Amit Sapir 'No Machines Workout'

I just want your opinion about the workout routine (the no machines workout) if it fits for powerlifting … I started to use it this week , I used to train for bodybuilding purposes. Recently I got motivated to train for powerlifting. I weigh 73 kg male 29 .I use only nutrition supplements no steroids at all . My big 3 is squat bench deadlift 180/145/200 Raw no belt.

I know they are not impressive numbers… but on local aspects here in my country they are decent numbers. My ambition is to get good result in my first raw competition ever. What do you suggest me to do .? I have been training for 3 years only.
thanx

Amit IS a powerlifter. And last time I checked, there are no powerlifting competitions that involve machines. So… yes, this works. I’m a powerlifter, and I almost never use machines. They’re certainly not necessary.

Whether or not you use steroids is irrelevant, I’m not sure why you mentioned that.

I’m also not sure why you don’t use a belt. Belts are legal in every single raw division that I’m aware of. Maybe your country is different, but I compete as 100% raw and use a belt. Wrist wraps are also generally legal.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
Amit IS a powerlifter. And last time I checked, there are no powerlifting competitions that involve machines. So… yes, this works. I’m a powerlifter, and I almost never use machines. They’re certainly not necessary.

Whether or not you use steroids is irrelevant, I’m not sure why you mentioned that.

I’m also not sure why you don’t use a belt. Belts are legal in every single raw division that I’m aware of. Maybe your country is different, but I compete as 100% raw and use a belt. Wrist wraps are also generally legal.[/quote]

To be fair both of those affect numbers, so not mentioning being natural and lifting without a belt wouldn’t put his lifts in proper context. It’s like hitting a 300lb front squat and saying you “squat 300lbs”… You do, but that doesn’t tell the whole story and may lead to inappropriate advice being given based on assumptions with regard to training age / lifter classification.

I haven’t used the program, but I’d imagine it would be fine for powerlifting as a starting point - if you stop progressing, adjust and continue. I would also advise you to use a belt for your heavy sets, as it will allow you to use heavier weights and improve your strength faster, generally.

By the way, those are pretty good lifts (if in kgs) at your bodyweight. A very solid base of strength - another couple of years of training and you’ll be placing well in your weight class.

Amit Sapir has recently competed in powerlifting, but this program is more suited to bodybuilding. No powerlifter needs a light shoulder & tricep day or a back and bicep day. Also, you should probably have one day a week where the first lift is deadlift. If you are looking for something simple and straightforward on an upper/lower split then look at 5/3/1. I would not recommend this program to someone interested in powerlifting. Specificity is the key - use your energy on things that will help achieve your goals, not sculpt your arms and back.

[quote]halcj wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

I’m also not sure why you don’t use a belt. Belts are legal in every single raw division that I’m aware of. Maybe your country is different, but I compete as 100% raw and use a belt. Wrist wraps are also generally legal.[/quote]

To be fair both of those affect numbers, so not mentioning being natural and lifting without a belt wouldn’t put his lifts in proper context. It’s like hitting a 300lb front squat and saying you “squat 300lbs”… You do, but that doesn’t tell the whole story and may lead to inappropriate advice being given based on assumptions with regard to training age / lifter classification.

I haven’t used the program, but I’d imagine it would be fine for powerlifting as a starting point - if you stop progressing, adjust and continue. I would also advise you to use a belt for your heavy sets, as it will allow you to use heavier weights and improve your strength faster, generally.
[/quote]

I guess I should add that I don’t feel his numbers are particularly useful in determining if this is a good program for powerlifting either, lol. I didn’t look at his numbers when I answered his question.

As for Chris’s response, I largely disagree, in that I think this program can make a person substantially better at the big 3 lifts. It involves them heavily, and the accessory work is that of a bodybuilder. This is largely how I train, when I do use accessory work at all. I train the competition lifts heavy, and I train all other movements as a bodybuilder would. This is pretty popular among powerlifters these days. At the end of the day, Hypertrophy is king, and massive delts, biceps, triceps, and back will all contribute to bigger lifts.

Thanx for your answer , and I didn’t mean anything negative about steroid use, I’m new to this field , so I just mentioned everything that may help to get good image of how I do in my workout.

I appreciate your advice .

thanx , I appreciate your response and encouragement

thanx guys for your useful information , and yes the numbers are in KG . and i started this routine couple of days ago , the numbers i got was mainly by normal bodybuilding routines . but I got interested in competing so i was searching for best routine to help me achieve my goal in getting my total to get higher .

Good bench, if you learn how to properly use a belt you’ll sure add some kg to SQ and DL (at a very similar bw and strength level, I get 20kg on both).

Samir program is good for multipurpose “strength training”, it’s not specific for powerlifting (no tapering phase leading to a meet); I’d use it off season.

X100

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
At the end of the day, Hypertrophy is king, and massive delts, biceps, triceps, and back will all contribute to bigger lifts.
[/quote]

This is so true. This is the reason for my cut lol.

[quote]DaneMuscle wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
At the end of the day, Hypertrophy is king, and massive delts, biceps, triceps, and back will all contribute to bigger lifts.
[/quote]

This is so true. This is the reason for my cut lol.[/quote]

Cut = hypertrophy?

wat

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:

[quote]DaneMuscle wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
[/quote]

This is so true. This is the reason for my cut lol.[/quote]

Cut = hypertrophy?

wat[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing but was just like fuck it.