T Nation

American Sniper Bulk


#81

The REAL question is could Cooper beat up Affleck?


#82

[quote]OGrady wrote:
I think the perspective of anybody in this sport/hobby/lifestyle shouldn’t be to achieve an objective level of “fat” or “muscular” *. It seems like the point is setting personal goals, and working to achieve them.

In this case, his goal was not to look not-fat, or muscular, or to meet the standards of the people on the T-Nation forums. His goal was to look like Chris Kyle. This was A) for the audience, and B) so that he could understand the physical life of the character, and what it means to be that size. I got that second assumption from a second article.

As far as I’m concerned, he accomplished his goals. And those goals – not our own opinions/goals – are how we should judge his or anybody else’s success. End of story.

  • I could see the argument that competitive bodybuilders are pursuing an “objective” standard of aesthetic appearance. But, by my judgement, bodybuilders don’t compete by a standard that is objective to all people. They compete by the specific standards of bodybuilding competition, what I believe they call “aesthetics”.

[/quote]

You have completely missed the point of this entire thread. Nobody here cares if Bradley Cooper looks like a Bodybuilder or is “aesthetic.” At all.

The article stated that he Gained 37 pounds of muscle in 12 weeks and stayed the same body fat percentage using the training and supplement program outlined. That is what is being talked about.

What makes this particular article stand out so much as opposed to the 1000’s of articles that make claims like this across the net is that we have a relatively good idea of what he looked like before and after, and they gave actual numbers of muscle and weight gain.

Had they only said “Cooper used this program to prepare for the movie” there would be no thread, however they made rather specific claims which is what everyone is talking about. You can draw your own conclusions as to their merits.


#83
  1. As it was mentioned the goal was to look like Chris Kyle. I think the result is pretty darn good considering Cooper only had a few months to reach a level similar to what Kyle did in his lifetime :slight_smile:

  2. The “claim” was that he added 37lbs of “lean mass”. Not muscle. Understand that water and glycogen are part of “lean mass” … lean mass is also called “fat-free mass” which includes every tissue in the body except fat. But since his bones and organs aren’t likely to have grown, we can narrow it down to muscle, water and glycogen.

These are based on actual measures. Can the calipers be off? Sure! But an experienced tester will normally be fairly accurate. And if there can be variation between different testers, a good experienced one is normally fairly consistant. Even if there was as high as a 3% difference in body fat measure (which is a pretty huge difference if we are talking about the same tester) that would still mean a 30-32lbs increase in lean mass.

The report is accurate. He added a lot of muscle in the process. And you all know guys that being super lean can create more of an illusion of muscle than more size if you have some fat.

But the facts are that:

  1. Bradley added a lot of lean mass, mostly muscle
  2. He ended up being very believable as Chris Kyle

Which were the goal.

Heck his transformation was reported everywhere and pics were widely distributed, so it’s not like false claims can be made.


#84

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]elliottcorum wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
That was just a gaining phase gone wrong [/quote]
I’d be inclined to say it went right if he reached his goal of physically resembling Chris Kyle.[/quote]

He just got fat, the internet has spoken![/quote]

Lol he is fat in this please try and argue how someone with massive love handles and no Tricep or bicep visible is not fat. Worked for the part but the misguided article saying he is jacked is just bs. I am a huge Bradley fan too. Like his movies.not a fan of what this article tries to imply [/quote]

Setting aside that you’re exaggerating in your description of his love handles and arm definition, you must not spend much time around the general population. In terms of leanness and such, he looks slightly more fit than the average person you’d see around town/in an office/etc.

Again, not big and lean and jacked and all that. Just not a fat guy either. He’s somewhere in the middle.


#85

Yes he had a major transformation in 12 weeks. Is it something the average population wants to do? No. He gained a bunch of weight and some muscle. He looks like Chris Kyle.


