Ammonia Release and High Protein Levels

I’ve noticed an extremely strong smell of ammonia on my sweaty clothes following my workouts. Googled ammonia release and it starts talking about the body and effects of protein metabolism and conversion to urea. I’ve been following a strict high protein diet for probably close to a year now. I take a minimum of 1g / bodyweight. I don’t take more than 1.5g per bodyweight. Have read repeatedly that you need 2g /bodyweight if you are involved in strenuous activity which I’am. I drink 1 to 1.5 gallons of water a day.

Was wondering if anyone else has experienced the smell of ammonia?

i did for a while. I dont know if its true, but some local guru’s told me its a sign on gluconeogenesis of protein. At the time protein represented more than 60% of my dietary intake. I was advised to either increase carbs or fat (one or the other but not both) to the point that one or the other made up 60% of my dietary calories. I decided to go with fat and it did work in eliminating the ammonia odor.

I had that problem for a long time, kinda shrugged it off becuase i never noticed the smell in my work uniform, just my clothes at home. I assumed my body odor did not mix well with our detergent, but now you have me thinking.

It’s possibly a sign that you’re in ketosis.

Not good. Drink more water to flush out the ketones. Bump carbs or fats up alittle.

[quote]yogaroots wrote:
Not good. Drink more water to flush out the ketones. Bump carbs or fats up alittle. [/quote]

He already drinks over a gallon a day and this is not abnormal. This is a common occurrence in those who take in high protein daily and lower carbs. Taking in more carbs would do more to eliminate it.

Many bodybuilders experience this when dieting due to the dietary changes.

Whoah, I thought I was the only one. I have a separate hamper just for my gym clothes. And a Germ-X/Febreeze spray mix I hit my gym bag with.

I keep my protein intake high (55-60% at around 3500-400kc). I never would have made a connection, though. I just figured I stank.

I get this when I take BCAAs. Are you supplementing with BCAAs?

There is a theory that your diet should match your teeth. How many teeth do you have for ripping flesh? How many for grinding plants? Eat in that proportion.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
I get this when I take BCAAs. Are you supplementing with BCAAs?

There is a theory that your diet should match your teeth. How many teeth do you have for ripping flesh? How many for grinding plants? Eat in that proportion.[/quote]

Fuck that, I’ll take down a gazelle with my gums if I have to.

Thanks to all of you for responding. It is really getting on my nerves. My buddy who works out with me told me straight out “you f’n smell dude”. I put on tons of deodorant and cologne prior to going to the gym and nothing helps. It’s rank.
Johnward82, you are definitely not the only one. I thought the samething in that is was the detergent my wife was using, but we’ve switched multiple times with no better result.

Headhunter, I’am supplementing with BCAA’s at the moment but had this smell prior to as well. Although come to think of it it may have gotten stronger since.
Prof X/Koffea / Yogaroots, THANKS for the suggestion of upping carbs/fat intake. Will definitely give it a try.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
yogaroots wrote:
Not good. Drink more water to flush out the ketones. Bump carbs or fats up alittle.

He already drinks over a gallon a day and this is not abnormal. This is a common occurrence in those who take in high protein daily and lower carbs. Taking in more carbs would do more to eliminate it.

Many bodybuilders experience this when dieting due to the dietary changes.[/quote]

Maybe so, but it is not normal.

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00305.html

Do you eat enough green vegatables?

do you use a greens supplement that might help
when I used to cut weight I often had a stronger scent.
eating more vegetables, and more fibre helped.
think beets not grains. and I use a greens supplement from time to time.

can I ask how clean the rest of your eating is?
Im not anti protein, and dont want to sound like a nutrition faddist
but most proteins can lead to an acidic build up, like amonia.
and greens can certainly help akalizing the body.

kmc

KMC,
I would definitely say I’m not taking in enough greens. My diet is very clean minus that. Typical day looks like this.
Breakfast
8 egg whites 2 yolks / 1 cup of oatmeal with 5oz. of fruit
Mid morning
Protein shake - 1 scoop of ON Whey and 1 scoop of Muscle Milk. 2 salt free rice cakes
Lunch
1/4 lb of chicken breast / 2 pcs of wholewheat bread / 1 small apple
Mid-Afternoon
1 banana and 3 tablespoons of salt free natty peanut butter
Post workout
1 scoop of ON Whey and 1 scoop of Muscle Milk with creatine / 1/2 cup of oatmeal
Dinner
9oz ground turkey and 1 - 1.5 cups of broccoli

So as you can see I’m definitely lacking in the greens department. Can you recommend a good greens supplement? I have a real hard time getting veggies down. It’s all I can do to eat the broccoli.

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:
Do you eat enough green vegatables?

do you use a greens supplement that might help
when I used to cut weight I often had a stronger scent.
eating more vegetables, and more fibre helped.
think beets not grains. and I use a greens supplement from time to time.

can I ask how clean the rest of your eating is?
Im not anti protein, and dont want to sound like a nutrition faddist
but most proteins can lead to an acidic build up, like amonia.
and greens can certainly help akalizing the body.

kmc[/quote]

I don’t have any experience with this, but it sounds a lot like rabbit starvation: your diet looks really, really low in fat (you could at least add in the egg yolks :).

good, I thought I was the only one, thanks for the advice guys

Kaylak, In reviewing what I wrote I did miss that I eat 3 pcs. of turkey bacon with breakfast. The Muscle Milk is high in fat along with the PB. I also take several ounces of almonds a day and cottage cheese that I didn’t list as well. I need to redo my macros in FITDAY to see where I’m at. You may be right on the fat intake.

[quote]Kaylak wrote:
I don’t have any experience with this, but it sounds a lot like rabbit starvation: your diet looks really, really low in fat (you could at least add in the egg yolks :).
[/quote]

If I do cardio for more then 45 mins I get a hot/cold flush then I start sweating like crazy and it has that nasty Ammonia smell. I think it is just your body saying stop before you fall the fug out.

I hate to say this, but I’m glad it’s happening to others as well. I thought I was the only one. I know people have moved away from me on the treadmills due to the smell. Like I said earlier nothing stops it. I put on a ton of cologne right before I go and I’m rank about 30 mins. into my workout. I’m going to try upping my fat intake to see if that cuts down on it some.

[quote]Nanan wrote:
If I do cardio for more then 45 mins I get a hot/cold flush then I start sweating like crazy and it has that nasty Ammonia smell. I think it is just your body saying stop before you fall the fug out.[/quote]

[quote]nc maniac wrote:
I hate to say this, but I’m glad it’s happening to others as well. I thought I was the only one. I know people have moved away from me on the treadmills due to the smell. Like I said earlier nothing stops it. I put on a ton of cologne right before I go and I’m rank about 30 mins. into my workout. I’m going to try upping my fat intake to see if that cuts down on it some.
[/quote]

This only started after I made some drastic changes to my diet, I went from 3000 cal a day to 1600ish, my fat and carb intake is very low now where it use to be 40% of my diet. I am trying to cut and drop body fat, it has been working rather well for me thus far, I have dropped several inches off of my waist and upper thy around the hamstring area.

I didn’t go quite that low with my calories, but have basically been in the same situation as you… Trying to cut for the summer. I’m very interested to see if upping my fat intake helps relieve the smell. I was due for a diet change anyway so no better time than now.

[quote]Nanan wrote:
This only started after I made some drastic changes to my diet, I went from 3000 cal a day to 1600ish, my fat and carb intake is very low now where it use to be 40% of my diet. I am trying to cut and drop body fat, it has been working rather well for me thus far, I have dropped several inches off of my waist and upper thy around the hamstring area.

[/quote]