T Nation

American Cup Sqt Highlights [Single Ply]

Congrats to all lifters for their achivements.

4.1.7 Upon receiving the Chief RefereeĆ¢??s signal, the lifter must bend the knees and lower the body until the top surface of the legs at the hip joint is lower than the top of the knees. I know camera angles can be very deceiving when judging depth, so I hope this is the case, but it sure looks dodgy to me.

At the risk of stating the obvious, Best's and Thomason's last squats are both redlighted for depth. I thought Thomason's first two were great but his 1058 looked a little high. I think Best's first squat was right there and his second one was borderline but definitely on the high side.
That being said, it's the refs call and they had a better angle on it than I. Bad calls happen, and trying to judge depth for big guys with five spotters around is not easy.

He definitely hit depth at 1:53 and got a red, then he was high at 2:54 and got a pass? (video didn't show if it was 2 or 3 whites)

Even high squatting that much weight is one hell of an accomplishment, so I'm not judging - I'm just confused.

I had high hopes for the USPA. Looks like they decided to join the high numbers club. Oh well.