T Nation

Ammonia Smell After Workouts

This might be a stupid question but has anyone every had an ammonia smell through your nose after workouts? I can almost taste it too! I’ve been taking amnios and I make sure I have a protein shake before workouts and after,I drink alot of water during workouts and through out the day? Any suggestions? My sweat does not have this smell. I’ve cut my carbs way down, could this be it?

Thanks for any info:)

is it your gym?

Could be the smell of sweat mixing with your clothes/laundry detergent? Possible…hahaha

[quote]ohiogrl wrote:
This might be a stupid question but has anyone every had an ammonia smell through your nose after workouts? I can almost taste it too! I’ve been taking amnios and I make sure I have a protein shake before workouts and after,I drink alot of water during workouts and through out the day? Any suggestions? My sweat does not have this smell. I’ve cut my carbs way down, could this be it?

Thanks for any info:)[/quote]

Are you low carb dieting, or does this happen when you haven’t eaten carbs in a while? This happens a lot to runners who “run out of fuel” so to speak.

After a long workout, or 2 hours jumping around at a concert, I sweat so much I smell sharply of ammonia - this had only happened a couple times though.

Point is, my sweat doesn’t smell of it at all normally, just after long sessions.

[quote]ohiogrl wrote:
I’ve cut my carbs way down, could this be it?
Thanks for any info:)[/quote]

Sorry, missed this part. Yes, cutting down your carbs could be contributing.

Sound like you’re pushing your body into ketosis

When take in more protein than the body can use it strips the ammonia from the protein to make you smell like ammonia. Just googled “ammonia body smell”. I remembered being told that when your body burns protein for energy your sweat smells like ammonia, now I’ve confirmed it. Thanks, now I’m smart again LOL!!

This may be related.
But I noticed a distinct amonia smell in my urine after working out, same thing after taking a nap. I’ve been thinking its related to dehydration in the evening (i work out and nap in the evening) which is the time i typically dont drink as much water, although I have been making a conscious effort to now.

I used to get that ammonia smell after I ran really long distances and would get really sweaty. I always attributed it to the sweat