Am I Strong Enough

yeah man, you’re definitely ready!

The whole idea behind getting a decent strength base first is just to get noobs training properly and not just doing set after set of curls.

You seem to know what you’re doing so have at it.

Thanks for the feedback! Any ideas on what program to use? I don’t know very much about bodybuilding programing

[quote]TommyGoss wrote:
I might only do it until December, so that I have six months to do 5/3/1 before the competition at school[/quote]

Up to you, brother. 5/3/1 works fine for bodybuilding, by the way. Just plan your assistance work accordingly.

Thanks, but yeah I am not too well versed with Bodybuilding programming. Any suggestions on what programs I could stick to?

well off the top of my head you could do 5/3/1 still and set it up something like:

Bench Day

Bench 5/3/1
Bench Assistance (Boring But Big)
Dumbell Row superset wtih Incline Dumbell Press
Rear Delt Fly superset with Incline Fly
Arm stuff

Squat Day

Squat 5/3/1
Squat Assistance (Boring But Big)
Hamstring Curls
Romanian Deadlift
Calves/Abs

Military Press Day

MP 5/3/1
MP assistance (Boring But Big)
Pulldowns superset with Laterals
Straight Arm Pulldowns superset with Shrugs
Arm Stuff

Deadlift Day

Deadlift 5/3/1
Front Squat
Step Ups/Lunges/Something Else of a Simliar Ilk
Hamstring Curls
Calves/Abs

At this stage in your development I think that’d be a fine way to train. You’re still doing enough of the big lifts to get your numbers up, but the assistance work is designed to give you curves in all the right places.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]TommyGoss wrote:
I might only do it until December, so that I have six months to do 5/3/1 before the competition at school[/quote]

Up to you, brother. 5/3/1 works fine for bodybuilding, by the way. Just plan your assistance work accordingly.[/quote]

Does 5/3/1 really work for bodybuilding? I thought it was more of a PL template?

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]TommyGoss wrote:

Up to you, brother. 5/3/1 works fine for bodybuilding, by the way. Just plan your assistance work accordingly.[/quote]

Does 5/3/1 really work for bodybuilding? I thought it was more of a PL template?[/quote]

It’s really just a method of progression on the 4 main barbell lifts. You can do anything else you like as long as you keep to the weekly progression on those lifts, so you could add all manner of bodybuilding stuff if you were so inclined.

When you think about it, lots of bodybuilders start their workout with a heavier compound exercise for lower reps, followed by high rep pump stuff afterwards. 5/3/1 just gives you a system for progression on the big lift.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]TommyGoss wrote:

Does 5/3/1 really work for bodybuilding? I thought it was more of a PL template?[/quote]

The issue is, the TC said his goal was to get bigger and more aesthetic, and then equated that this means he needs a “bodybuilding routine”. Really, he needs a routine that will get him bigger and prettier, and 5/3/1 can do this, as can a lot of other programs (Sheiko, Westside, Cube, Juggernaut, etc).

We use terms that have very specific meanings like “bodybuilding” and “powerlifting” and apply them to very general goals, and it causes the meaning to be lost. A “powerlifting program” isn’t a program where one gets stronger at the big 3, it’s a program where, for one day, one is able to put up their maximal poundages on all 3 lifts. A bodybuilding program isn’t a program where one gets bigger, but a program where, for one day, one is able to look exactly how they need to look for a competition. Everything else is simply off season work that is dedicated toward certain training goals/blocks. You can tailor 5/3/1 for powerlifting, or for bodybuilding, or for just getting bigger and stronger, or faster, of better conditioned, or whatever you need it to be.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]TommyGoss wrote:

The issue is, the TC said his goal was to get bigger and more aesthetic, and then equated that this means he needs a “bodybuilding routine”. Really, he needs a routine that will get him bigger and prettier, and 5/3/1 can do this, as can a lot of other programs (Sheiko, Westside, Cube, Juggernaut, etc).

We use terms that have very specific meanings like “bodybuilding” and “powerlifting” and apply them to very general goals, and it causes the meaning to be lost. A “powerlifting program” isn’t a program where one gets stronger at the big 3, it’s a program where, for one day, one is able to put up their maximal poundages on all 3 lifts. A bodybuilding program isn’t a program where one gets bigger, but a program where, for one day, one is able to look exactly how they need to look for a competition. Everything else is simply off season work that is dedicated toward certain training goals/blocks. You can tailor 5/3/1 for powerlifting, or for bodybuilding, or for just getting bigger and stronger, or faster,
of better conditioned, or whatever you need it to be.
[/quote]

Fair enough. I would wager that BB programs have produced more aesthetic physiques than PL programs. Why recommend a program based on PLing rather than a bb program?

As I recall you trained like a bro for quite some time and you’re one of the most aesthetic powerlifters on this site. No homo broski!

Fair enough. I would wager that BB programs have produced more aesthetic physiques than PL programs. Why recommend a program based on PLing rather than a bb program?

