Am I Wasting Protein?

Usually in the mornings when I make oatmeal, I throw in a protein shake to mix with the oatmeal while it heats up. However I have heard that heating up protein causes it to lose its form. Would it just be a better idea to drink the protein shake alongside the oatmeal or can I continue to use it while cooking the oatmeal?

Thanks

Get on with life.

You make oatmeal in the microwave along with protein in it?

I think in John Berardi book Precision Nutrition is to cook oatmeal and let stand for a minute before putting protein in. I would mix it over the sink, sometimes it can create a big mess. Again, I think I’ve read that there but that’s how I’ve done it.

I honestly thought this was another masturbation thread.

Heat it up or eat it cold; you won’t hurt it. Either way, eat more of it.

there was something on here awhile ago about heating protein and if that makes it use some amino acids or stuff and as far as i remember it doesnt really matter and it should not be a big deal, because in addition to using protein powder a person better be getting protein from other sources also,

but just to be on the safe side why dont you just drink it along with your oatmeal if you are that concerned; aka better safe than sorry, right?

There was an article about heating protein awhile back. I’m not going to look for it. The jist of was that heating protein doesn’t hurt the protein itself; you still get the macro count, however, it does kill off some of the other good stuff that’s usually matched with protein, don’t ask me what specifically.

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:

I think in John Berardi book Precision Nutrition is to cook oatmeal and let stand for a minute before putting protein in. I would mix it over the sink, sometimes it can create a big mess. Again, I think I’ve read that there but that’s how I’ve done it.[/quote]

X2, just put the protein in afterwards. Also, if you’re really that worried about heat, toss in some frozen blueberries before the protein.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:

I think in John Berardi book Precision Nutrition is to cook oatmeal and let stand for a minute before putting protein in. I would mix it over the sink, sometimes it can create a big mess. Again, I think I’ve read that there but that’s how I’ve done it.[/quote]

X2, just put the protein in afterwards. Also, if you’re really that worried about heat, toss in some frozen blueberries before the protein.[/quote]

x3

The heat should only break down the Secondary/Tertiary structure of the protein, which your body is going to do anyway to break it down into the individual aminos it needs. So I don’t want to say that it would actually be beneficial to do so, but structure breakdown either by heat or digestive enzymes shouldn’t make much of a difference. Though personally I think it tastes better when not heated.

I should’ve been more specific. I cook the oatmeal on a stove and instead of cooking it with just water, I use a shake.

[quote]nik133 wrote:
I should’ve been more specific. I cook the oatmeal on a stove and instead of cooking it with just water, I use a shake.[/quote]

Use water and add the protein after cooking.

If you’re using a high-quality protein like Metabolic Drive or Grow! Whey, cooking it will destroy some of the delicate microfractions which make these proteins superior.

Dude, dont sweat the small shit. Drink it…eat it…who cares…as long as you take it!

Typed “heat protein article” in the search function and got this:

"The Truth About Protein, Cooking, and Heat

“When I used to mix whey protein powder in my scalding oat bran, I’d think, ‘Am I destroying some of the benefits of this?’”

Like all of us iron addicts, Lowery was once worried about denaturing or otherwise messing up the protein powder. You’ve probably heard the same thing about cooking with protein powder or even tossing it into your already-cooked hot oatmeal. It “ruins the protein.”

Or does it?

Turns out that it doesn’t. In fact, you probably wouldn’t notice a lick of difference in your physique after a year of “cooking” your protein powder vs. just sticking it in the blender. But heat does affect it.

“Some of the peptides in whey denature at 158 to 176 degrees Fahrenheit,” says Lowery. “Peptides, like beta-lactoglobulin and alpha-lactalbumin, degrade in the heat.”

Now, although these peptides have some biological benefits such as immune function, you’re not really hurting the protein goodness. You’re getting the same amino acid profile, including all that yummy l-leucine, and that’s why, as a muscle-seeking gym rat, you’re consuming protein powder in the first place, right?

Now, maybe not getting the benefits of some of those peptides will affect you after several months to a couple years, but you’re probably not going to “cook” your protein powder all that often anyway.

So, you might lose a few of the side benefits of protein when you heat it, but on any observable level, you’re not going to compromise your ability to build muscle with all that protein you’re pounding away. So, keep sticking it into your oatmeal, pancake batter, and muffin recipes.

Just don’t tell anyone you make muffins. It might ruin your rep, tough guy."