Americans Who Speak Scandinavian?

I am looking for people in America who either spoke Scandinavian languages at home or took college classes. As far as I know, the first category is very rare unlike, say, Italian, which is still spoken by 1 million people at home according to Wikipedia. The second category of people should be a bit more common, I’ve bumped into a few online.

I know there are quite a few people in the Seattle area who still speak Norwegian at home.

I speak both Danish and Swedish, but I’m not American so I can’t really help you there.

I haven’t done either, but here is a relevent link i like to use. My Grandma on my dad’s side did speak norwegian, but she passed before i could learn or know her.

http://translation.babylon.com/Hungarian

don’t mind the hungarian that is just how it was saved, it can translate many different languages.

Lykke

Tack ändå :slight_smile:

Reason for all this: I run a magazine with a Scandinavian (mostly Swedish) slant and I might be interested in running something on this topic.

Minnesota has a lot of Swedish families (and speakers)

TC is Scandinavian. He is also a panty-sniffer.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
TC is Scandinavian. He is also a panty-sniffer.[/quote]

TC is Finnish, therefore he’s nordic and not Scandinavian. Scandinavia encompasses Sweden, Denmark and Norway.

He always tries to sneak into our very select group.

[quote]Billy Whizz wrote:
super saiyan wrote:

TC is Finnish, therefore he’s nordic and not Scandinavian. Scandinavia encompasses Sweden, Denmark and Norway.

He always tries to sneak into our very select group.[/quote]

Finland is to Scandinavia as “Y” is to vowels.

Billy Whizz wrote:
super saiyan wrote:

Finland is to Scandinavia as “Y” is to vowels. [/quote]

More like Uncle Tom is to Arthur Shelby (I sincerely hope, not only for the sake of my metaphor, but also for the US cultural level, that someone gets this)

super saiyan wrote:
Billy Whizz wrote:
super saiyan wrote:

More like Uncle Tom is to Arthur Shelby (I sincerely hope, not only for the sake of my metaphor, but also for the US cultural level, that someone gets this)
[/quote]

The fact is, Finland is commonly included when referring to Scandinavia. Quit being butt-hurt about it.

Scanâ??diâ??naâ??viâ??a
â??noun

1. Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and sometimes Finland, Iceland, and the Faeroe Islands.

Even the Scnadanavian Tourist Board includes Finland as part of the Scandinavian region.
http://www.goscandinavia.com/usa/en-us/menu/scandinavia/scandinavian-region/finland/finland.htm

http://goscandinavia.about.com/od/scandinaviatripplanning/p/scanbasicstats.htm
They are represented by the countries of:
* Denmark
* Norway
* Sweden
* and usually Finland and Iceland

Scandinavia (skÄ?n’dÄ­nÄ?`vÄ?É?), region of N Europe. It consists of the kingdoms of Sweden, Norway, and Denmark; Finland and Iceland are usually considered part of Scandinavia.

Again, we have a new definition of Scandinavia, which would include Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland and Finland.

The clearest example of the use of the term “Scandinavia” as a political and cultural construct is the unique position of Finland, based largely on it having been part of Sweden, thus to much of the world properly associating Finland with all of Scandinavia.

In English, casual and unofficial usage is to include the countries of Denmark, Norway, Sweden and often Finland and Iceland in the term Scandinavia, but the term is usually used to only mean Denmark, Norway and Sweden within those countries creating some ambiguity in even English reference sources.

In modern times, Finland, Iceland and the Faroe Islands (Faeroe) are also considered a part of this geographical area, especially in terms of cultural and historic relationships.

SS, you are a filthy liar and a prostitute. The Swedish, Danish and Norwegian languages are very close, while Finnish sounds like a mix of turkish and… uhhhmmm. crap. I don’t count it as being Scandinavian.

AHA,
vad heter tidningen?
is it available online?

Alla vi som hatar Finland klappa nu!
Klap

Billy Whizz wrote:
super saiyan wrote:
Billy Whizz wrote:
super saiyan wrote:

The fact is, Finland is commonly included when referring to Scandinavia. Quit being butt-hurt about it.

