American Trucks

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
Oh, also, in the USA, the only 4x4 vehicles you can get are pretty much trucks, the Jeep Wrangler (even less practical), a GWagon ($$$), or old military vehicle (awesome). The other 4wd systems are all electronic controlled. No rear locking diff.

Also , was going to go with a F250 for putting a camper on, but the 350 doesn’t up any on the fuel economy and can haul more, if necessary.[/quote]

I think this is the main thing I don’t understand. Obviously it doesn’t apply to those who tow large items or have to fit huge amounts in the back, but if someone wants a safe, roomy vehicle with some off-road ability why don’t they get an SUV?

I get what you’re saying about the majority of modern SUVs being extremely road-biased, but from what I can see it seems like the majority of modern pick-ups are hugely road-biased too. In terms of gross weight, approach/departure/rampover angles and total ground clearance the full-size pick-ups available seem pretty poor for pure off-road use. The stuff like locking differentials and traction-assist technology and even low-range is undoubtedly useful, but secondary to such basics. That’s completely understandable in a vehicle that is designed for moving such vast loads, but I just don’t really buy the off-road angle.

[quote]furo wrote:

Oh, also, in the USA, the only 4x4 vehicles you can get are pretty much trucks, the Jeep Wrangler (even less practical), a GWagon ($$$), or old military vehicle (awesome). The other 4wd systems are all electronic controlled. No rear locking diff.

Also , was going to go with a F250 for putting a camper on, but the 350 doesn’t up any on the fuel economy and can haul more, if necessary.[/quote]

I think this is the main thing I don’t understand. Obviously it doesn’t apply to those who tow large items or have to fit huge amounts in the back, but if someone wants a safe, roomy vehicle with some off-road ability why don’t they get an SUV?

I get what you’re saying about the majority of modern SUVs being extremely road-biased, but from what I can see it seems like the majority of modern pick-ups are hugely road-biased too. In terms of gross weight, approach/departure/rampover angles and total ground clearance the full-size pick-ups available seem pretty poor for pure off-road use. The stuff like locking differentials and traction-assist technology and even low-range is undoubtedly useful, but secondary to such basics. That’s completely understandable in a vehicle that is designed for moving such vast loads, but I just don’t really buy the off-road angle. [/quote]

I, like most people, aren’t looking at approach/departure angles. I’m looking to not get stuck in the snow/ice. I’m looking to be able to park in a wet yard and sink a few inches without having to call a tow truck. Watching tests of 4wd systems, I’m not confident in them.

What’s the benefit of the SUV over the pickup? Especially as a second vehicle.

[quote]furo wrote:
That’s completely understandable in a vehicle that is designed for moving such vast loads, but I just don’t really buy the off-road angle. [/quote]

I’d concur that my truck isn’t superior to, for example, a Jeep off road when unloaded. The weight alone from the big diesel up front makes it prone to sinking in soft stuff. But, as you noted: towing.

[quote]furo wrote:

I get what you’re saying about the majority of modern SUVs being extremely road-biased, but from what I can see it seems like the majority of modern pick-ups are hugely road-biased too. In terms of gross weight, approach/departure/rampover angles and total ground clearance the full-size pick-ups available seem pretty poor for pure off-road use. The stuff like locking differentials and traction-assist technology and even low-range is undoubtedly useful, but secondary to such basics. That’s completely understandable in a vehicle that is designed for moving such vast loads, but I just don’t really buy the off-road angle. [/quote]

I, like most people, aren’t looking at approach/departure angles. I’m looking to not get stuck in the snow/ice. I’m looking to be able to park in a wet yard and sink a few inches without having to call a tow truck. Watching tests of 4wd systems, I’m not confident in them.

[/quote]

Sorry I meant the question more generally - it definitely wasn’t directed at you specifically. If I lived in North America I would absolutely own a truck myself (although probably not full-size) and if I won the lottery I’d import an American one over here.

My current vehicle is a 4x4 (albeit a small one) with genuine off-road ability, so I’m not advocating cars over trucks. I’m more just interested in why they have such a broad appeal in the U.S. A locking differential seems like massive overkill for the average guy on the street who doesn’t need genuine off-road capability. One market in the UK that’s huge is the AWD “crossover” car market, which doesn’t appeal to me at all but seems to make more sense to the average man or woman who just doesn’t want to get stuck on an icy road or dirt track. I don’t know if it’s big in the US, but some examples are things like the relatively luxury Audi Allroad down to compact cars like the Renault Captur. Bentley even have one coming out.

Again, I’m not in any way against trucks - quite the opposite - I’m just trying to understand the market :).

[quote]furo wrote:

[quote]furo wrote:

[/quote]

Sorry I meant the question more generally - it definitely wasn’t directed at you specifically. If I lived in North America I would absolutely own a truck myself (although probably not full-size) and if I won the lottery I’d import an American one over here.

