American Education

Fucking Lol! Must have been good times.

2 Likes

I can think of another difference between the plight of European immigrants of the 19th/20th centuries and that of blacksā€“a difference some might say is more impactful than whether government help was profferedā€¦

I liked @MoreMuscleā€™s response to this about jobs. Also, we have the marriage gap in poor urban areas. Thatā€™s a cultural thing, a lot of progressives donā€™t like to talk about it, but when we close it, poverty drops into the single digits for everybody, including Blacks. Thatā€™s hopeful. You donā€™t have to vanquish racism if you can start addressing that.

Itā€™s impossible NOT to bring culture and race into the education debate because education is such a big part of the problem. I said this in another thread recently, but even if you canā€™t close the marriage gap completely, just supporting single mothers with finishing their educations, learning job skills is huge. Sorry if Iā€™m looking at this through a female lens. I think weā€™re failing poor inner city kids.

Yes. I worked in elementary schools and did preschool diagnostics in a poor urban area. People love their kids. Poor people love their kids, they just donā€™t always have the parenting skills that are going to drive college-bound or trade-school bound kids because they didnā€™t do those things.

Serious props for this. Some of these kids are sooo hard, and theyā€™ll just break your heart. Believe me, I get along just fine with rowdy little ADHD kids, but some of these teachers are dealing with some really hard situations with kids who are violent, really unpredictable, attachment disorders, etcā€¦ Kids that need residential treatment, but thatā€™s another topic. The schools have been the payer of last resort for this kind of thing, and the costs can be astronomical.

I want him.

I think itā€™s cool. I like that they also award scholarships for kids going to trade schools, and not just for kids who are college-bound. I like that a lot!

I couldnā€™t readily find their financials, but they are rated by Charity Navigator.

2 Likes

I had to call all my exā€™s to figure out which one had been holding out on me. My therapist thinks i might have memory dissociative disorder and only remember my kids while Iā€™m drinking. Made for crazy V day.

I feel like Aaron and Roy from primal fear.

Ha! That was me talking about kids! Quote within a quote fail.

How do you quote two people now? If I want to quote both you, and Aragornā€™s response to you?

Like this ^^ I just highlight the text click ā€˜quoteā€™ then highlight the next text and hit ā€˜quoteā€™

I donā€™t know how to do a quote with someone elseā€™s quote included.

1 Like

Lolā€¦yeah man no pension in that line of work. I mean if I was him, I would have a yugeee life insurance policy if I could manage it. He knew what he was doing.

Unless youā€™re in Zimbabwe or South Africaā€¦most countries over there, everyone looks like you. I donā€™t know if you can even call it the same heritage. Most African-Americans donā€™t know of any sort of heritage prior to ā€œmy ancestor was a slave.ā€

When you look at the messages and images you receive growing up, hardship in Africa could be related to a miasma of things, but unless youā€™re in one of those two countries I mentioned earlier, racism is not one of them. That alone changes how you allow it to affect you, your mindset, and your life. Its perceived control over said life.

Itā€™s challenging. But, just having people that do it, and encourage the same to others is huge. There is also a huge disconnect between classes of Black folks. I think @Basement_Gainz mentioned earlier about the ā€œUncle Tomā€™s.ā€ I mean hell, from elementary school through high school as a kid I heard that I talked ā€œWhiteā€ from peers. Generally you heard that from kids that were from poorer areas, and didnā€™t know the extent to which they were brainwashed. How insane is it to believe that speaking intelligently is associated with ā€œWhite?ā€ That is reality in the hood my friend.

Yeah. Goes back to the self-limiting statements we talked about a while back. Ultimately, weā€™re out here trying to do therapy for people who donā€™t even know theyā€™re fucked up lol. Itā€™s challenging, but very rewarding.

1 Like

This is true. I believe this and economic opportunity are tied together tightly.

Donā€™t apologize for looking at it from your perspective!!!

1 Like

I can think of MANY extremely significant differencesā€“and I said as much in the part you quoted. I prefaced it that way specifically in the hopes of avoiding the rejoinder you implied and focus on only one aspect.

The difference in cultures between poor folks who emigrated from Africa and poor A-Aā€™s from here is shocking.

My wife made good friends with a woman from Kenya in college. She came here legally at 15yo and did high school here (in a tough neighborhood), earning her citizenship at 22yo. I remember her saying ā€œI canā€™t date black guys from the states, they suck, no respect at all. And I canā€™t date guys any other color because my family would disown me.ā€

She ended up finding a dating service for black immigrants only and married a guy from Trinidad. We had them out to the house for a visit. They brought their 3 month old (fattest baby ever). We had a great time, I taught them how to shoot handguns. When buying houses came up she literally said ā€œwe want to live in the richest, whitest school district in the area so our baby will have the best chance. Property taxes be damned.ā€

Canā€™t fault that logic, but a sad commentary on schools in the US.

4 Likes

Another really good post but just quoting this part. I agree completely, and itā€™s sad. The reality is that a large part of success comes down to simple daily habits. You have to work on those habits to see the rest of the story, and one of the saddest parts I see in this whole mess is the whole successful black person referred to as Uncle Tom because they donā€™t toe the stereotype in mind for ā€œraised blackā€ in language or political alignment. Add to that that ā€œUncle Tomā€ is one of my least favorite insults ever because most people in life could only hope to be a fraction as good as Tom was in the book.

There are aspects, and then there are aspects. I would be curious to hear why you chose the ā€˜government assistanceā€™ aspect as the one worth addressing.

This is true. I believe this and economic opportunity are tied together tightly.[/quote]

Yes indeed. I think itā€™s a tragedy that Moynihan Report was pilloried because it had a lot of substance that is playing out now.

1 Like

Because I thought it was self-evident that slavery and jim crow were key. Apparently I was wrong and it wasnā€™t self-evident. Then just look at MoreMuscleā€™s post below mineā€“he hits exactly on where I was going to go with it.

Iā€™m glad that Iā€™m not the only one who still hasnā€™t figured this out, lol.

1 Like

Two very different groups of people. I love you taught them to shoot guns. My country teammates taught me to shoot compound bows and shotguns lol goodtimes.

1 Like

Well, shoot. I just figured it out. Itā€™s tedious and requires you to place one quote inside the other.

1 Like

Absolutely. Tony Robbins is brilliant on this.

Do you notice this as a S&C Coach as well? I guess it depends where you areā€¦but the generally get to see a myriad of people.

In reference to Uncle Tomā€¦Yeah Itā€™s pretty twisted.
Interesting article on it if youā€™re interested:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.theroot.com/when-uncle-tom-became-an-insult-1790879561/amp?client=ms-android-verizon

You seem to be suggesting that government assistance is the major driver regarding the sense of socioeconomic inferiority @MoreMuscle discussed. Thatā€™s not how I read his comment.