Scanâ??diâ??naâ??viâ??a
â??noun

1. Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and sometimes Finland, Iceland, and the Faeroe Islands.

Even the Scnadanavian Tourist Board includes Finland as part of the Scandinavian region.
http://www.goscandinavia.com/usa/en-us/menu/scandinavia/scandinavian-region/finland/finland.htm

* Denmark
* Norway
* Sweden

Scandinavia (skÃ??n’dÃ?­nÃ??`vÃ??Ã??), region of N Europe. It consists of the kingdoms of Sweden, Norway, and Denmark; Finland and Iceland are usually considered part of Scandinavia.

Again, we have a new definition of Scandinavia, which would include Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland and Finland.

The clearest example of the use of the term “Scandinavia” as a political and cultural construct is the unique position of Finland, based largely on it having been part of Sweden, thus to much of the world properly associating Finland with all of Scandinavia.

In English, casual and unofficial usage is to include the countries of Denmark, Norway, Sweden and often Finland and Iceland in the term Scandinavia, but the term is usually used to only mean Denmark, Norway and Sweden within those countries creating some ambiguity in even English reference sources.

In modern times, Finland, Iceland and the Faroe Islands (Faeroe) are also considered a part of this geographical area, especially in terms of cultural and historic relationships. [/quote]

It’s true that there, by companies and the governments of the Nordic countries, an effort to expand the term “Scandinavia” to include Finland.

But as the excerpt from wikipedia says, within Denmark, Sweden and Norway, we only include those countries.

super saiyan wrote:
Billy Whizz wrote:
super saiyan wrote:
Billy Whizz wrote:
super saiyan wrote:

Scan�¢??di�¢??na�¢??vi�¢??a
�¢??noun

* Denmark
* Norway
* Sweden

Scandinavia (skÃ???n’dÃ??Ã?­nÃ???`vÃ???Ã???), region of N Europe. It consists of the kingdoms of Sweden, Norway, and Denmark; Finland and Iceland are usually considered part of Scandinavia.

In modern times, Finland, Iceland and the Faroe Islands (Faeroe) are also considered a part of this geographical area, especially in terms of cultural and historic relationships.

It’s true that there, by companies and the governments of the Nordic countries, an effort to expand the term “Scandinavia” to include Finland.

But as the excerpt from wikipedia says, within Denmark, Sweden and Norway, we only include those countries. [/quote]

Well that’s great, but this is T-Nation, therefore Finland is included.

[quote]archiewhittaker wrote:
SS, you are a filthy liar and a prostitute. The Swedish, Danish and Norwegian languages are very close, while Finnish sounds like a mix of turkish and… uhhhmmm. crap. I don’t count it as being Scandinavian.

[/quote]

That’s a lie. I’m not filthy.

Billy Whizz wrote:
super saiyan wrote:
Billy Whizz wrote:
super saiyan wrote:
Billy Whizz wrote:
super saiyan wrote:

Scan�?�¢??di�?�¢??na�?�¢??vi�?�¢??a
�?�¢??noun

* Denmark
* Norway
* Sweden

Scandinavia (skÃ???n’dÃ???Ã??Ã?­nÃ???`vÃ???Ã???), region of N Europe. It consists of the kingdoms of Sweden, Norway, and Denmark; Finland and Iceland are usually considered part of Scandinavia.

But as the excerpt from wikipedia says, within Denmark, Sweden and Norway, we only include those countries.

Well that’s great, but this is T-Nation, therefore Finland is included. [/quote]

I’m writing on T-Nation from Denmark therefore Finland is not included.

Just acknowledge the fact that the fins are inbred, disgusting, abomonations and the links you posted are conspiracy theories and lies! LIES I TELL YOU!

puts on tin foil hat

archiewhittaker wrote:

That’s a lie. I’m not filthy.[/quote]

In the light of you not refusing the claim of you being a liar, can I believe your latest statement?

Oh yeah, Denmark rulezz! Fuck Finland and Norway.

Sweden as well.

[quote]asusvenus wrote:
Oh yeah, Denmark rulezz! Fuck Finland and Norway.

Sweden as well.[/quote]

LOL Denmark