T Nation

American Idol-HELP

I need someone to explain to me why this show is so popular. It’s not just that it looks lame, but I honestly can’t see why anyone would watch it. I’m not berating the show or trying to insult anyones taste in shows. I am sincerely asking because I just don’t grasp the appeal. I can even see why soaps are popular among a certain demographic, but this? Why does EVERYONE seem to love it… or is it popular merely because the media tells us so?
Admittedly, I have never seen a full episode and likely never will (though I’ve gotten all I need from the media and the clips I’ve seen), which is why I’m asking for your help on this.

The 1000 ads for this during the Eagles game (oh sorry, “Panthers game”) got me thinking: “is this really the right target audience for that ad?”

Cheers!

Whenever I try to figure something like that out, I think of The 7 out of 10 Theory. It was created by a local radio host as a joke about his being stupid. The more I thought about it, the more I agreed and find evidence to prove it’s true.

Basically, he just says that when you really boil it down, about 7 out of 10 people are pretty much just stupid. They don’t think and are suckers for whatever mindless brain fodder the world sends to them. The other part, the 3 out of 10 are known as the “Cognitive Elite” and actually think about things and question what they hear.

Why are people backing Kobe up? Why can politicians get by with what they do? Why are those muscle/jerk off mags so popular? Why do low carb beers sell as well as they do? Look to the 7 out of 10 my friend.

Just walk down the street one day, or better yet, go to the mall. Just start watching people and keeping mental notes on how they dress, how they talk, what they like, etc. Heck, if you go to the mall, you may want to increase that number to 8 out of 10.

So the next time you wonder how Entertainment Tonight stays on TV or why ephedrine has been banned, just remember that 7 out of 10 people think it’s a good idea.

I dont care anything about the competition part of the show. I just want to see the losers get blasted by the judges. that is funny as hell to me. After they get done with that part, I wont watch it again.

i have often wondered the same thing, and i have no answer. what is even more disturbing is all the marriage shows. who wants to marry a millionaire and all the other dumb ass shows like it.

how could an entire nation be captivated by two perfect strangers getting married? they make a complete mochery of the meaning of marriage.

I watch it for what Goldberg said.

But I also watch it because in the later episodes I enjoy seeing good singers…when the bad ones come on I turn it usually, or laugh at them…

But I enjoyed watching dudes like Ruben and Clay singing because they have pretty dang good voices…

Coming from what a psychiatrist said:

1. They take average Joes and non-stars/losers so that the big masses can identify to them. Very much to prevent the he must be on something, without those implants shed be nothing, Jeez that cosmetics job sure must have cost tons` unconscious knee-jerk barrier.

That barrier being removed or out of the way, average Joe feels he can relate to this dude/girl and…

1. Has to find something in common with the others on the show. Otherwise called living through others - the main reason why you started watching the show at start.

No contestant will have it all, but all the people on the show have been selected so that every type of character/look/style in the continuum gets displayed somewhere in the show.

So you have to stick to the end to see if your Joe Schmo makes it…heck, you have to, you identify to him and, hell, you don`t distinguish between yourself and him (now you know why point #1 is so important) AND are hooked. Sucker.

Its very much like advertising. It follows a very scientific formula. Put in the right ingredients,build it well`, and they will come. GUARANTEED.

Well, the masses, at least. The elite makes a show of its life, the exact opposite of the my life is that show thing.

Just my 2 cents.