My current vehicle is a 4x4 (albeit a small one) with genuine off-road ability, so I’m not advocating cars over trucks. I’m more just interested in why they have such a broad appeal in the U.S. A locking differential seems like massive overkill for the average guy on the street who doesn’t need genuine off-road capability. One market in the UK that’s huge is the AWD “crossover” car market, which doesn’t appeal to me at all but seems to make more sense to the average man or woman who just doesn’t want to get stuck on an icy road or dirt track. I don’t know if it’s big in the US, but some examples are things like the relatively luxury Audi Allroad down to compact cars like the Renault Captur. Bentley even have one coming out.

Again, I’m not in any way against trucks - quite the opposite - I’m just trying to understand the market :).[/quote]

SUVs, CUVs, Subarus, and all manner of AWD vehicles are very popular in the USA. But if you reverse the question, ‘why not a truck?’ then you can see why people are drawn to them. The main drawbacks are fuel economy and size. Size doesn’t matter (lol) if you’re not in a major city (most of the US). Most people living in NY don’t drive a truck unless their livelyhood depends on it. But in the South, where parking spaces are the size of a small flat? Or out West, where you drive 100 miles just so you only have 100 miles to go to get to a neighbor? Fuel economy is worse but not that much worse than AWD vehicles. Plus, gas is still cheap here.

Also, if you win the lottery, skip the sissy light duty trucks: https://www.google.com/search?espv=2&biw=1366&bih=677&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=+medium+duty+pickup+trucks

[quote]furo wrote:

[quote]furo wrote:

[/quote]

Again, I’m not in any way against trucks - quite the opposite - I’m just trying to understand the market :).[/quote]

SUVs, CUVs, Subarus, and all manner of AWD vehicles are very popular in the USA. But if you reverse the question, ‘why not a truck?’ then you can see why people are drawn to them. The main drawbacks are fuel economy and size. Size doesn’t matter (lol) if you’re not in a major city (most of the US). Most people living in NY don’t drive a truck unless their livelyhood depends on it. But in the South, where parking spaces are the size of a small flat? Or out West, where you drive 100 miles just so you only have 100 miles to go to get to a neighbor? Fuel economy is worse but not that much worse than AWD vehicles. Plus, gas is still cheap here.

Also, if you win the lottery, skip the sissy light duty trucks: https://www.google.com/search?espv=2&biw=1366&bih=677&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=+medium+duty+pickup+trucks[/quote]

I hate taking my truck to, for example, Seattle and trying to navigate the tight roads, pedestrians, Priuses, and parking. That scenario is horrible.

More pictures are needed in a thread like this.

This American bought a full-size pickup truck because it makes life in Maine quite a bit easier. Some might consider a 2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab to fall outside the “American Truck” title, but last I checked the Tundra is made in Texas and only the Ford F-150 has more of its parts sourced from US or Canada.

To answer OP’s inquiry, here are the main reasons why I bought a huge-ass pickup truck:

1. Wintah. This thing is a tank in the snow, and I have to drive in heavy snow quite a bit. Lots of ground clearance means you don’t worry about busting up your bumper on ice chunks like I did with my Subaru. I had it out in the thick of our worst storm last winter and it is leagues ahead of something like my AWD Subaru when it comes to tough winter conditions. Having a full-size 4x4 pickup truck with tow straps and emergency winter supplies also puts me in a position to help people out on the roads. Oh, and our winter can last five months or more.

2. Ride height. This is an obvious advantage in heavy snow. This is also a year-round advantage in a place like Maine. Our roads get a lot of frost heaves and potholes that can leave a low-riding car pretty beat-up. I also find myself on lots of dirt and gravel roads with lots of rocks and holes that make a good ride height a really nice thing to have. We also have a large moose population, and riding up high generally gives you better odds if you have a violent collision with North America’s most dangerous mammal on the remote roads in this state.

3. Haulin’. You can haul all kinds of things in a 6.5’ bed. I bought a soft Tonneau cover that keeps snow and water out of the bed but rolls right back to expose the whole bed if I need it. This makes the bed function like a very, very large trunk that cleans easily so you don’t really mind throwing things like a deer carcass back there.

4. Towin’. I don’t do much towing right now, but owning a boat will be in my future. This truck will easily tow any boat I would be in the market for, plus any other toys I might happen to acquire like snowmobiles, ATV’s, campers, etc.

5. Relative expense and economy. I paid right around $31,500 for that truck last year brand-new. I think I get a helluva lot of capability for that price in a vehicle that is comfortable and easy to drive (unless I find myself in Boston). The gas mileage sucks, but I have an under two mile commute to work. The highway mileage isn’t all that bad. I have measured 19 mpg on long stretches of interstate highway. City mileage sucks, but so do all full-size trucks and again, I have a very short commute.

6. Everyday use. My truck has a legit backseat that is perfectly comfortable for a large 6’ man. I also have a flip-up center console that let’s my truck seat 6 in a pinch, albeit somewhat uncomfortably up front. The rear seats flip right up, giving you a huge cargo bay in the backseat if you don’t have passengers. For where I live, the relatively poor fuel economy is the only real drawback to driving the truck, and it isn’t even that bad compared to a mid-size SUV and again, I don’t put a lot of mileage on it.