#86

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]elliottcorum wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
That was just a gaining phase gone wrong [/quote]
I’d be inclined to say it went right if he reached his goal of physically resembling Chris Kyle.[/quote]

He just got fat, the internet has spoken![/quote]

Lol he is fat in this please try and argue how someone with massive love handles and no Tricep or bicep visible is not fat. Worked for the part but the misguided article saying he is jacked is just bs. I am a huge Bradley fan too. Like his movies.not a fan of what this article tries to imply [/quote]

Where have you seen these massive love handles? I’m being serious. I haven’t seen any shirtless pictures post “bulk” and I haven’t seen all this fat everyone keeps talking about.

Where in the article does it say he’s “jacked?”


#87

The trouble is - being an actor he is bound to have some “bad” pics out there, like the one on the first page where he’s not trying to look good. When you’re either a professional model or a complete nobody, the only pictures you have out there are professional pictures or selfies where you’re in immaculate lighting and flexing for all your worth with a picture taken from the correct angle.

Secondly, if you’re not 10-12% or lower you can easily have a “gut moment” while standing straight unless you focus on posture. Love handles are likely there under that T shirt he’s wearing except he’s standing up properly and lightly flexing in the second picture (posted by Colucci)

I have no idea how much weight he gained but given he’s around 6’2ish he probably gained more fat free mass (LBM) than people assume.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]elliottcorum wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
That was just a gaining phase gone wrong [/quote]
I’d be inclined to say it went right if he reached his goal of physically resembling Chris Kyle.[/quote]

He just got fat, the internet has spoken![/quote]

Lol he is fat in this please try and argue how someone with massive love handles and no Tricep or bicep visible is not fat. Worked for the part but the misguided article saying he is jacked is just bs. I am a huge Bradley fan too. Like his movies.not a fan of what this article tries to imply [/quote]

Where have you seen these massive love handles? I’m being serious. I haven’t seen any shirtless pictures post “bulk” and I haven’t seen all this fat everyone keeps talking about.

Where in the article does it say he’s “jacked?”[/quote]


#88

https://www.yahoo.com/health/what-8-000-calories-actually-looks-like-109891806183.html

S


#89

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/health/what-8-000-calories-actually-looks-like-109891806183.html

S[/quote]

Holy mackerel that’s a high fat diet they spell out in the article.


#90

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/health/what-8-000-calories-actually-looks-like-109891806183.html

S[/quote]

Stu,

I’m curious as to what your thoughts are on this diet? I know you have said many times before that you believe force feeding does not add more muscle. Obviously, he needed to be physically bigger to look like Kyle with all the gear on and had a limited time frame.

To me, half of the day seemed like some solid food choices. And then the burger, fries, dinner roll and dessert seemed to derail things.


#91

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/health/what-8-000-calories-actually-looks-like-109891806183.html

S[/quote]

Stu,

I’m curious as to what your thoughts are on this diet? I know you have said many times before that you believe force feeding does not add more muscle. Obviously, he needed to be physically bigger to look like Kyle with all the gear on and had a limited time frame.

To me, half of the day seemed like some solid food choices. And then the burger, fries, dinner roll and dessert seemed to derail things. [/quote]

That’s not his diet plan. That’s a ‘sample diet plan for getting 8k calories a day.’


#92

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]elliottcorum wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
That was just a gaining phase gone wrong [/quote]
I’d be inclined to say it went right if he reached his goal of physically resembling Chris Kyle.[/quote]

He just got fat, the internet has spoken![/quote]

Lol he is fat in this please try and argue how someone with massive love handles and no Tricep or bicep visible is not fat. Worked for the part but the misguided article saying he is jacked is just bs. I am a huge Bradley fan too. Like his movies.not a fan of what this article tries to imply [/quote]

Where have you seen these massive love handles? I’m being serious. I haven’t seen any shirtless pictures post “bulk” and I haven’t seen all this fat everyone keeps talking about.

Where in the article does it say he’s “jacked?”[/quote]

watch the movie to see what he looks like


#93

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:
Stu,

I’m curious as to what your thoughts are on this diet? I know you have said many times before that you believe force feeding does not add more muscle. Obviously, he needed to be physically bigger to look like Kyle with all the gear on and had a limited time frame.

