Am I Wrong? Quickest Way To Get Big

Ok So Yesterday at work(I work Part Time at a Gym)I had a heated debate with one of the Trainers(been a trainer for about a month now)he’s typical trainer…likes to use alot of stability excersices(sp)and body weight excersices and core excersices…we were arguing about what would be the quickest way to get big…

My argument was that you had to eat ALOT maybe not 100% clean…but that the fastest way was to get big…then Cut down. He argued that It was better and quicker to get Big by doing the excercises he wanted me to do and I he could still keep his abs and get big(even thou he isnt). I argued with him that the best Excersices were gonna be compound excercises like Bench,Deadlifts and Squat. He wanted me to do Core exsercises.

So basically who’s right? who’s Wrong? I need some back up…because everything I was arguing was stuff I read on this website and I believe it 100%. Thanks

Just tell him prove it and you do your own thing, than he can make some sort of genetic execuse in a few years.
These arguments are unavoidable you have to have a who cares attitude, plus if you are big it is a little harder for someone to tell you how to acomplish something you already have.
Get what I mean?

Do you really have to ask people that are coming to this sight if they think its better to do One Legged twisting superman jerk offs on the Bosu ball or lots of eating and hitting the heavy compounds ?

Muscle growth is significantly predicated on the amount of tension on a given set of muscle fibers. By “amount of tension” I mean both in terms of time under tension and also the total load/force.

Any excercise preformed on an unstable surface, no matter how strong your core is, must sacrifice to a certain degree the load resulting in less tension and less growth.

To quote TC, “If you do most of your training on a balance board, a Swiss Ball, or a Bosu ball, you’ll have a tremendous core and a small, weak body that we’ll all laugh at.”

T-man core excercises include deadlifts, back squats, front squats and overhead squats (among others) and I would challenge anbody who claims that these shouldn’t be at the core of real core excercises.

Time to find a new trainer don’t you think?

I take it you just want a bunch of people to say how smart you are and how much better you are than everyone. Obviously with a line like “Everything I said is what I read off this site”, everyone’s going to agree with you. Makes me wonder why you bothered to post this at all

If you’re on drugs then having a cutting period and a bulk period for the year makes the most sense. If you’re not on drugs it probably makes more sense to stay lean throughout the year or go on bulk and cut phases that only last a few weeks each.

As for getting bigger bodyweight exercises are superior to barbell exercises in some instances. Weighted Dips will get you bigger than decline bench presses.

Weighted Pull-ups will get you bigger than Lat Pulldowns. Moving yourself around a bar will activate the CNS better than moving a bar around you. But other than those two moves there really aren’t any other ways to substitute barbell for gymnastics equipment.

Over half the personal trainers out there are somewhere on the intelligence level of ‘functionally retarded.’ The other day, there were two hot trainers in my gym and they were going all Coo Coo for CooaCoa Puffs over some guy using 60LB dumbells on an incline bench.

I’d do your own thing, because you know what you’re doing. Leave the bosu ball and crunches to Mr. Trainer.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
One Legged twisting superman jerk offs on the Bosu ball[/quote]

sounds like fun

Eat, squat, repeat.

There’s a quick way? Damn. I wish I had known…

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
If you’re on drugs then having a cutting period and a bulk period for the year makes the most sense. If you’re not on drugs it probably makes more sense to stay lean throughout the year or go on bulk and cut phases that only last a few weeks each.

[/quote]

What makes you say this?

I think it’s more effective for size and strength if you just keep bulking straight through for months on end. When your fat level is too high, spend a few weeks to get it back down (not ripped, just a little lower), then get back to bulking.

When you bulk for a long time, you can build up some bulking “momemntum”, for lack of a better word. You might not get much of any growth for a few weeks, then have a stretch where you grow like a weed for a month or two. You usually don’t reach that good growth period if you’re constantly cutting fat after a few weeks of heavy eating.

To borrow from PGA:

“Dave Tate spend thirty years building all his muscle, but it only took him a few months to get ripped.”

Stay at a higher body fat for a while, get big, get strong. Get to the point where you look better at 17-20% after growing than you did at 10% before, and you’ll know you’re on the right track.

deadlift, eat, squat, eat, bench, eat…aaaaand repeat…

Unless you are a genetic freak, getting “big” will take at least 4 years of consistent hard work and proper eating.

