Ammo Pricing and Other Gun Stuff

[quote]mitchellh wrote:

IMO, the more expensive and “premium” a gun is, the worse ammo it had better be able to handle. Like Rev1911 said, you won’t always have the best ammo available and whatever you have needs to go boom. I wouldn’t be happy I couldn’t trust my $2000 Wilson Combat CQB 1911.

Rev1911, what problems are you having with your AR?

+1. I’ve got ~3-4k rounds threw my “cheap” taurus p-111. All of it either wolf or winchester target ammo. It’s jam’d once, because of the clip not the ammo.

everytime I hear guys bitching about how their 1500$ 1911s jam constantly with cheap ammo I laugh.
[/quote]

I was looking at a Springer TRP and the Les Baer and I kept hearing stories about the Baers needing this and that in order to run smoothly and the TRPs banging sweetly straight out of the box.

Also, if I ever have to use my carry weapon, chances are it will be taken from me for something like a year’s time due to police processing, evidence, etc… I don’t currently make the kind of money that would allow me to go out and buy another $1700 pistol, slap on some night sights, and drop $500 on practice ammo JUST TO GET THE THING TO CYCLE CORRECTLY and be ready for carry.

I’ve got about 1.5k rounds through my Glock .45. Runs like a top. With night sights added I’d be out about $680-$700 if I ever had to use it and it became ‘police evidence’. I can handle that. Plus, it’s a tool. It’s meant to put up with wear and tear and still run strong. Gravel, dirt, rain, muck… whatever, it should still work when I need it.

[quote]Rev1911 wrote:

What about shotties, though? You guys think I could find a interior roof-mounted rack for a mossberg? It would to bolt inside the cabin of a 2000 5series BMW sedan with 130,000 miles. All the rack kits I can find are for Crown Vics and Caprices. German car lovers need shotgun racks, too!

[/quote]

WTF can’t you be a man and just have it resting across your lap? Why would you want this in a BMW? Wouldn’t you want a car that can do stuff besides run on the autobahn during the zombie apocalypse?

Speaking of zombie apocalypse has anyone seen the Zombie Land movie trailer? Looks like it could be a brainless movie gem.

Anyone here a member of the CMP? My dad is and was able to get a Garand for a decent price and a big can of 30-06 for cheap. Hopefully, they’ll start selling M-14s through the CMP because they are so expensive…but well worth it. The one my dad bought I had the irons sighted in at 100 yards within the first 4 shots.

My gf is trying to convince me that I need her for the Apocalypse because she can crochet. Clothing, blankets, and gun cozies galore will be my reward. I keep trying to get her to sell gun cozies at the gun shows…that silly crap always gets sold out.

Anywho, back to the ammo shortage. The way to go is just to buy what you can when you can and load up on reloading supplies if you can get it. We can usually find rifle primers and powder no problem but sometimes brass is hard to find and almost all the components except powder are hard to find for hand gun ammo.

I’ve heard of this ammo shortage. It’s pretty scary if you ask me.

[quote]elano wrote:
I’ve heard of this ammo shortage. It’s pretty scary if you ask me. [/quote]

I heard on the internet the evil conglomerate of ammunition corporations are purposely scaling back production in order to drive up profits at the expense of the working class. But come the revolution, we will show those capitalist pigs a thing or two!

ammoman.com is where I’m gonna buy some 40S&W this AM.

5.45x39 AK might be the way to go if you don’t mind that caliber because the ammo is cheap. R-Guns had a great price on the ammo and I know a dude who bought 11,000 rounds!
http://www.rguns.net/ammo.shtml

I never understood those high-dollar 1911s. I see the reviews for the Baers, etc, that go for $2,500 and I’m thinking what the fuck can those do that my Glock 21 can’t with double the rounds, with half the weight, the same combat accuracy and are probably MORE reliable.

I’m looking to buy a handgun for home protection purposes (I don’t think my girlfriend can handle a shotgun). My buddy is looking to sell his Taurus 45 for $300. I don’t know much about guns, what do you guys think? He is the original owner and he bought it last year.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
I’m looking to buy a handgun for home protection purposes (I don’t think my girlfriend can handle a shotgun). My buddy is looking to sell his Taurus 45 for $300. I don’t know much about guns, what do you guys think? He is the original owner and he bought it last year. [/quote]

Which Taurus? They make more than one in .45ACP.

My advice would be do your research, decide what you need, and then buy that. Don’t just buy this Taurus because your buddy happens to be selling it right now.

Taurus can make decent guns, but you’re more likely to get a lemon and from what I hear their customer service isn’t all that great.

I agree with JP, with one addition- have a budget first because eyes can quickly become bigger than your wallet.

Gander Mountain has .380 auto Fiocchi and Remmington really cheap.

Also, LankyMofo, the Bersa Thunder .380 is excellent for girls. Compact, light, not a lot of kickback, but still does the job.

Really??? You’ve managed to find the elusive .380 auto??? I bought one of those LCP’s for those really warm summer days when it’s a touch too warm to carry my G33 completely concealed and haven’t been able to break it in proper because I only have 150 rounds total. I’m going to have to check it out. Anyone having any luck on finding .357 sig for under $40 for 50?

As far as otherwise buying ammo, I prefer Midwayusa.com but they seem to almost always be out nowadays…

And holsters - check out www.highnoonholsters.com I bought a tuckable IWB (split decision) for my G33 and with about 90% of everything I wear you would never know I had a “special surprise” hiding in my pants. Plus the tuckable option is great for when you need to look all spiffy. However the real selling point for me was they are made down in Florida.

Thanks, T-people, I’ll let you all know what I decide to buy.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
I’m looking to buy a handgun for home protection purposes (I don’t think my girlfriend can handle a shotgun). My buddy is looking to sell his Taurus 45 for $300. I don’t know much about guns, what do you guys think? He is the original owner and he bought it last year. [/quote]

I would stay away from Taurus. I used to subscribe to Gun Tests magazine and I remember one review where the gun just came apart. I think it was a revolver. And I think there was another review where an auto-pistol didn’t do so hot.

Just get a Glock and don’t worry. The other polymers like the Springfield XD and the S&W are selling well and although I’ve never shot them they feel great in my hand, better than my Glock.

I steal ammo from uncle sam

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
I steal ammo from uncle sam[/quote]

Our tax dollas at work.

just bought some sounds from

couldn’t find better prices anywhere