As I recall you trained like a bro for quite some time and you’re one of the most aesthetic powerlifters on this site. No homo broski! [/quote]

You may have me confused for someone else.

As for your first question, I feel as though I did not do a good enough job making my point.

You did make that clear enough, but people see/read what they want to see/read. You can’t blame them though… people generally aren’t very smart, and every “guru” on this site has an agenda of his own.

A bodybuilding-“emphasis” program allows you to cast a better illusion on stage under the lights when dehydrated and carb loaded on game day - using the mass you’ve already built in the offseason - and standing next to others in a similar height/weight range.

a PL peaking program lets you SHOW the strength you’ve already built in the offseason by letting you peak your maximal strength in the big 3 on game day.

as far as how you set up your offseason work, you’ve got options :slight_smile:

As I recall you trained like a bro for quite some time and you’re one of the most aesthetic powerlifters on this site. No homo broski! [/quote]

As for your first question, I feel as though I did not do a good enough job making my point.[/quote]

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]TommyGoss wrote:

We use terms that have very specific meanings like “bodybuilding” and “powerlifting” and apply them to very general goals, and it causes the meaning to be lost. A “powerlifting program” isn’t a program where one gets stronger at the big 3, it’s a program where, for one day, one is able to put up their maximal poundages on all 3 lifts. A bodybuilding program isn’t a program where one gets bigger, but a program where, for one day, one is able to look exactly how they need to look for a competition. Everything else is simply off season work that is dedicated toward certain training goals/blocks. You can tailor 5/3/1 for powerlifting, or for bodybuilding, or for just getting bigger and stronger, or faster,
[/quote]

Fair enough. I would wager that BB programs have produced more aesthetic physiques than PL programs. Why recommend a program based on PLing rather than a bb program? [/quote]

it’s not a powerlifting program, nor is it a bodybuilding program. It’s just a method of progression on 4 lifts. Literally every single other variable is yours to manipulate, so you can use it for any goal you like.

[quote]Yogi wrote:
well off the top of my head you could do 5/3/1 still and set it up something like:

Bench Day

Bench 5/3/1
Arm stuff

Squat Day

Squat 5/3/1
Hamstring Curls
Romanian Deadlift
Calves/Abs

Military Press Day

MP 5/3/1
Arm Stuff

Deadlift Day

Deadlift 5/3/1
Front Squat
Hamstring Curls
Calves/Abs

At this stage in your development I think that’d be a fine way to train. You’re still doing enough of the big lifts to get your numbers up, but the assistance work is designed to give you curves in all the right places.
[/quote]

This is awesome, even for non-beginners needing extra upper-body muscle/bulk to bring up stalled lifts.

As for your first question, I feel as though I did not do a good enough job making my point.[/quote]

I just might.

[quote]jeremielemauvais wrote:
You did make that clear enough, but people see/read what they want to see/read. You can’t blame them though… people generally aren’t very smart, and every “guru” on this site has an agenda of his own.

A bodybuilding-“emphasis” program allows you to cast a better illusion on stage under the lights when dehydrated and carb loaded on game day - using the mass you’ve already built in the offseason - and standing next to others in a similar height/weight range.

a PL peaking program lets you SHOW the strength you’ve already built in the offseason by letting you peak your maximal strength in the big 3 on game day.

as far as how you set up your offseason work, you’ve got options :slight_smile:

[/quote]

I have no agenda at all. When someone recommends a program designed by a washed up PLer for bbing it raises some red flags.

Glad it works for you, would you mind posting some pictures of your stage ready bb/PLing physique?

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]TommyGoss wrote:

[/quote]

Fair enough. I would wager that BB programs have produced more aesthetic physiques than PL programs. Why recommend a program based on PLing rather than a bb program? [/quote]

it’s not a powerlifting program, nor is it a bodybuilding program. It’s just a method of progression on 4 lifts. Literally every single other variable is yours to manipulate, so you can use it for any goal you like.[/quote]

Thanks for the explanation wise bear!

I didn’t say YOU have an agenda lol. You’re clearly not in any way, shape or form a “guru”, no offence.

Now, READ what t3w wrote again and try to understand what he’s saying before you post again.

I have no agenda at all. When someone recommends a program designed by a washed up PLer for bbing it raises some red flags.
[/quote]

Thanks for the explanation wise bear![/quote]

my pleasure, young captain

[quote]grappling_hook wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

Bench Day

Bench 5/3/1
Arm stuff

Squat Day

Squat 5/3/1
Hamstring Curls
Romanian Deadlift
Calves/Abs

Military Press Day

MP 5/3/1
Arm Stuff

Deadlift Day

Deadlift 5/3/1
Front Squat
Hamstring Curls
Calves/Abs

[/quote]

This is awesome, even for non-beginners needing extra upper-body muscle/bulk to bring up stalled lifts.[/quote]

thanks man, don’t think the OP’s even read it though…

…sniff, I tried so hard, sniff…