Go ask some of the big guys in the gym their ages. It won’t be a coincidence that most of them are in their late 20’s and early 30’s.

You see the occasional big guy in his early 20’s. But these are rare.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
If you’re on drugs then having a cutting period and a bulk period for the year makes the most sense. If you’re not on drugs it probably makes more sense to stay lean throughout the year or go on bulk and cut phases that only last a few weeks each. [/quote]

Spoken like someone who won’t ever have to worry about carrying enough muscle mass to be considered “big” in the first place.

I swear, I just don’t get why people who haven’t gained much size are the first to respond to questions like this. This is like Obbofil (or whatever his name is) writing a pseudo-article on gaining muscle mass when he only weighs 180lbs and admits he isn’t carrying that much muscle mass.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Unless you are a genetic freak, getting “big” will take at least 4 years of consistent hard work and proper eating.

Go ask some of the big guys in the gym their ages. It won’t be a coincidence that most of them are in their late 20’s and early 30’s.

You see the occasional big guy in his early 20’s. But these are rare.[/quote]

It is generally a given that if after 4-5 years, people aren’t extremely aware of your level of muscularity, you may not have very good genetics for this. Either that, or you are so clueless that you never ate enough to gain any weight in that time as you tried to “lose fat and gain muscle” the entire time.

I find it amazing what people consider “core exercises.” Your trainer is probably doing things on some sort of stability ball or balance board. I am not saying those things may not have their place, but think for a moment what the purpose of the “core” is. 1) It transfers energy between the upper and lower body. 2) It helps to stabilize the torso so the arms and legs have a stable “platform” to develop force. This is what the core does in the real world, so doesn’t it make sense to train the core in this way?

If you think about exercises that transfer energy between the upper and lower body than the squat, deadlift, and olympic lifts come to mind. These involve heavy weights and a lot of energy being transferred through the core. Can one squat, deadlift, or clean big weights with a flabby core? Of course not. Training with these types of exercises strengthens the core.

Stand up with a heavy bar across your back and the abs will automatically tense. Pick up a heavy bar off the ground and the lower back will automatically tense. Not only do these exercises target the core, but do so with enough weight to stimulate increases in strength and functionality.

How about stabilizing the core? Have you ever gotten sore in your midsection after doing dips or chinups? Why? Because the body naturally stabilizes the core so the prime movers are moving a solid mass of weight rather than weight that is flopping around. The core is automatically engaged when one does heavy, compound movements.

Heavy, compound, free weight movements are core training. Besides getting a stronger core, the rest of the body also grows. It sounds like you are on the right track and your trainer needs a little more training on basic anatomy.

Wow, I didn’t know bosu balls could cause so much size! I wonder how many exercises Ronnie Coleman and Jay Cutler does with them coz he’s so big!

Seriously, it’s easy to prove him wrong. Name as many successful bodybuilders who do compound movements as their central exercises and let that trainer name as many successful bodybuilders who rely a lot on stability exercises to grow. You’ll definitely win, and he can’t argue with results.

Aside from squats and deadlifts, clean and presses, clean and jerks, and snatches are great compound exercises that will give you a more functional core than any stability ball exercise.

Get a new trainer, preferably someone with more than a month of experience.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:

You see the occasional big guy in his early 20’s. But these are rare.

It is generally a given that if after 4-5 years, people aren’t extremely aware of your level of muscularity, you may not have very good genetics for this. Either that, or you are so clueless that you never ate enough to gain any weight in that time as you tried to “lose fat and gain muscle” the entire time.[/quote]

Agreed.

Anyone can get bigger. Hard work goes a long way.

From my standpoint, bulking up means eat anything and eat often.

But then again, my body strips of fat as easily as taking off a coat.

Someone who’s more disposed to putting on fat couldn’t eat the way I do.

It’s common sense and it’s the same idea that’s pounded into people’s heads again and again.

There is no ONE way everyone should eat/exercise. There are ways that work for YOU.

Race him man, if you’re already on your way of getting bigger and stronger challenge him, tell him to do his pusxercises and do you own hardcore stuff, and then after a couple of months tell him WHO’S HIS DADDY!!!

Wasnt there an article on here a while ago that cited a study stating that bosu balls and wobble boards had little to no carryover to performance in “real world” and athletic scenarios and that those who trained the simple compounds actually performed better?