America Loves Big Brother?

Are Obama, Reid, and Pelosi succeeding in bringing the majority of Americans to loving Big Brother?

An interesting take from an experienced Democrat pollster: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/11/AR2010031102904.html

What are you even talking about? Big Brother left office last year.

[quote]Ryan P. McCarter wrote:
What are you even talking about? Big Brother left office last year.[/quote]

Sure, it is all so much better now!

Guantanamo is closed, the Patriot act expired, habeas corpus is a firmly established principle of law, there are no wire tappings inside the US by intelligence agencies, crony capitalism is dead and the troops have come home.

The new boss is the same as the old boss, he just knows how to use a teleprompter.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Are Obama, Reid, and Pelosi succeeding in bringing the majority of Americans to loving Big Brother?

An interesting take from an experienced Democrat pollster: www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/11/AR2010031102904.html[/quote]
Sensible short piece. Schoen and Caddell are on FOX pleading this way all the time to no avail.

Seriously!? WTF!?

[quote]orion wrote:

Guantanamo is closed, the Patriot act expired, habeas corpus is a firmly established principle of law, there are no wire tappings inside the US by intelligence agencies, crony capitalism is dead and the troops have come home.

The new boss is the same as the old boss, he just knows how to use a teleprompter.

[/quote]

Abso-fuckin-lutely. This guy is a sock puppet, which I suspect most have been going back to post-Andrew Jackson.

[quote]orion wrote:

[/quote]

This is true, but I was mainly attempting to call attention to the fact that all these things started under the last president, and so it’s extremly dishonest to begin to complain about them now.

[quote]orion wrote:

[/quote]

This is true, but I was mainly attempting to call attention to the fact that all these things started under the last president, and so it’s extremly dishonest to begin to complain about them now.[/quote]

True, but since the OP is not really a dyed in the wool republican why adress him this way?

He is hardly responsible for the bottom of the barrel of the Republican party.

Back to the topic:

Yes, I do believe that a lot of people like a Big Brother. A benevolent Big Brother who protects them from the hardships of life, absolves them of their personal responsibilty for their own lifes and protects them from predatory lenders and other bad, bad capitalist pigs.

Of course a government that can do that has them firmly by the balls, but I guess for a lot of people that is a great deal.

[quote]orion wrote:
True, but since the OP is not really a dyed in the wool republican why adress him this way?

He is hardly responsible for the bottom of the barrel of the Republican party. [/quote]
The OP is not a Republican at all. It is correct that I find no practical (actual outcomes) difference between them and the Democrats with regard to personal freedoms, with the Democrats averaging worse for economic freedom and, as bad as the Republicans are in this, even worse when it comes to wanting the government to always be ever-bigger-yet and ever-more-powerful.

Finding them on average not as extremely objectionable as Democrat politicians doesn’t make one a Republican.

As for the peon (which I assume is what the P stands for) calling me “extremely dishonest,” that is about as accurate as any of the other products of his chronic diarrhea of the keyboard. I do believe that there is a gene that compels people having it to publicly display their stupidity.

In terms of community genetics, this is useful.

[quote]orion wrote:

[/quote]

This is true, but I was mainly attempting to call attention to the fact that all these things started under the last president, and so it’s extremly dishonest to begin to complain about them now.[/quote]

I don’t remember Bush trying to pass a national health care plan. Oh wait, that must you trying to make a statement that Obama is no worse than Bush. Obama must be such a let down to all of the wild eyed kiddies like you who had such great dreams of hope and change.

I’m so sorry, buyers remorse sucks doesn’t it?

[quote]orion wrote:

[/quote]

Quit driving while looking at your rear-view mirror. While they might have been started by the last president, they are being continued by the current president.

Key quotes from the article:

"Scott Rasmussen asked last month whose decisions people feared more in health care: that of the federal government or of insurance companies. By 51 percent to 39 percent, respondents feared the decisions of federal government more. This is astounding given the generally negative perception of insurance companies.

“CNN found last month that 56 percent of Americans believe that the government has become so powerful it constitutes an immediate threat to the freedom and rights of citizens. When only 21 percent of Americans say that Washington operates with the consent of the governed, as was also reported last month, we face an alarming crisis.”

[quote]orion wrote:True, but since the OP is not really a dyed in the wool republican why adress him this way?

He is hardly responsible for the bottom of the barrel of the Republican party.

[/quote]

Not a Republican? Billy Bob? Please. His insistance that he is not a Republican is further proof.

And because he mentions Obama, Pelosi, and Reid. Criticize them all you want, but they have simply continued what Bush started, and so his complaints are purely partisan, if you had any doubt to begin with.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[/quote]

I don’t remember Bush trying to pass a national health care plan. Oh wait, that must you trying to make a statement that Obama is no worse than Bush. Obama must be such a let down to all of the wild eyed kiddies like you who had such great dreams of hope and change.

[/quote]

Trying to pass a national health care plan has nothing to do with any Big Brother Glenn Beck survivalist fantasies.

But yes, you are right: Bush showed in many ways that he doesn’t care one wit about American citizens.

But why is it only a problem for you now? That’s why it’s dishonest.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[/quote]

Trying to pass a national health care plan has nothing to do with any Big Brother Glenn Beck survivalist fantasies.[/quote]

GOvernment taking over health care has nothing to do with big brother? Ha ha, whatever helps you get to sleep at night.

Because he didn’t want health care run by the government? When you get some time in your busy schedule take a peek at the kind of shape the US Post Office is in. 7 billion in debt and they said they will have to stop delivering mail on Saturday. Nice Job! Let’s trust the government with our health care, let’s give them more power to control our lives. I’ll feel sooo safe and secure (jumping up and down) what a GOOOOOOD IDEA. yea.

Honestly I have no idea what the hell people like you are thinking.

What happened to you? It was something bad.

[/quote]

Nonsense, none of us were in favor of the Bush spending frenzy and many of us said so right here on the forum. That Obama has taken the baton and increased the rate of spending is even worse.

But he’s your man, right? You voted for him, true? How do you feel about his actions regarding sending more troops abroad, not closing Gitmo and continuing the Patriot Act.

Is that enough hope and change for you, or do you want more?

Happy?

[/quote]
In this world there does exist leftists with whom it is possible to have a substantive if utterly misguided discourse. You are not even that. You are an ignorant misinformed simpleton living in a perpetual self induced macro-hallucination. The sad part is it’s people like you who go down the hardest when their fantasies actually come true.

a.) No, not necessarily, and b.) no such government takeover exists or is being proposed.

But you’d better just go on believing whatever Glenn Beck tells you.

The post office has been profitable for years. For instance, in Q1 2008, they posted profits of $672 million despite taking in $500 million less in revenue than they expected.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN3023635220080130

Yet now that structural changes that have nothing to do with their efficiency are eating into their profits, it proves that government can’t do anything?

Ok, I can play this game: banks lost a lot of money recently. This proves that private enterprise is completely incapable of running a bank, and we should therefore nationalize them.

Or, airports have lost money recently, indisputably showing the need for complete nationalization of air transportation.

You see what kind of absurd results you get out of absurd premises?

After you finish, explain how a public OPTION (in which, you have to voluntarialy buy in), is a government takeover? Now, after you’ve done that, explain how the current bill is takeover, when it doesn’t even have a public option. Have fun.

You apparently have no ideas at all.

Well, if that’s your perspective. Thinking a little bit can be a good thing.