Am I Training Correctly?

I just happened to see this thread, which has one of the foremost experts on this site addressing your question of lifting for fat loss:

What I never understand about internet “noobs” is that they realize they’re “noobs,” yet somehow come to the conclusion that they are nevertheless qualified to modify programs written by far more experienced people.

When I started lifting I just did what more experienced people said to do.

[quote]ESPguitarist1990 wrote:
maybe im just noob talking now[/quote]
Yep just pick one of the programs suggested to you and work the hell out of it. They are PROVEN.

-As long as you’re getting your protein in and eating fairly clean you will see noob gainz ie both fat loss and new muscle for quite a while

So did a try out of it today, did mondays workout and i really really liked it.

Only concern is that you squat and row on the same day and my knees couldnt stop shaking during the row…

Only concern is that you squat and row on the same day and my knees couldnt stop shaking during the row…[/quote]

Rest a few minutes before you start your next exercise. You’ll get used to the demands.

Only concern is that you squat and row on the same day and my knees couldnt stop shaking during the row…[/quote]

and yet…

-squat 5x5

-B1: Push Press
-B2: bent over row
-B3: lunges
[/quote]

Ya i saw that haha…I went way more intense on the madcow though

You realize you are supposed to start light and work up to your max in 4 weeks? (Then you set personal records each week for as many weeks as possible after that.)

[quote]craze9 wrote:
You realize you are supposed to start light and work up to your max in 4 weeks? (Then you set personal records each week for as many weeks as possible after that.) [/quote]

Just worry about the big 3 lifts going up, wether you do or dont perform on assitance work is not that important.

And yeah x3 on start light

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
Just worry about the big 3 lifts going up, wether you do or dont perform on assitance work is not that important.

And yeah x3 on start light[/quote]

But his primary goal is fat loss. This mentality is entirely counterproductive for fat loss goals.

These forums really gotta cool it lately with just recommending the same mode of training to everyone regardless of goal or experience. It’s getting tiresome wading through all the Madcow, SS, and 5/3/1 recommendations in literally every thread whether they have a strong man comp coming up, rugby season, or are trying to cure prostate cancer. It’s cool if you can hit your goal on ONE lift for a day and then be completely willing to check out and skip everything after, or do it half-heartedly, but this is just terrible advice for a new lifter.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
But his primary goal is fat loss. This mentality is entirely counterproductive for fat loss goals.

These forums really gotta cool it lately with just recommending the same mode of training to everyone regardless of goal or experience. It’s getting tiresome wading through all the Madcow, SS, and 5/3/1 recommendations in literally every thread whether they have a strong man comp coming up, rugby season, or are trying to cure prostate cancer. It’s cool if you can hit your goal on ONE lift for a day and then be completely willing to check out and skip everything after, or do it half-heartedly, but this is just terrible advice for a new lifter. [/quote]

Are you referring to starting light or not doing the assistance work?

In either case, I don’t see how it’s counterproductive for fat loss. You’re squatting, pressing and pulling 3 times / week, so it’s not just ONE lift per day. And there is built-in assistance in the program – situps, hypers, dips and curls and extensions on Fridays. What we reacted to was the idea of adding a bunch of additional exercises / volume.

As far as 5/3/1, Madcow, SS etc being recommended all the time, that’s because most of the people posing questions in these cases are beginners who need to develop a base of muscle and strength, and these are proven programs. A guy training for Strongman or an already-strong Rugby player tends to not come to internet forums for basic lifting advice.

People trying to cure prostate cancer will also benefit far more from gaining strength in the big barbell movements than doing high-rep bodybuilding work or fat loss complexes.

At this point, ill consider mysel noob. I spent the last 2 years not taking my training “seriously”. Id go in, just workout whatever. id bench, deadlift sometimes squat, focus on isolation movements the most and be obsessed with arms. My diet was meh, id follow something strict for a few days and then destroy it on the weekend. Now, i want to take it as serious as i can. I’m following the anabolic diet (been doing it for the last 2 weeks and feel fantastic) waiting on my HOT-ROX to come in and my MAG-10. If using the madcow will help me get to where i need to be, then yes, im all for it. Im gonna stick to madcow for mon, wednesday, friday, but will toss in complexes on tuesday and thursday, as well as fasted carido on those days before work.

[quote]craze9 wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

These forums really gotta cool it lately with just recommending the same mode of training to everyone regardless of goal or experience. It’s getting tiresome wading through all the Madcow, SS, and 5/3/1 recommendations in literally every thread whether they have a strong man comp coming up, rugby season, or are trying to cure prostate cancer. It’s cool if you can hit your goal on ONE lift for a day and then be completely willing to check out and skip everything after, or do it half-heartedly, but this is just terrible advice for a new lifter. [/quote]

Are you referring to starting light or not doing the assistance work?

In either case, I don’t see how it’s counterproductive for fat loss. You’re squatting, pressing and pulling 3 times / week, so it’s not just ONE lift per day. And there is built-in assistance in the program – situps, hypers, dips and curls and extensions on Fridays. What we reacted to was the idea of adding a bunch of additional exercises / volume.

As far as 5/3/1, Madcow, SS etc being recommended all the time, that’s because most of the people posing questions in these cases are beginners who need to develop a base of muscle and strength, and these are proven programs. A guy training for Strongman or an already-strong Rugby player tends to not come to internet forums for basic lifting advice.

People trying to cure prostate cancer will also benefit far more from gaining strength in the big barbell movements than doing high-rep bodybuilding work or fat loss complexes. [/quote]

Srs question OP: Are you trying to lose fat for health reasons? To be in a weight class for a sport? Or to have a good-looking physique?

Good looking physique. In all honesty, my gf of 4 years broke up with recently, so im initiating a “how do you like me now” plan. This is step 1.

Good looking physique. In all honesty, my gf of 4 years broke up with recently, so im initiating a “how do you like me now” plan. This is step 1.[/quote]
In that case, enjoy the process, and find a way to get hooked on reaching your own goals.

Oh i intend to, trust me. I just want like…a near perfect game plan to achieve this Which is why i want to bring up the intensity level in my workouts.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

Good looking physique. In all honesty, my gf of 4 years broke up with recently, so im initiating a “how do you like me now” plan. This is step 1.[/quote]
In that case, enjoy the process, and find a way to get hooked on reaching your own goals.[/quote]

On a side note, that isnt the only reason i want to get serious with lifting and building a good looking physique. I just want to stop wasting money on supplements and everything, and not get the results i want. Just wanna quit fucking around. But yes, my ultimate goal is to build a better physique, with and without a shirt on (bro)

[quote]LoRez wrote:

In that case, enjoy the process, and find a way to get hooked on reaching your own goals.[/quote]

This.

Why would you spend what’s going to ultimately become a very time consuming process as a means of, I guess, revenge? What are you going to do if she doesn’t give 2 shits about “plan”?

Instead of worrying about having a “near perfect plan,” why not start with trying to nail down the 90% of it that most people (looks at self) manage to screw up: lifting with intensity on a reasonable program, eating enough and sensible foods, sleeping enough.