America Falling Apart?

Al Sharpton vows to shut New York down…police in Chicago have to be given assault rifles like the Marines have, to control gang violence…consumer confidence is collapsing…home prices are collapsing…oil and food prices are skyrocketing…

Where will it end?

We need Zap to come on here and say ‘The sky is falling!’ to cheer us all up! :wink:

Thank your lucky stars your country haven’t been bombed to oblivion and invaded by foreigners. That they built bases and that the country subsequently became a honeypot for foreign terrorist groups.

And while all the foreigners are allegedly fighting to “free” you, you’re stuck in the middle as a refugee in your own land.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Thank your lucky stars your country haven’t been bombed to oblivion and invaded by foreigners. That they built bases and that the country subsequently became a honeypot for foreign terrorist groups.

And while all the foreigners are allegedly fighting to “free” you, you’re stuck in the middle as a refugee in your own land.[/quote]

When will you get it into your head that the people of Iraq voted for their government? You defend Iran as a democracy yet somehow have it in your head that terrorists fighting AN ELECTED GOVERNMENT in Iraq are justified in what they do.

Is it true that you really are in Al-Qaeda? Only someone absolutely insane could hold these positions. I seriously think the NSA or CIA should investigate you. Rainjack has you pegged. Wow!

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
lixy wrote:

And while all the foreigners are allegedly fighting to “free” you, you’re stuck in the middle as a refugee in your own land.

When will you get it into your head that the people of Iraq voted for their government? You defend Iran as a democracy yet somehow have it in your head that terrorists fighting AN ELECTED GOVERNMENT in Iraq are justified in what they do.

Is it true that you really are in Al-Qaeda? Only someone absolutely insane could hold these positions. I seriously think the NSA or CIA should investigate you. Rainjack has you pegged. Wow!

[/quote]

You mean they voted for the people that you allowed them to vote for?

AND you continuously ignore the super majority that wants you out of Iraq NOW and yet you argue with the will of the people?

[quote]orion wrote:

You mean they voted for the people that you allowed them to vote for?[/quote]

They were not chosen by us.

[quote]AND you continuously ignore the super majority that wants you out of Iraq NOW and yet you argue with the will of the people?
[/quote]

And another lie. While I admit its been a few months since I saw a poll, there was no “supermajority”, and in fact only 47% of the population wanted us to leave immediately, meaning 53% didn’t. And that was the highest it ever polled.

This was posted on these forums, and I had to do the math for the person who actually thought 47% was a majority. (It wasn’t you was it?)

[quote]The Mage wrote:
orion wrote:

You mean they voted for the people that you allowed them to vote for?

They were not chosen by us.

AND you continuously ignore the super majority that wants you out of Iraq NOW and yet you argue with the will of the people?

And another lie. While I admit its been a few months since I saw a poll, there was no “supermajority”, and in fact only 47% of the population wanted us to leave immediately, meaning 53% didn’t. And that was the highest it ever polled.

This was posted on these forums, and I had to do the math for the person who actually thought 47% was a majority. (It wasn’t you was it?)[/quote]

Every poll ever taken shows a clear majority of Iraqis (over 2/3) condone attacks of the American military in Iraq.

[quote]lixy wrote:

And while all the foreigners are allegedly fighting to “free” you, you’re stuck in the middle as a refugee in your own land.[/quote]

In another thread, we discussed Boston’s suggested rules. One of them was not yanking threads into topics unrelated to the OP.

Here we have a thread on America falling apart, and you start talking about Iraq.

Enough, Lixy.

I think it’s just the ebb and flow any republic has. There are so many dynamic forces - from Government to Economy (the inherent instability Capitalism haves vs have nots) to citizen privacy…

When police start knocking on doors, arresting people without warrants… oh, wait. Sheriff Arpaio is doing that in Guadalupe right now. Fascism is knocking on our door. That is a bad sign things are getting out of hand.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

When will you get it into your head that the people of Iraq voted for their government?

