T Nation

American Military - We're Honored

My guy and I were at the Marine Base eating lunch today.  One marine in front of us and one marine behind us were discussing their impending deployments to Afghanistan and also talking about a friend who is out injured because of the middle east war.  Never in my life have I felt so unworthy to be in the presence of anyone.  My guy said, "I feel honored to be eating lunch among them."  I said, "we're so not worthy."

I used to think that I was really really giving myself, in my work as an ER nurse and also as a volunteer for the Diabetes Association and with High School kids seeking healthcare careers. I’d give my weekends, give my time and energy, give my knowledge. I thought, “I sure am a GIVER”. Boy, was I ever wrong.

Our military personnel are giving SOOOO much more over these past couple of years in the Middle East than most of us would or could ever give in our lifetimes, no matter how hard we tried.

They give years of their lives of service, give us years away from their children, years away from their spouses and loved ones, give up many of the daily conveniences that you and I take for granted (air conditioning, comfortable sleeping conditions, coming and going as we please, choosing what we want to eat for dinner, going to the movies, etc…). When they’re giving these things up, they’re giving us our Freedom. Some of them even give their lives for our Freedom.

You and I only walk around as a Free Americans today because of the sacrifices of these great american military people. I feel greatly honored and humbled because of this. Their greatness is the foundation, strength and spirit of our great country. And each and every one of our military personnel are true American Heroes. Our military personnel make me prouder now more than ever to call myself an American.

God Bless them and God Bless our country.

Too bad we have a repugnant administration running the whole show.

While I am not necessarily for the war effort in Iraq or Afghanistan, I understand your sentiment. Regardless of political opinion, we must absolutely respect the bravery and sacrifices given on behalf of our military.

However, I disagree with you when it comes to the notion that to be giving or serve the greater good requires loss of life or limb. As an ER nurse you have much to be proud of; this country is great not merely because of the sacrifices required by those in the armed forces but because of the people who find a means of contributing to society in a way which also contributes to their own life. While we may be honored by those who have fought and died on foreigh soil for the freedom we enjoy here at home, to glorify death and dismemberment is to spit on the very causes they are fighting for.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I agree 100% as well. I personally acknowledge the fact that this a war against terrorism. These battles we wage are important to the region. If the liberal left gets their way, we will become isolationists and let the world collapse around us.

Any of you lefties watch Spiderman? “With great power comes great responsibility” These guys and gals do so much for so little. Whoever posted the word repungent or repunegant or whatever, hit F7.

Excellent post! Ignore the remarks by liberals who’d rather bend over than fight for our country.

On behalf of my military team, we thank you for your support. And please, debate all you want - it’s what we are out here fighting for

My prayers are with the personel who sacrifice their own lives and time for the better of others…

Great post. It’s unfortunate that it has to get ruined by ANY political views on the LEFT OR RIGHT, or anyone calling out either side.

Grow up people.
(calling out both is okay though)

[quote]Trogdor wrote:
While I am not necessarily for the war effort in Iraq or Afghanistan, I understand your sentiment. Regardless of political opinion, we must absolutely respect the bravery and sacrifices given on behalf of our military.
[/quote]

I agree 100% with the above quote

I am not an american but australian and I also have the greatest respect for the mebers of armed services.

A quote from Roosevelt that always inspires…

“It is not the critic who counts, nor the one who points out how the strong man stumbled, or hot the doer of deeds might have done better. The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, whose faces are marred with sweat, dust and blood, who strive valiantly, who err and come up short again and again, who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spend themsleves in a worthy cause, who at the best know the triumph of high achievement and who, at the worst, if they fail, fail while daring so greatly that their place shall never be with those cold intreped souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

[quote]fos121 wrote:
On behalf of my military team, we thank you for your support. And please, debate all you want - it’s what we are out here fighting for[/quote]

Exactly. There are LIBERALS in the military. There are CONSERVATIVES in the military. Only the most basic minds would associate military service with one political affiliation or the other.

An oath is taken to stand for and protect the ideals of the Constitution, not to give a shit whether you are stupid enough to base all of your opinions on whether you like “red” or “blue”. Do us all a favor and learn to think for yourself.

Thanks for your post. Everywhere I turn I see the support the troops are receiving. I myself could not believe the support especially at DFW Airport in Dallas,Texas as we returned home from Iraq. I served with the 124th Cavalry Regiment, 36th Infantry Division, Texas Army National Guard in 2004.

It was very emotional for I had seen the other side of the coin so to speak. I returned to a different atmosphere in 1969 after serving in Vietnam with the 11th Armored cavalry Regiment. May we never return to those days.

[quote]Proff X wrote:
fos121 wrote:
On behalf of my military team, we thank you for your support. And please, debate all you want - it’s what we are out here fighting for

Exactly. There are LIBERALS in the military. There are CONSERVATIVES in the military. Only the most basic minds would associate military service with one political affiliation or the other.

An oath is taken to stand for and protect the ideals of the Constitution, not to give a shit whether you are stupid enough to base all of your opinions on whether you like “red” or “blue”. Do us all a favor and learn to think for yourself.[/quote]

There definitely is both political groups in the military. The thing about the people who are against our current administration is they tend to complain more (in my experience) about having to deploy or do certain parts of the job because they don’t agree with it.

Whereas the people that feel that we are doing the right thing will sacrafice more because they are fighting for a cause that they believe in. I’m in no way bashing any political group in the military because they both serve proudly and give their lives but I personally like working with those that support the war more than those that don’t. It’s all about morale when your away from home.

