American Education

It depends entirely on the individual. Of the person afforded the chance by AA is a hard worker than no hurdle will stop them.

What about the person who earned the grades that got displaced by your friend? Again my point is that the displaced person probably did okay at some other school provided he/she was a hard worker.

But I can’t get my head around this concept: “Affirmative Action is racism liberals agree with.” You are literally admitting someone because of the color of their skin, not their merits.

The liberal argument is that the oppressed person has less merits because they were afforded less opportunity by society.

This is really all angels on the heads of pins though. Minorities do poorly (in aggregate) in school because they grow up in a broken society that doesn’t value scholastic achievement.

You can’t blame it on racist oppression or poverty. Otherwise how do poor Asians/Indians without two dimes to rub together come here and outscore all of the natives? Their cultures value school more than whites/blacks/hispanics. The government and the schools can’t change the culture.

Not exactly. The argument is that hundreds and hundreds of years of de jure, then de facto institutional racism produced a situation in which minority individuals faced barriers to education and employment that were, for all practical purposes, insurmountable. Affirmative Action is a way to address–to ameliorate–the inequities that resulted from these barriers.

Let us take this at face value. Your argument immediately begets the questions, why is their society “broken,” and why doesn’t their society “value scholastic achievement”? The answer, of course, is that a broken society that fails to value education is the legacy of the hundreds of years of institutional racism mentioned above.

Again, let us take this at face value. You are actually advancing my position, and hurting your own. Consider: What is the difference between the poor folk who grew up here and the poor Asians/Indians who “come here and outscore all of the natives”? The answer is, the newcomers did not grow up in an America suffused with 400 years of institutional racism. This is what accounts for the difference in academic performance.

No. But seeing other members of their minority group reach escape velocity and break the cycle of intergenerational poverty can, and this is what AA is intended to achieve.

5 Likes

That is a well reasoned rebuttal, except for:

Minorities who work hard and succeed are very often attacked and called “Uncle Toms” or some such. As if success makes you a “race traitor”.

I guess I didn’t voice my objection to AA properly though. How is giving someone a spot in college or a job that they didn’t earn overcoming centuries of racism? Did the racism not happen now that we use AA? Does the achievement of the person granted AA outweigh the resentment of the non-minorities disadvantaged by race based AA programs?

So how do you “fix” a culture anyway?

I’m not sure if you’re insinuating she only got into Penn because of
Affirmative Action. She had a 4.2 in high school, I don’t know her SAT
scores. She would have went to any other college with 30+ credits from high
school.

This is what I was referring to with AA. You either believe 1.) You’re
lowering the bar to allow more people in or 2.) You’re providing
opportunities for marginalized people where they didn’t previously exist.
If you’re gonna lower the bar, that’s probably detrimental. If you keep the
bar the same height and allow spots specifically for Blacks or whoever,
then you haven’t lowered the bar, you simply created spots for
under-represented communities. It is still “discrimination” technically.
Racism is a stretch seeing as you have to believe one group is superior
(based on the textbook definition).

Pretty accurate, though I will say there are a lot of parents that value
academic achievement in impoverished, minority, areas but are unable to
overcome the effects of peers. Show me your friends and I’ll show you your
future is really, really true.

2 Likes

Depends on the person and the causes they champion.

1 Like

True. It seems the left can’t handle a minority or woman conservative. It breaks the narrative that the only people who want limited government are the rich white males.

But I derailed the thread, again.

Carry on.

I would ask, how do you repair a group that has been told they have no culture prior to 1607? That they were inferior by law until 1965? That’s the year my dad was born. Think about that. He was born the year they said “ya’ll coloreds are no longer considered inferior via law.” Then one must take into account the cultural stigmitization outside of just the law…but I digress.

How do you make-up for Slavery+Jim Crow?
Is AA appropriate or do you give people the equivalent 40 acres & a mule as was originally proposed? I’d say AA is grounded in providing opportunities for groups that weren’t previously allowed them. When the policy was written by Dr. Claude Anderson, it was intended solely for Blacks.

Now it has expanded to viritually anyone other than a White Man, and White Women are the greatest benefactors of it. So truly, AA has lost its way. The amount of people displaced by it is so little, it is funny people get upset by it, but I guess it’s not surprising.

Personally, I would take land, and the opportunity to build something, over working for someone’s corporation who may or may not have the interests of my community at heart. It would also encourage self-determination vs. asking for a job or for the government to help. But, to go down that path would require some politician to acknowledge Slavery+Jim Crow, and apologize for it, which has never been done. If you want to get rid of AA and similar policies, land would be the best way to do it.

1 Like

Yes, that can happen. Is part-and-parcel of the warped cultural values you referred to previously.

