T Nation

AM Workout: Surge & Power Drive

Every morning I do a little yoga, basic body weight exercises, some planches, rope climbs, and a mile run to get the blood flowing. I’m worried that this may have a catabolic effect since I’m doing so on an empty stomach and all and was curious If I should take my Surge before to counteract the initial catabolism or if taking it after would be sufficient.

Also right after that workout, I usually take Power Drive with my morning oatmeal and yogurt for a little CNS recovery from the previous day and a kick start. Thoughts on timing of the Power Drive and Surge?

P.S. I train every day besides some very needed rest days here and there, so recovery is KEY for me.

P.P.S. Sorry for this being long, and please dont bash me for doing yoga. >_<

[quote]JSopko wrote:
Every morning I do a little yoga, basic body weight exercises, some planches, rope climbs, and a mile run to get the blood flowing. I’m worried that this may have a catabolic effect since I’m doing so on an empty stomach and all and was curious If I should take my Surge before to counteract the initial catabolism or if taking it after would be sufficient.
Also right after that workout, I usually take Power Drive with my morning oatmeal and yogurt for a little CNS recovery from the previous day and a kick start. Thoughts on timing of the Power Drive and Surge?
P.S. I train every day besides some very needed rest days here and there, so recovery is KEY for me.
P.P.S. Sorry for this being long, and please dont bash me for doing yoga. >_<[/quote]

I would definitely suggest some Surge about 30 mins before your workout. (Or test it and see how you feel. I actually need something more solid in my stomach pre-workout and Surge can make me feel nauseous.)

The thing is, you are actually ALREADY in a catabolic state when you wake up before you start your workout.

I would say if you are just purely doing cardio and trying to really cut weight, then yes…first thing in the a.m. on an empty stomach will do the trick.

But since you are doing resistance work, definitely get some carbs and protein pre-workout. I’d also take the Power Drive before the workout as well.

p.s.-anyone that bashes you for doing yoga is an ignorant dickhead who has probably never tried it…so just politely ignore…or not politely.

Thanks for the advice, you think i should throw anything in post or just a good breakfast, maybe sprinkle some whey in my oatmeal or the like?

I haven’t received my first Surge shipment, but I have been drinking a protein shake about 1.5 hrs before my cardio workout first thing when I get up. I can’t say ‘morning’ because I work nights, so I typically get up around 4p to work out. I have found that I always get up around 2p or so for a bathroom run, so I just down a shake when I do and go back to bed until the alarm goes off. I have found that by doing that, I typically have more energy during the workout and don’t ‘bonk’ anymore.

anyone care to explain the verb “bonk”?

I mean in workout terms, or how he used it, not in bed.

Just eat some solid protein, or cottage cheese and fruit.

I find a hi gi Pre workout to negatively affect my performance and relaxes my nervous system.

I actually prefer meat eggs and coffee and find I have the greatest endurance after that. try it.

The body will make more atp from tg’s than carboydrate when it comes to endurance not strength activities.