Sorry for hijacking your thread china doll. Great pomst, to bad there aren’t more people like you. I read an article about how they want to make a constitutional amendment to stop protests at the funerals of fallen soldiers because people were showing up with signs saying that these kids deserved to die.

I can’t imagine what it would be like to be a mother and see signs saying that your fallen son is going to hell. Makes me sick

[quote]fos121 wrote:
On behalf of my military team, we thank you for your support. And please, debate all you want - it’s what we are out here fighting for[/quote]

Great post. I’m not American, I don’t support the war, but I do admire the people who are out there risking their lives, while we debate on the internet. No sarcasm intented.

[quote]BoxBabaX wrote:
Too bad we have a repungent administration running the whole show. [/quote]

Box, Shut the hell up, asshole.

Chinadoll, thank you for your kind words and support.

[quote]AndrewG909 wrote:
Proff X wrote:
fos121 wrote:
On behalf of my military team, we thank you for your support. And please, debate all you want - it’s what we are out here fighting for

Exactly. There are LIBERALS in the military. There are CONSERVATIVES in the military. Only the most basic minds would associate military service with one political affiliation or the other.

An oath is taken to stand for and protect the ideals of the Constitution, not to give a shit whether you are stupid enough to base all of your opinions on whether you like “red” or “blue”. Do us all a favor and learn to think for yourself.

There definitely is both political groups in the military. The thing about the people who are against our current administration is they tend to complain more (in my experience) about having to deploy or do certain parts of the job because they don’t agree with it.

Whereas the people that feel that we are doing the right thing will sacrafice more because they are fighting for a cause that they believe in. I’m in no way bashing any political group in the military because they both serve proudly and give their lives but I personally like working with those that support the war more than those that don’t. It’s all about morale when your away from home.

Sorry for hijacking your thread china doll. Great pomst, to bad there aren’t more people like you. I read an article about how they want to make a constitutional amendment to stop protests at the funerals of fallen soldiers because people were showing up with signs saying that these kids deserved to die.

I can’t imagine what it would be like to be a mother and see signs saying that your fallen son is going to hell. Makes me sick[/quote]

I was with the Patriot Riders Group at a n Army SSgt. funeral in Athens, GA recently where that abortion of a church was present with the “God hates you” and the “Your son deserved to die” and “thank God for IED’s” signs. They are filthy, evil, despicable people. We were there to provide a buffer between the church and the protestors. It was sad to see the family and friends of the fallen going into the church while idiots were callling them names. Freedom of speech shouldn’t protect that. I don’t think the founding fathers had that in mind.

[quote]bluepulse wrote:
I agree 100% as well. I personally acknowledge the fact that this a war against terrorism. These battles we wage are important to the region. If the liberal left gets their way, we will become isolationists and let the world collapse around us.

Any of you lefties watch Spiderman? “With great power comes great responsibility” These guys and gals do so much for so little. Whoever posted the word repungent or repunegant or whatever, hit F7. [/quote]

Please don’t bring Spider-Man into the clusterfuck that is American foreign policy.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
AndrewG909 wrote:
Proff X wrote:
fos121 wrote:
On behalf of my military team, we thank you for your support. And please, debate all you want - it’s what we are out here fighting for

Exactly. There are LIBERALS in the military. There are CONSERVATIVES in the military. Only the most basic minds would associate military service with one political affiliation or the other.

An oath is taken to stand for and protect the ideals of the Constitution, not to give a shit whether you are stupid enough to base all of your opinions on whether you like “red” or “blue”. Do us all a favor and learn to think for yourself.

There definitely is both political groups in the military. The thing about the people who are against our current administration is they tend to complain more (in my experience) about having to deploy or do certain parts of the job because they don’t agree with it.

Whereas the people that feel that we are doing the right thing will sacrafice more because they are fighting for a cause that they believe in. I’m in no way bashing any political group in the military because they both serve proudly and give their lives but I personally like working with those that support the war more than those that don’t. It’s all about morale when your away from home.

Sorry for hijacking your thread china doll. Great pomst, to bad there aren’t more people like you. I read an article about how they want to make a constitutional amendment to stop protests at the funerals of fallen soldiers because people were showing up with signs saying that these kids deserved to die.

I can’t imagine what it would be like to be a mother and see signs saying that your fallen son is going to hell. Makes me sick

I was with the Patriot Riders Group at a n Army SSgt. funeral in Athens, GA recently where that abortion of a church was present with the “God hates you” and the “Your son deserved to die” and “thank God for IED’s” signs. They are filthy, evil, despicable people. We were there to provide a buffer between the church and the protestors. It was sad to see the family and friends of the fallen going into the church while idiots were callling them names. Freedom of speech shouldn’t protect that. I don’t think the founding fathers had that in mind.

[/quote]

WOW! Makes me wonder who the real terrorists are.

The military is there to do what is expected of them, no questions asked. They do their job well, they make their country proud!

My Son wants to join the military next year, he is not afraid to do what is asked of him if he goes and he knows the risks and has accepted them, as a father it scares the hell out of me and I have accepted the risk of loosing a son. If god forbid, something like this happens these sorry excuses for parents better not be in my face!

[quote]pushharder wrote:
BoxBabaX wrote:
Too bad we have a repungent administration running the whole show.

Too bad we have ankle-biters like you that want to piss on C-Doll’s perfectly good parade. Go home, Chihuahua (and learn how to spell).[/quote]

Maybe “repungent” means it smells on more than one occasion. Me, I am just guessing bad spelling. :wink: