AM Meal Timing

Recently started a new job that pretty much forces me to lift in the a.m. I have to be in the gym by 7 a.m. Given that lifting on an empty stomach is a bad thing, should I get up at 5:30 to eat carb/protien or would it suffice to drink some surge right before my workout? Thoughts, suggestions?

I think Berardi has written something about this before, like mixing Surge with a little Gatorade powder or something. That last interview with him may cover this. I think it was called ‘postworkout resurgence’.

I sometimes sip a half serving of Grow before a morning workout. Anything beats an empty stomach.

My schedule has me reaching the gym at 5:30. I wake up by 4:00, throw down my Tribex with plenty of water, and start the kettle for my green tea. Make the tea, wake the wife, eat a single bar or have 1 scoop of Grow at 4:30. Hit the road before 5:00. You do what you must.

4 sure the surge will be of great benefit over an empty stomach and may actually lead to some great gains/progression in the gym.

Another good option would be to first thing upon rising take in a quality shake like GROW. Then that will get settled in while you get ready and head to the gym. Then have the surge during your w/o and after.

Hope that helps,
Phill

Thanks for the input. On Monday I woke around 6, drank a scoop of grow and ate a few handfuls of whole wheat cereal. If I drink surge during the first half of the workout, do you think I can skip the cereal and just drink protien first thing?

dkirk

I’m doing my training in the AM too. However, I’m trying to cut weight. What I’ve found that works for me is this.

Take 1 scoop of Surge + 2g Creatine + Power Drive. Mix with 40 oz of water. Drink that about 30-60 minutes before the workout. Then immediately after I drink 2 scoops of surge. 30 minutes after I drink 2 fresh squeezed grapefruits and follow it up with 3 scoops of low carb grow + 1 TBL of Flax oil.

This equals about 1235/97/122/20

Then the rest of the day I eat little or no carbs. I’ve found this to help with my recovery while losing weight.

Plus you really feel energized.

What are your goals for the morning?

Hope that helps

Going with the surge over the cereal would probably be a little easier on the stomach that close to your w/o, so I would say yes.

Hope that helps.
Phill

Right now I’m in the middle of moving my bf from 15% to 10% using TDawg 2. Intuitively it makes sense to take Surge first thing. I like your suggestion but may modify the first meal after the 2 scoops of Surge after workout. Either that or wake up 2 hours before workout, drink Grow, go back to bed. I’m hoping once my work schedule firms up I’ll be able to work out at lunch most days.

I think you will like the Scoop of Surge before your workout. Depending on how big you are you may want 2 scoops before your workout. It will give you plenty of energy. Plus it will save you valuable time in the morning.

Otherwise you may have to wait 2-3 hours before your food digests.

walleye