T Nation

Amateur MMA

Are the rules different in amateur MMA to pro/semi-pro?

I was reading in this months MAI about Pro Kumite, and in the interview someone mentions that amateur MMA involves shin pads and no head shots. I have never heard this before.

Also got me thinking-I have never seen a MMA bout with shin pads, so does that mean most are Pro? And if so, do you guys who compete MMA get paid for your fights?

can’t speak from personal experience, but the fights i’ve seen were semi-pro and it was much like pride fighting (ring, no cage). and yes they were paid, loser’s purse was atleast $500.

one thing though, these fights were in mexico due to sanctioning reasons. fighters were american, league was american, etc. just the venue had to be changed. this may be why things were the way they were.

It depends on the state. In ohio one cannot knee, kick or elbow to the face or head. In kentucky everything is legal. Just depends on the state athletic commission.

It depends on the athletic commission that over sees the fights. In the US each state has its own commission. Each commission can have its own set rules. At this point amateur MMA is still new and the rules can vary from state to state.

Amateur rules usually involve more pads (i.e.- shin pads and thinker gloves), shorter rounds, restricted striking (i.e.- no knees to the head at all, no head shots while on the ground, ect) and do not allow the fighters to have any pro fights. And most importantly, amateur fighters do not get paid.

Up until recently almost all MMA was “pro”, because there was no amateur system. So guys would be stepping in the ring for the first time, fighting as pro’s.

Like the other guys have said it depends on the sanctioning body. For example our rounds are only 2 minuts, no elbow strikes or knee strikes to the head, no kicking or knees on the ground, no choks in the first round. And none of the fighters can have been paid for any of their fights and compete as an amateur .

Ah right, so does anyone know what the rules are in the UK? I found am amateur promoter operating in North East England that listed rules similar to those you mention (no headshots on the ground, no elbows etc.), but do we have a standard set of rules over here or does it depend on the promoter?

In the UK there are no hard and fast answers. Depends on who is promoting it. A couple of groups are trying to get amateur MMA going, some have pads and restricted rules, others, the only difference between pro and amateur is whether you are being paid.

I’m almost positive it’s going to depend strictly on the promoter or sanctioning body. Most likely the promoter is operating under a larger governing body that has a license to hold fights. If you ask the promoter they should be able to point you in the right direction.

[quote]Makittack wrote:
At this point amateur MMA is still new and the rules can vary from state to state.

Amateur rules usually involve more pads (i.e.- shin pads and thinker gloves), shorter rounds, restricted striking (i.e.- no knees to the head at all, no head shots while on the ground, ect) and do not allow the fighters to have any pro fights. And most importantly, amateur fighters do not get paid.

Up until recently almost all MMA was “pro”, because there was no amateur system. So guys would be stepping in the ring for the first time, fighting as pro’s.
[/quote]

Amateur MMA has been around about as long as pro has. My first fight was in 99, and it was amateur.

As far as extra padding, in 5 amateur fights, I have never worn shin pads or thicker gloves. My one pro fight was Shooto B class in Guam, and that had thicker gloves than any of my amateur fights(Shooto gloves versus Everlast/Chuck Norris/Harbinger-type fingerless gloves). First ammy fight in FL - no head shots on the ground. Two ammy fights in IN - open hand to the head on the ground. Two ammy fights in VA - closed fist standing or ground, kick and knee permitted standing(basically same as UFC minus elbows).

The pay all depends too, I know a lot of amateur promotors that give a cut of ticket sales or will give you gas money.

With alot of today’s training facilities, and promotors there really is a lot of difference except an ammy fight doesn’t go on your pro record. Especially given a lot do pro/am shows.

Oh and money usually isn’t all that great, I have been offered fights in Boston where they pay like 100 bucks 200 or 300, the biggest show purse I’ve had is 2k, but that says more about my skill level I guess.

[quote]apbt55 wrote:
I have been offered fights in Boston where they pay like 100 bucks 200 or 300, [/quote]

that seems to be the going rate for most of the grassroots orgs. You also mentioned a 2K purse, 2K to show and 2K to win is the standard UFC first-fight contract.

For two of my amateur fights, I received gas money and hotel room. Made $100 on the Shooto fight(Superbrawl in Guam), but that’s it. Unfortunately, one of my amateur fights(FinkE’s in Hammond, IN) shows on my pro record, since the promoter supposedly paid some of the guys who were fighting there.

The FinkE’s fights were held once a month in a sports bar, as a way to get ring experience. I fought Brian Ebersole, who I later found out had fought pro a couple times prior to that fight.

Our promotion here in Mexic (Gracie Evolution of Combat) first time fighters are normally not paid, only basic costs covered and listed as semi-pro. The guys with a bit more experience get paid, but not a lot.

We just had our first 8 man tournament last week, and that went down really well. Looking to have more next year at different weights, this should allow us to increase the pot a bit.

The promotion even paying so little doesn’t really make any money, however it is a good advert for the gym.

At an event I was fighting in, in the UK (I wasn’t fighting MMA) in the amateur fights strikes to the head were not allowed. I doubt this is the norm though. There were some more subtle differences between Amt/ semi Pro and Pro but since I wasn’t fighting MMA I wasn’t paying too much attention to their rules.

Oh and in regards to pay as far as I know all fighters wether amt, pro or semi pro were paid according to how many tickets they sold.

Sorry didn’t see there was more replies to this thread.

So these amateur mma fighters, are they all just hoping to go pro? Or is there a real decent structure to it? How often do amateur fighters train, seeing as they have jobs to hold down?