AA does not involve ‘giving someone a spot they didn’t earn.’ Rather, it involves considering race as a factor in making admission/hiring decisions. In other words, if two applicants are both qualified, and one is from a group that is underrepresented for the reasons we discussed above, preference can be given to that applicant.

The term ‘racism’ refers to a belief system in which it is held that one racial groups is inherently superior (or inferior) compared to another. Prioritizing the admission/hiring of racial minorities does not require or imply that one believes they are ‘superior.’

That’s an empirical question, and a good one. I do not know the answer.

By modifying the socioeconomic conditions that broke it in the first place.

I’m good with that. The federal government can give back some land they constitutionally aren’t allowed to own.

The problem is the best time to do that would have been 1865. The land should have been given to actual victims of slavery. Now who gets it? But that’s irrelevant since we both know that won’t happen.

I guess for the non-racist people who don’t like AA it’s about the fairness of it. I can’t see how AA passes the “equal protection under the law” test.

This is a thread about education though and we’re still talking about culture. I don’t have the answer here. But after 60 years of “great society” programs alot of black people are living in violent slums with destroyed nuclear families and no hope. There are many poor whites living in ugly conditions too, but they don’t have to contend with the violence near as much.

What’s the solution?

Just give it to descendents that can be proven…probably easiest way

A Job stops a bullet 98% of the time.

Black Unemployment rate is consistently in the low teens. Black teenager unemployment from July was 20.6%

I would encourage and teach Entrepreneurship and financial literacy. In a country where 86% of businesses are owned by White Men, I may think, “I don’t know any black business owners…how would I own one?”
Why do you think drug dealers are glorified in inner cities by young men? Because they own the means of production and build their own wealth. Drug dealers are incredibly intelligent entrepreneurs, they’re simply using their skills for evil rather than good. Look at Jay-Z now…lol.

Marshawn Lynch and Ray Lewis are two great examples of guys pushing this sort of message in their respective communities (Oakland and Baltimore), but it has to be mainstream.

In the absence of economic opportunity, you’ll do virtually anything to survive. If you get rich like some NFL of NBA players and don’t manage your money well…you’ll be right back to square 1. If your family lacks financial literacy, you’ll always be poor. If you can’t create jobs in your community, you can’t expect other groups of people to. This all leads back to the unemployment rate.

4 Likes

Boom. I’m gonna gas up the Cessna and go air drop Rich Dad Poor Dad & Total Money Makover on the inner city.

I sold insurance to a drug dealer once. He was a 19yo with a 3yo daughter. He was walking with a limp. He had been shot in the leg the day before. He paid a vet cash to get the bullet out and sew him up. He wanted his daughter to have something if he died “in the game”. I had to explain if he died with product or a gun on him or in the commission of a felony the policy wouldn’t pay out. He responds “you don’t keep product on you. What kind of amateur you think I am?” So we’re filling out the app and I ask him “occupation?” He just stares at me. Sone I recover “entrepreneur?” He laughed his ass off. “I’m gonna print business cards and everything.”

I often wonder what that guy could have done if he had a better family around him and grew up somewhere nicer.

1 Like

Probably woulda landed a job with Wall Street. Drug dealers understand economics better than anybody lol

3 Likes

Everybody gather around the fire, it’s story time.

When I was finishing up my teacher education, the state of California reduced ninth grade English class sizes to 20-1 because of failing test scores.Instead of student teaching, I got hired to teach five ninth grade English classes at Luther Burbank High School in Sacramento, California. It was a struggling school that was inner city and ethnically diverse.

I started mid year so the kids were a little leery. I wanted to model writing an essay, but I wanted it to be accessible to the kids, so I let them pick the topic. After a few minutes of silence, I threatened them with having to write an essay on my topic of choice, perhaps something on the value of zero coupon bonds for investment diversity.

Well, a girl got the hint and came up with a topic, “Pimpin’ Ain’t Easy”

I explained the importance of diction and knowing your audience, so we spent the next thirty minutes as a group writing an essay on “The Challenges of Managing a Sole Proprietorship.”

Fun times.

9 Likes

She made it, so she was better off going to UPenn and Wharton. She was a kid who had the academic skills to make it at an Ivy League school, so for her it payed off. We don’t know if any bars were lowered for her, but it sounds like she had fantastic grades and study skills. As for your other question, I don’t know the data, but Jason Riley does make some good points regarding one down side. I’m not sure he’s arguing that we shouldn’t have ever tried AA. I haven’t read his book. That stat about increased graduation rates was pretty stunning, right?