To me, half of the day seemed like some solid food choices. And then the burger, fries, dinner roll and dessert seemed to derail things. [/quote]

Yeah, for the most part, as much as I hate the whole “clean food” description some people use, I can see some decent thought going into the selections made for the proposed plan. Even the brownie and ice cream could be worked into a smart plan if someone were so inclined. Cooper’s a great actor, but despite being in very respectable shape in past roles, he’s not a big dude, and were he looking to not just resemble Kyle, and more simply pack on some solid lbs, a whittled down version of this plan wouldn’t be a horrible idea.

S


#94

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.


#95

[quote]pushharder wrote:
After reading every post on the thread I’m going with this one as the definitive /thread one.

(and the elephant in the room)

BTW, some of you are the nitpickingest, yappingest, most arrogant bastards I’ve ever seen – going on and on about how Cooper looked like shit after his bulk, etc. Good grief.

It’s like The fucking View in here, ya bunch of old hens (except for the blonde babe on the right). I’d bet many of you who’ve been lifting for several years couldn’t outlift him after his three month stint.
[/quote]

Haha. I agree that CT’s post is a pretty good summary of the thread. If you see the movie, though, you’ll see that Cooper does look a bit fatter than you might expect, given his goal of appearing to be a tough, physically-fit Navy Seal like Chris Kyle. My guess is that if he had aimed for 25-30 lbs rather than 40 it would have been better.


#96

[quote]craze9 wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
After reading every post on the thread I’m going with this one as the definitive /thread one.

(and the elephant in the room)

BTW, some of you are the nitpickingest, yappingest, most arrogant bastards I’ve ever seen – going on and on about how Cooper looked like shit after his bulk, etc. Good grief.

It’s like The fucking View in here, ya bunch of old hens (except for the blonde babe on the right). I’d bet many of you who’ve been lifting for several years couldn’t outlift him after his three month stint.
[/quote]

Haha. I agree that CT’s post is a pretty good summary of the thread. If you see the movie, though, you’ll see that Cooper does look a bit fatter than you might expect, given his goal of appearing to be a tough, physically-fit Navy Seal like Chris Kyle. My guess is that if he had aimed for 25-30 lbs rather than 40 it would have been better. [/quote]

lol, proving his point.


#97

[quote]MinusTheColon wrote:

[quote]craze9 wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
After reading every post on the thread I’m going with this one as the definitive /thread one.

(and the elephant in the room)

BTW, some of you are the nitpickingest, yappingest, most arrogant bastards I’ve ever seen – going on and on about how Cooper looked like shit after his bulk, etc. Good grief.

It’s like The fucking View in here, ya bunch of old hens (except for the blonde babe on the right). I’d bet many of you who’ve been lifting for several years couldn’t outlift him after his three month stint.
[/quote]

Haha. I agree that CT’s post is a pretty good summary of the thread. If you see the movie, though, you’ll see that Cooper does look a bit fatter than you might expect, given his goal of appearing to be a tough, physically-fit Navy Seal like Chris Kyle. My guess is that if he had aimed for 25-30 lbs rather than 40 it would have been better. [/quote]

lol, proving his point.[/quote]

How so? (Did you see the movie?)


#98

In fairness, Bradley Cooper looked like a SEAL (guy on the right was an ex-SEAL and a consultant on the movie). Weighing actors for roles is complete bullshit.


#99

Agreed. He gained enough muscle to look kinda like a Navy Seal.

Also, shot angle and lighting can either make a guy look jacked OR like a wide hipped guy with moobs. Not to mention, same guy stationary and prepared for the picture being taken against being photographed walking out of a supermarket carrying a water bottle or whatever.

[quote]roybot wrote:
In fairness, Bradley Cooper looked like a SEAL (guy on the right was an ex-SEAL and a consultant on the movie). Weighing actors for roles is complete bullshit. [/quote]


#100

[quote]roybot wrote:
In fairness, Bradley Cooper looked like a SEAL (guy on the right was an ex-SEAL and a consultant on the movie). Weighing actors for roles is complete bullshit. [/quote]

the most disturbing thing here is the shorts