[/quote]

The majority of American citizens voted into presidency Al Gore yet the majority of American citizens got a president they did not vote for. That is in America…the land of Democracy.

Do you honestly believe that democracy in Iraq is somehow better than democracy in the good ole USA? Do you believe votes are honestly casted, counted, and the person that the majority of Iraqis wanted in office takes office? I doubt you honestly believe that would ever happen in Iraq.

That does not even happen in the US, so what why would it happen in Iraq?

Iraqi opinions on American occupation.

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?ItemID=14689

Dustin

Wow, it didn’t take this thread long to go off the rails.

Several states are on the verge of bankruptcy, which is going to kill the bond market. School districts, which rely on state funds to operate, will simply have to have classes of 75 or 100 kids. States are in big trouble. Municipalities have a LOT of real estate which pays no taxes, since the homes are abandoned. Reduced cops, firefighters, school teachers…gonna be bad.

Is it getting more and more logical just to repudiate our debts, like some Latin American country, and start over from scratch?

"At least twenty-seven states, including several of the nation�??s largest, face budget shortfalls in fiscal year 2009. Of these 27 states, specific estimates are available for 22 states and the District of Columbia; the combined deficits of these 22 states plus the District of Columbia are expected to total at least $39 billion for fiscal 2009 �?? which begins July 2008 in most states. Another 3 states expect budget problems in fiscal year 2010, although some of those gaps may occur earlier than expected.

The bursting of the housing bubble has reduced state sales tax revenue collections from sales of furniture, appliances, construction materials, and the like. Weakening consumption of other products has also cut into sales tax revenues. Property tax revenues have also been affected, and local governments will be looking to states to help address the squeeze on local and education budgets. And if the employment situation continues to deteriorate, income tax revenues will weaken and there will be further downward pressure on sales tax revenues as consumers become reluctant or unable to spend."

http://www.cbpp.org/1-15-08sfp.htm

I think this is the weak link that’s not getting much attention.

[quote]lixy wrote:

Wow, way to stick to topic.

Now are you gonna suddenly be pissed if people start bashing on Muslims?

[quote]Dustin wrote:
Iraqi opinions on American occupation.

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?ItemID=14689

Dustin[/quote]

Maybe we should have ONE thread to deal with Iraq.

Then every thread would not have to be about Iraq.

The sky is falling.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
In another thread, we discussed Boston’s suggested rules. One of them was not yanking threads into topics unrelated to the OP.
[/quote]

So what?! This is an anarchic forum. There are no rules mandated by a governing body. There are only suggested manners that we are free to either use or not and as such means the threads are user-regulated. In any event, this is private property and the forum owners will decide what is posted or not.

The appropriate action in this scenario is for you to ignore what you consider derailing. Give others the freedom to respond.

Errr… I didn’t know a price could collapse, try plummeting.

Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, just straight up economics at play.

Supply is far more than demand. We should be happy, I’m just turned 21 and when I go to buy a house, it’s not going to be that difficult.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

So what?! This is an anarchic forum. There are no rules mandated by a governing body. There are only suggested manners that we are free to either use or not and as such means the threads are user-regulated. In any event, this is private property and the forum owners will decide what is posted or not.

The appropriate action in this scenario is for you to ignore what you consider derailing. Give others the freedom to respond.[/quote]

This would make more sense if you were 14 - what is your excuse?

I can understand your desire not to adhere to a basic level of quality around here, given your limitations - but some of us are interested in a better debate.

I also understand you want “anarchy” to rule so that the forums get dumbed down to your level, but alas, that’s the last place we want to go.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
I also understand you want “anarchy” to rule so that the forums get dumbed down to your level, but alas, that’s the last place we want to go.[/quote]

It has nothing to do with what I want. It is the nature of private property. Anarchic transactions (such as being made here) pervade the majority of life.

Anarchy implies self-regulation and we shouldn’t want it any other way. It is the most freedom we will ever enjoy.

I do not think the quality of the forums suffer at all. I am capable of ignoring subject matter and posts that I deem valueless.