7. Resale value. These trucks hold their value quite well, which also speaks to their durability. Tundras in particular seem to hold up to winter wear-and-tear quite well.

8. Trucks are fun. I like having a 381 HP machine that will do just about anything I need a vehicle to do.

That’s my $0.02 on truck ownership.

Hauling Rocks

Hauling My Deere

[quote]furo wrote:if I won the lottery I’d import an American one over here.

[/quote]

What’s funny is if i won the lottery, i’d be importing a Land Rover Defender over here… I know we get them, but only in 2 door and they are ludicrously expensive compared to what they go for in Europe.

Great points Johnnytang, when you put it that way it makes a lot of sense. And those medium duty trucks are absolute beasts! I’ve seen an F650 over here once and the thing was monstrous.

twojarslave - more pictures is a great shout. Your Tundra looks really nice :slight_smile:

Aggv, the defender will always be my first love (I’ve never owned one but my dad has always driven one) and it would be the first thing I’d buy if I won the lottery lol. However, a big American pick-up would come soon after. I feel like a pretty perfect dream 3-car garage would be Land Rover Defender 110, Ford F150 and Range Rover Evoque.

[quote]furo wrote:
twojarslave - more pictures is a great shout. Your Tundra looks really nice :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Thanks. In case you ever consider buying a Tundra, I can personally attest to its excellent performance when hauling kettlebells, which usually get tossed in with my camping gear if I’m spending a few days on a lake somewhere.

My Chevy “Silveraydo” 3500HD - (I butt fucked your mom in one)

6.6 DuraMax/Allison
Crew Cab/Long Bed
6" lift
Mickey Thompson 33’s on Moto Metal rims
Pioneer AVIC - Z11OBT
DVD player at the dome light
2 10’s under the back seat (she BOOOOOOMS)
Auxiliary 120v 1500w inverter
Hard wired radar detector
Back up camera mounted just above hitch
Blowjob tint

Why do I need it? Because it’s awesome! And because I live on the top of a mountain and you really need a 4X4 to get there safely. I tow my boats. I tow trailers with excavation equipment for side jobs. I haul wood and stone for various projects I have at home. It’s working truck with some nice finishing touches to it. The only down sides are not fitting in parking garages, cant do the drive thru hardly anywhere, and tight parking areas - other than that it’s fucking awesome. Chick’s dig it too, always asking for a ride or to hear my system. LOL

Not sure exactly if this exactly fits in with the thread, but I have a 1999 explorer 4x4 with the 4.0 overhead cam v6. Love the thing. It?s closing in on 250,000 miles and still runs great. I figure it being a 99, when the explorer was still a truck, qualifies it for the thread. I do have to grab my trailer to comfortably transport a sheet of plywood though.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Thankfully, there are some folks on here who buy and appreciate pickups with long beds. Short beds are for “sporty boys”. Long beds are for working men.[/quote]

I probably don’t fit your definition of “working men” (although I DO work with my hands), but the back seat and mid-gate of my Avalanche fold down to give me an honest 8’ bed. It is handy when I need it.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
My Chevy “Silveraydo” 3500HD - (I butt fucked your mom in one)

6.6 DuraMax/Allison
Crew Cab/Long Bed
6" lift
Mickey Thompson 33’s on Moto Metal rims
Pioneer AVIC - Z11OBT
DVD player at the dome light
2 10’s under the back seat (she BOOOOOOMS)
Auxiliary 120v 1500w inverter
Hard wired radar detector
Back up camera mounted just above hitch
Blowjob tint

Why do I need it? Because it’s awesome! And because I live on the top of a mountain and you really need a 4X4 to get there safely. I tow my boats. I tow trailers with excavation equipment for side jobs. I haul wood and stone for various projects I have at home. It’s working truck with some nice finishing touches to it. The only down sides are not fitting in parking garages, cant do the drive thru hardly anywhere, and tight parking areas - other than that it’s fucking awesome. Chick’s dig it too, always asking for a ride or to hear my system. LOL
[/quote]

That’s a really cool truck AngryChicken. How much has the 6 inch lift affected handling? I’ve been thinking of getting a lift for my 4x4, but it’s very narrow and has a short wheelbase and so I think I’d feel handling issues more than in a bigger vehicle. Do you take it offroad much?

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Thankfully, there are some folks on here who buy and appreciate pickups with long beds. Short beds are for “sporty boys”. Long beds are for working men.[/quote]

What do you drive Push?

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Not sure exactly if this exactly fits in with the thread, but I have a 1999 explorer 4x4 with the 4.0 overhead cam v6. Love the thing. It?s closing in on 250,000 miles and still runs great. I figure it being a 99, when the explorer was still a truck, qualifies it for the thread. I do have to grab my trailer to comfortably transport a sheet of plywood though.[/quote]

Yeah definitely fits my criteria! The idea was just for a general thread on utility vehicles/4x4s. That’s a really cool vehicle.