Amazon HQ2, Good Or Bad For The City They Pick?

Whaaaaat the fuck lol. Best story I’ve heard this week!

Atlanta is a big contender. Honestly, we don’t need them though. They would better serve a struggling community like Baltimore or Detroit. But Atlanta is attractive for that very reason. We are very business friendly. However, traffic is already murder here. If they put it here, hopefully it’s on the south side and out of my way.
I’ve had my job for 15 years, I am not moving until they drag me out in a bag…

They would have to import employees.

What’s the unemployment rate there?

The better question is, what’s the employable rate?

3 Likes

Well, I just googled it. 6.2% is the unemployment rate currently and it’s trending down. There is a lot of income disparity and disproportionality that a thing like Amazon can fix with it’s magic wand.
What I don’t know in any detail is what the penalties, or negative aspects of a place like Baltimore present to a behemoth like Amazon. GA has low taxes, land on the ready and is labor rich, particularly skilled labor. I guess that’s why we are a leading contender… This is according to NPR\ GPB discussions in the past week or two.
Baltimore is smaller, has high taxes and I am not sure what kind of labor market.
Really, I just want Amazon to go where they will do the most good. GA has Porsche, Ford, Coca Cola IBM, etc… We have a lot of heavy hitters here.

Baltimore has murder.

1 Like

Looks like PA has a decent shot:

Sweeeet, more liberals in Montgomery County! :expressionless:

2 Likes

Los Angeles is the only city west of the Rocky Mountains that made the cut.

1 Like

Well I mean HQ1 is already west of the Rockies. So it wouldn’t exactly make sense to put HQ2 close to the original, especially in CA anyway. Electricity costs alone make it stupid.

3 Likes

For sure. I was surprised that LA made the cut, to be honest. I’d bet against it.

From the LA times.

“Los Angeles, which has suffered an exodus of corporate headquarters in the last two decades because of the area’s relatively high business taxes and housing costs, would welcome Amazon’s presence.”

The city of LA is quite economically desperate. Los Angeles had about 19% of it’s residents living in poverty in 2014. The economy in many of those neighborhoods has never recovered. Areas in worse shape now, than at the time of the LA riots 25 years ago.

1 Like

Amazon as a company kind of gives me the creeps at this point. I was watching some stuff on their pilot home delivery service that uses a video camera to confirm that the package has been delivered. I guess there were some problems with video lag or something, but they just want to be in peoples homes way too much. Video and a key, and a voice monitoring system and just Creepy AS F@*K!

No one or thing that wants into someones home that badly should be allowed in. Way too invasive.

2 Likes

It is crazy. We have an Alexa and that bitch will just randomly interrupt a conversation. I’m like, the fuck outta her Ingsoc!I

1 Like

My city, Nashville, is on the short list. I’d like them to get it and not build it too close to me. I’ll end up having to move farther outside than I already do.

1 Like

My father in law got Alexa. Try messing with her.

“Alexa, where were you manufactured?”
“I was engineered in the United States.”
“Don’t you dodge the question, where were your components manufactured?”
“I don’t understand the question.”

Machines that can dodge questions and lie. No bueno.

4 Likes

The other day we asked her what the average dick and bust size in America is and she knew!

God bless America!

1 Like

So is Atlanta… If they pick us, I hope they go south side. The traffic is murder as is.

1 Like

Yeah. I’m actually from the south side of Atlanta (and went to school in the city). I no longer live in Atlanta largely because of traffic. I really don’t want Nashville to turn into Atlanta.