Am I Training Correctly?

So summer coming up, time to lean out. leggo.

This is what im currently doing. Iv combined things i have read on here and just “Went with it”.

This was my monday;

-5 min warm up on treadmill
-Bench press 5x5 (gradually increasing weight)

-A1:incline DB
-A2:incline flys
-A3: the press where you squeeze a plate with your hands and do a bench like motion
3x10

-squat 5x5

-B1: Push Press
-B2: bent over row
-B3: lunges

• some tricep/bicep work to finish and then 10 minutes of incline treadmill walking.

This is basically how i structure my workouts. 2 big movements a day with circuit training that hits a certain group, and circuit training for whole body, finished my arms.

Is this wrong? Bad way to train? counter productive? just wanna get some insight on what im doing…

[quote]ESPguitarist1990 wrote:
So summer coming up, time to lean out. leggo.

This is what im currently doing. Iv combined things i have read on here and just “Went with it”.

This was my monday;

-5 min warm up on treadmill
-Bench press 5x5 (gradually increasing weight)

-A1:incline DB
-A2:incline flys
-A3: the press where you squeeze a plate with your hands and do a bench like motion
3x10

-squat 5x5

-B1: Push Press
-B2: bent over row
-B3: lunges

• some tricep/bicep work to finish and then 10 minutes of incline treadmill walking.

This is basically how i structure my workouts. 2 big movements a day with circuit training that hits a certain group, and circuit training for whole body, finished my arms.

Is this wrong? Bad way to train? counter productive? just wanna get some insight on what im doing…[/quote]

Is the above what you do every time you train? I don’t see this program taking you past beginner status because it seems to have some serious gaps. Chest heavy, and only one exercise for shoulders and back.

Why not find a program that’s been tried, tested and proven to be effective? Is your goal bodybuilding, powerlifting to just be stronger and look better?

Thats my monday usually. then ill do a similar thing for back day (back focused + circuit + big lifts), then wednesday shoulder and etc etc.

My biggest problem has been programming. I would love to find a good program and just follow it to a T. i have used this website, but there are so many it just confuses me.

My main goal is to look better so basically gain muscle, burn fat.

Thats my monday usually. then ill do a similar thing for back day (back focused + circuit + big lifts), then wednesday shoulder and etc etc.

My biggest problem has been programming. I would love to find a good program and just follow it to a T. i have used this website, but there are so many it just confuses me.

My main goal is to look better so basically gain muscle, burn fat.[/quote]

Pick one and stick to it. Training consistently and eating sensibly will get you results.

Yes, there are a lot of programs. Just pick one. Do a search for “Do this Routine Kingofbeef” and do that one. Or do Madcow 5x5. Just pick something.

[quote]MinusTheColon wrote:
Yes, there are a lot of programs. Just pick one. Do a search for “Do this Routine Kingofbeef” and do that one. Or do Madcow 5x5. Just pick something.[/quote]

x2 google the madcow spreadsheet -just plug in your numbers and will tell you exactly what to do each workout

i was reading John Romaniello’ article, and he stated that if your primary girl is fat loss then your workout should be catered to that strictly (circtuis, minimal rest, etc) something like madcows or “do this instead” doesnt really seem like much of a fat loss program…

i know fat loss has to mostly do with your diet, but im sure a program designed for fat loss also helps…any of those out there? (full body workouts at that if possible_

A program designed for fat loss will help you burn additional calories, but in general if your goal is to build/maintain muscle and strength it is recommended to focus on lifting for these criteria, and use diet / cardio to lose the fat, rather than to base your resistance training on “fat loss,” despite what John Romaniello says.

So Madcow 5x5 is a fine choice, in that it’s a well-designed program that will get you stronger, and far superior to what you first posted. You’d then gradually decrease bodyfat via diet and optional cardio.

Or you can do this:

Or try the Velocity Diet, with the routine included there.

i was reading John Romaniello’ article, and he stated that if your primary girl is fat loss then your workout should be catered to that strictly (circtuis, minimal rest, etc) something like madcows or “do this instead” doesnt really seem like much of a fat loss program…

i know fat loss has to mostly do with your diet, but im sure a program designed for fat loss also helps…any of those out there? (full body workouts at that if possible_[/quote]

Is your primary goal fat loss?

i know fat loss has to mostly do with your diet, but im sure a program designed for fat loss also helps…any of those out there? (full body workouts at that if possible_[/quote]

If you are going to follow John Romaniello’s advice on the matter, why not look up his routines and use those? Or shoot him an e-mail and ask?

Pitting multiple philosophies against each other as a third party is just going to confuse you and frustrate everyone involved. Either you trust John enough to just follow his advice and not need the validation of internet strangers or you trust internet strangers enough to not need their advice to agree with John’s.

Yup, my primary goal is fat loss.

Iv actually emailed John Romaniello a few times, but havent heard back from him yet…

Valid points all made, I looked into his “superhero workout” and i just might drop $40 on that.

I’m looking at the madcow and i have a few questions;

1. on the given day, like monday, he has 3 exercises to do. Can i toss a few more in after? or just stick to the script.
  2. i hate rest days. i usually just use sunday as one. can i do complexes or some type of work on the days he doesnt include?
  3. is cardio (wether it be fasted or post workout) permitted on lift days for this?
  1. Yes, so long as it doesn’t interfere with progress on the main lifts.
  2. Yes, so long as it doesn’t interfere with progress on the main lifts.
  3. Yes, so long as it doesn’t interfere with progress on the main lifts.

Ok so monday he calls for squat, bench, row. Id like to get more in, what lifts could i throw in? (noob question, dont hate). Would this be ok?

1. squat
  2. bench
  3. row
  4. incline DB
  5. Incline fly
  6. arms
  7. cardio.

Then just adjust accordingly for the other days (more back isolation, shoulder isolation)

I just wanna set a fucking game plan, and follow it to a T.

I feel like you’re saying 2 different things. You want a gameplan and to follow it to a T, but when presented with a gameplan, you want to modify it.

If you want to engage in modification (which is fine), experiment. Try some stuff, see what happens. If progress does not occur, try some different stuff.

The more I train, the harder it is I find to train UNsuccessfully. Pretty much everything works, as long as I bust my ass. I think you’ll discover the same.

do this then…

You said your primary goal is fat loss, yet you want to add a bunch of additional exercises and volume to Madcow? It’s a bad idea, for the reason Yogi states – it will likely affect your progress on the big lifts, especially when you’re in a caloric deficit for the purpose of losing fat. It’s not going to build more muscle.

The advantage of a program like Madcow is that you stand a good chance of actually gaining strength, even while losing fat, because of the frequency of the big lifts and modulating volume. If you want to do Madcow, google “Madcow wacky hq” and click the first link. Read everything on that page.

If you don’t want to do Madcow, choose another program. Whatever you do, you’d be well-advised to follow it to the letter and not add a bunch of shit.

I was just under the impression that you have to hit every muscle group/perfrom rapid quick movements/circtuis for fat loss.

Didnt really think or even know that a program like madcows would give me the gains i wanted everywhere, plus the fat loss.

what im kinda mostly worried about is “lack of training” parts that arent in the madcow program (arms, delts, etc) and them being under developed…maybe im just noob talking now

what im kinda mostly worried about is “lack of training” parts that arent in the madcow program (arms, delts, etc) and them being under developed…maybe im just noob talking now[/quote]

Yes, you are. Sorry. Presses, rows and chin ups hit the arms and delts more than sufficiently if you’re a beginner.