year. The biggest supporter is the patent holder(s) of the machine that would imprint the code on the ammo.

1. They could, or steal ammo from someone else.
    They could also use ammo that wasn’t etched.

2. Yes it will cost a lot more. It is a not so
    subtle way to raise ammo costs and limit
    it’s availability.

3. Yes but the law as it has been proposed
    around the country would make handloaded
    ammo illegal after a certain period of
    time. In effect law abiding shooters will
    be criminalized. Criminals will not make
    an extra effort to assure they are in
    compliance.

The administration is trying to restrict or greatly limit citizen’s rights to own and use firearms. This is a thinly veiled political feel good solution to a problem that only exists in the mind of anti-gun special interest groups.

It’s chance of becoming law are very small, but possible.

[quote]hedo wrote:

1. They could, or steal ammo from someone else.
    They could also use ammo that wasn’t etched.

2. Yes it will cost a lot more. It is a not so
    subtle way to raise ammo costs and limit
    it’s availability.

3. Yes but the law as it has been proposed
    around the country would make handloaded
    ammo illegal after a certain period of
    time. In effect law abiding shooters will
    be criminalized. Criminals will not make
    an extra effort to assure they are in
    compliance.

The administration is trying to restrict or greatly limit citizen’s rights to own and use firearms. This is a thinly veiled political feel good solution to a problem that only exists in the mind of anti-gun special interest groups.

It’s chance of becoming law are very small, but possible.[/quote]

All true and that revolver thing is something they never talk about.

Sometimes I wonder about these forums.

WTF is up with revolvers? Like you can’t police your brass with with a semi-automatic? And keep in mind, this is all secondary to the point that you leave a bullet in whatever you shot that is or can be just as traceable as tagged cartridges.

If you really want flummox the system, either intentionally or unintentionally, mix up some cartridges, report some or all of them stolen, share them with friends, encourage them to do likewise.

I think bills like these should have absolute statements at the end of them like “Once enacted, this bill will completely eliminate gun violence everywhere it is upheld.” just so people have to read it and at least mentally say “no way”.

It’s bad enough if a registered gun is stolen and used in a crime, but a bullet?

I know I’ve lost or dropped bullets. At gun ranges and on ranches. I’m sure the bullets on ranches have been buried in South Texas sand and corroded to an unusable state but the gun range is another story.

It wouldn’t take long for people to figure out they could go to the gun range for some target practice and snatch a bullet from the shooter next to them or scan the ground for a dropped round.

And then what? You most likely don’t even know you dropped or had one stolen to report as in the case with a gun.

The bullet is used in a crime and you are automatically the prime suspect?

Fucking stupid.

Anyone played MGS4? It is starting to see more and more like real life (minus the nanomachines - so far).

[quote]Thomas Gabriel wrote:
Anyone played MGS4? It is starting to see more and more like real life (minus the nanomachines - so far).[/quote]

I remember in one of the MGS games they kept talking about DARPA. I had no idea what DARPA was until then. Sad aint it?