T Nation

Amir Khan Claims 1.5% Bodyfat

Amir has just claimed tonight on national television that he was/is at 1.5% bodyfat.

How much do we believe this is true.

I’m quite the beginner but I think I’m quite sure he is not near 1.5% which surely is dangerously low?

Body fat percentages are misquoted a lot in the media, especially for athletes.

I’m not familiar w/ Amir, but wikipedia said he is an actor. It might be some kind of ploy to get people to see his movie or he just might not have any idea what he is talking about.

You are right though, 1.5% percent is dangerously low.

In his defense, anyone dumb enough to expect people to believe he has 1.5% body fat is dumb enough to drop down to 1.5% body fat.

amir kahn is a boxer.

the one on the left.

[quote]theuofh wrote:
Body fat percentages are misquoted a lot in the media, especially for athletes.

I’m not familiar w/ Amir, but wikipedia said he is an actor. It might be some kind of ploy to get people to see his movie or he just might not have any idea what he is talking about.

You are right though, 1.5% percent is dangerously low. [/quote]

Your thinking of someone else. A Bollywood actor.

He wasn’t misquoted, it came from his own mouth in a pre-fight interview.

I also saw him say he was at 1.5% for tonights fight, he also said he was at 16% I think when he went into his first professional fight.

LR

What technique did he use to measure his body fat? Something inaccurate like a scale or something more precise like a shoe?

Measuring tape. lol

Is it hypothetically possible to get to <1%?

Contest shape bodybuilders walk onstage @ 3-4% BF.

1.5%, IMO is a little optomistic.

Realistically, it doesn’t matter. There really is a point when your body just won’t catabolize fat anymore because it barely has enough to cushion your organs and keep you alive. At that point you step on stage. Who cares what the percentage is?

at 1.5% as a boxer, he might as well walk into the ring and lay down. He wouldn’t have the mental or physical energy to put up a good fight.

He smashed the fuck out of the guy last night. Fight lasted 5 rounds.

LR

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:
Is it hypothetically possible to get to <1%?[/quote]

Sucutaneous bodyfat maybe the most shredded bodybuilders go on stage at 1.5%. They are still not true 1%. Humans have essential stores. Without those we’d be dead.

I claim 1.7 percent.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
at 1.5% as a boxer, he might as well walk into the ring and lay down. He wouldn’t have the mental or physical energy to put up a good fight.[/quote]

I was thinking this when he said it last night. He didn’t look as shredded as a top level pro bodybuilders and even if he was that low he couldn’t have fought like that, he wouldn’t have had the energy.

He probably doesn’t know too much about bodyfat percentages and he doesn’t really need to. I expect one of his trainers had him tested with calipers or something and got it wrong or told him wrong…maybe part of the pre fight psychology to make him feel superior?

Whatever, he’s a very promising fighter and I’d like to see him get a world title.

Anyway here’s a pic straight after the fight.

I like to see him fight someone who is actually good.

Warren just protects and then the nation thinks they have a master until they face the Black American fighters and get owned.

pic didn’t come up, second attempt…

[quote]London Runner wrote:
He smashed the fuck out of the guy last night. Fight lasted 5 rounds.

LR[/quote]

Yeah good fight. I like Khan - charismatic guy and a pretty good fighter.

I used to live not far from him - his dad is a top bloke too.

1.5% though? No. As Digity suggested there was no shoe test there.

Jevon Kearse claimed 1% BF at 247 after his knee injury a while back.

[quote]poona wrote:
Warren just protects and then the nation thinks they have a master until they face the Black American fighters and get owned.[/quote]

Spot on! Hopkins really showed Calzaghe not to fuck with Black American fighters.

[quote]poona wrote:
I like to see him fight someone who is actually good.

Warren just protects and then the nation thinks they have a master until they face the Black American fighters and get owned.[/quote]

In the lighter weight divisions. I know that heavyweight is still dominated by the Eastern Europeans.

But otherwise, the lower weight classes are OWNED by the black American fighters.