Am I Still a Man?

I apologize for such a dramatic title to this post, but the members of T-Nation have been instrumental in persuading me to have my blood work performed and I received my results today.

Firstly, I am a 44 year-old male who has recently began training for the first time in years. The same day as my blood work, I had my doctor calculate my body fat percentage. The numbers are as follows:

Height: 6’4"
Weight: 206lbs

Total Body Fat: 22.1%
Body Mass Index: 25

Triglycerides: 399
PSA: 2.4

Total Testosterone: 322
Free Testosterone: 67.2

I am very, very concerned about my testosterone numbers. It “appears” that not only am I not producing testosterone at an average rate, but little of what I do create performs its appropriate function. Am I viewing this in the right way?

Actually, from my research, these numbers are consistent with my lack of significant gains in the gym, lethargy, irritability, and low sex drive.

The day after my test, I began taking Alpha Male and REZ-V and I hope when I retake the test in 2 weeks that a change may be observed.

Are my numbers that bad? Is there hope for me without going the HRT route?

I would really appreciate your thoughts.

I’m wondering how you got test numbers. I just had blood work done, and I don’t see any numbers for test.

That aside, what you should be very, very concerned about is your triglycerides number. 399! crap! I’m 38 and the reference range on my printout says <150. Even accounting for the fact that you have a few years on me, you’re looking at double the safe range.

Ouch.

Well, look at it this way, women can pack on quite a bit of mass too!

Seriously though, after you get your results back, post supplementation, if they still suck ass and it wasn’t just some testing issue, get yourself to a doctor that deals with HRT/TRT.

I’m pretty sure this entire forum is full of people talking about the issue, so you can’t miss it…

Yeah, triglycerides ARE way high! Mine is around the same and doc has me on Tricor! My test levels were also around there, perhaps a little lower and now on Androgel 100mg ED. feeling much better in all respects ;).

I’m not saying HRT is for everyone, but at 45 with grown kids, it suits me fine.
AND YES, YOU STILL ARE A MAN!
Be healthy and lift heavy,
Timhlbrk

Yes, I know my Triglycerides are a concern, but I know how to lower those.

As for how I received individual test values, I asked for them specifically.

What was the reference range for your free T test? Your total T number can vary quite a bit from test to test so I wouldn’t put too much stock in just one test listing that number.

And, a lot of whether to go on HRT really depends on how you feel and whether you’re symptomatic. For instance, my first total T test was 361 ng/dl. I felt fine, and had none of the low T symptoms, but given that I was 28 at the time, I totally freaked out.

I went back and got it tested again, and also got free T tested. Total T came back at 430 ng/dl and my free T was just fine.

You can loose some fat and gain some lean mass. HRT can really help with that.

Your free test seems really high. Please recheck your lab report.

Your total T is lowish. Not a dead indicator for HRT by itself, but your other conditions do suggest that HRT might be good for you.

Was your estrogen level checked? BMI may be driving T → E, higher E increases SHMB which binds T and lowers free T. If some syndrome X or metabolic syndrome is at play, your fasting blood sugars would be up. Have some testing done for those issues as well.

My triglycerides were 109 and HRT reduced that to 47. So you might get something like that yourself. My total cholesterol went from the 270’s to 206.

Please be open minded about HRT, it can really be of great benefit. There are many here that are very positive on HRT. We have some folks here that are needing HRT in their 20’s and 30’s as well. If you need it, there is no reason not avoid getting some help. You will not be alone.

If you do HRT, the PSA needs to be followed up with a DRE. Note that higher testosterone levels can create prostate problems.

HRT can be less expensive than supplements, but the lab work can be costly. When HRT is needed, supplements alone will typically not do the job.

“Lowering cholesterol and triglycerides”

Note that statin drugs can mess up hormones for men and women. Sometimes that alone will cause a loss of libido, as well as making ones brain fuzzy.

Some doctors advocate that climbing cholesterol levels are a compensation or result of diminished hormones, and use HRT specifically to reduce cholesterol levels. This has been shown also to work with folks who have high genetic/familial cholesterol levels.

For me, the TRT means that I will not have to do statin drugs for my cholesterol levels and that seems like a very good thing. Testosterone is natural and that means no drug side effects.