You guys probably know this, but there have been some lawsuits from Asian groups regarding admissions to some of the top schools and raising the bar for Asian kids. The Ivies, and even the top public universities like UCLA or Cal do not want to have a majority of Asian students, because they are striving for their schools to reflect the population.

At one time there was a big push at Harvard to accept more poor kids from the small town America, the middle, because is was a bastion for upper class WASP kids, and Jewish kids from the East coast. We see that in CA where admissions consider “hardship”, or try to admit kids from poorer high schools. That’s not race specifically, but it does result in a more diverse population, and despite dropping race-based admissions, we continue to have really diverse student bodies because of these efforts.

In CA we have a tree-tier public school system. Community College, State Colleges, and the UC System at the top. Of course, some of those kids who are the top students at their poor high school, might get into a UC, but if they are going to quit, or wash out into a major like sociology, because they don’t have the math skills to succeed in Engineering, then they might be better off starting at a CC or State School where they can succeed. The UCs accept transfer students from the CC system at a really high rate. It’s often a better way to go if the kid doesn’t have the skills.

Agree, to a point. AND this is one reason I REALLY like school choice. Some of these very bright minority kids are attending under-performing schools. They may be one of the top 10 students in their graduating class, but they might only be an average student at a top high school like the one my kids attend, where 96% of the students go on to higher education. Yes, they can rise, but it’s harder for them to compete.

Motivated parents who value education have always looked for better schools. When you’re a middle-class or upper-class family, it’s a huge consideration in where you decide to live. The Puff family can choose to buy a home on this side of the freeway, where there’s a nationally ranked public high school. Poor families don’t always have that option. Charter schools, public school lotteries, and vouchers help with that. It’s understandable that public school teachers don’t like to see the top kids disappear from the neighborhood school, but they’ve been seeing that FOREVER as families with money can move, or pay for private tuition. These options just give poor families who are motivated a similar choice.

Charter schools generally do not crop up in areas where there are great public schools. The majority of kids in my area attend the public schools, because they are really good. There aren’t any public charters around, because there’s no demand. They are REALLY popular in poor urban areas, and with Black and Hispanic families.

Well, I don’t think this is going out on a limb to say there are cultural differences. Funny story. My son plays violin. He started lessons when he was nine. His elementary school is 48% Asian. There are tons of little Asian kids who are taking violin lessons at age three. To give you an idea, our high school has three orchestras. Anyway, I took him to a try out for the Honor’s orchestra when he was in sixth grade, and as we were walking out he said something like this. “Mom, I really wish you were a tiger mom who put me in lessons when I was three, and forced me to practice for two hours everyday. I would be so good now!”

Well you still have to want to read it and understand its implications of course, but Rich Dad Poor Dad was a game changer for me. You also have to remember that if you’re struggling to eat short term focus is probably greater than long term.

I’m actively working on this problem so this is great brain storming.

Your story is is disheartening but comical. You’re absolutely right though, I wonder that about quite a few kids I grew up with.

1 Like

Just a little trip down memory lane. Elizabeth Warren talking Pro School Choice in 2003. MANY top Dems including Bill and Hillary Clinton have been Pro School Choice. I believe Hillary modified her position about a year before the election, after she got the endorsements of the teacher’s unions. I don’t think we’d even be debating it if it weren’t for the unions.

IMO, it should be a bi-partisan issue, and I was really hopeful that this was going to be the case soon. Regardless of how you feel about Betsy DeVos, it seems that people who support school choice are now being accused of “Trying to ruin public education!” It’s hysteria, with no grounds. We have been trying lotteries, vouchers, charters, for years now in areas with poor public schools.

edited

1 Like

This is very true. The UCs lower level classes are so large, many drop out. They take the CC kids because they have already completed the two years and are serious about their work. /Personal experience.

1 Like

@MoreMuscle @Basement_Gainz Check out this podcast. James interviews Rick Ross, who was just that. An inner city kid who knew more about economics than most bachelor level graduate with an economics degree.

1 Like

These two things are tied together in my opinion.

Go to another school and you’re no longer #1 in your class, but if you stay at the under-performing school and then go to a major university where you’re no longer #1 at everything, your identity and self-confidence take a yugeeeee hit. It’s very common, especially with kids of color from poorer communities.
I’d argue that’s what happened to my friend. She’s doing very well now, but it was quite the struggle, and she was already a little high strung lol. The graduation rates were stellar, what a perfect experiment huh?

I have seen this. They are absolutely being discriminated against and it’s incredibly interesting. Have those cases been resolved? I think that’s the interesting thing about AA. As the demographic and socioeconomic status of groups changes, so will those who are preferred and those who are not.

2 Likes

Is this a problem? Serious question…

1 Like