Thank you everyone for your opinions. Another reason my Triglycerides do not concern me greatly is that I am a vegetarian.

My HDL and LDL are fine so I am not concerned that I have any type of cardiovascular disease.

I am hoping that Alpha Male and Rez-v will make a difference. My aversion to HRT is due to fertility issues.

No. You are no longer a man. In the future please post in the T-Vixen Sorority.

Seriously, how do you feel? You are at the low end of the normal range, but do you have symptoms of low test? The low end of normal is still normal for a lot of folks.

[quote]Easter Lizard wrote:

As for how I received individual test values, I asked for them specifically. [/quote]

If you know how to lower them, then why allow them to be where they are. Those are dangerous-DANGEROUS- try numbers. And seeing as you seem to not be all that concerned about heart disease and diabetes, let me tell you that the same factors in your diet that are leading to DANGEROUSLY high try numbers may have a direct effect on your test numbers.

Did I state it with enough emphasis? I would be MUCH more concerned with those try numbers than anything else you popped on the screen.

Another reason my Triglycerides do not concern me greatly is that I am a vegetarian.
[/quote]

I’m not sure I understand what being a vegetarian has to do with you not being concerned about high triglycerides. Can you please elaborate?

Thank you everyone for your opinions. Another reason my Triglycerides do not concern me greatly is that I am a vegetarian.

My HDL and LDL are fine so I am not concerned that I have any type of cardiovascular disease.

I am hoping that Alpha Male and Rez-v will make a difference. My aversion to HRT is due to fertility issues.[/quote]

If your cholesterol levels are low, that could be part of the problem. If so, I would expect to find DHEA or DHEAs low as well pregnenolone.

Would you be adverse to trying some fish oils to get EPA and HDA essential fatty acids? Flax seed oil might not be good enough. How are you able to get enough B12 without meat? I have often wondered about that issue. There could be a dietary component your hormone levels… but again, you are not alone in your age group with this problem.

If you take testosterone by itself, your fertility does become an issue. The hormone HCG is almost exactly the same as LH and it can be used to keep the testicles working.

If the supplements work or you do TRT+HCG, then to get your lean mass back up, you will need the weight training. But start thinking about how you will satisfy the protein demands of building muscle. Perhaps you can post a new thread asking if there are any vegetarians on this site who might be able to provide some solid dietary advice for training.

[quote]burt128 wrote:
What was the reference range for your free T test? Your total T number can vary quite a bit from test to test so I wouldn’t put too much stock in just one test listing that number.

And, a lot of whether to go on HRT really depends on how you feel and whether you’re symptomatic. For instance, my first total T test was 361 ng/dl. I felt fine, and had none of the low T symptoms, but given that I was 28 at the time, I totally freaked out. [/quote]

Burt128, thank you for your response. I am exhibiting the classic symptoms of low testosterone which prompted my doctor to order the test. I have low motivation, inability to concentrate, lethargy, low sex drive, etc.

I went back and got it tested again, and also got free T tested. Total T came back at 430 ng/dl and my free T was just fine.

[quote]burt128 wrote:

And, a lot of whether to go on HRT really depends on how you feel and whether you’re symptomatic. For instance, my first total T test was 361 ng/dl. I felt fine, and had none of the low T symptoms, but given that I was 28 at the time, I totally freaked out.

I went back and got it tested again, and also got free T tested. Total T came back at 430 ng/dl and my free T was just fine. [/quote]

Burt, the reference range for my Free Testosterone was 50?210 picograms per milliliter (pg/mL). I scored a 67.2.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
Easter Lizard wrote:

If you know how to lower them, then why allow them to be where they are. Those are dangerous-DANGEROUS- try numbers. And seeing as you seem to not be all that concerned about heart disease and diabetes, let me tell you that the same factors in your diet that are leading to DANGEROUSLY high try numbers may have a direct effect on your test numbers.

Did I state it with enough emphasis? I would be MUCH more concerned with those try numbers than anything else you popped on the screen.[/quote]

I really do appreciate your concern. I only learned today about my high triglycerides, so this isn’t an issue that I have been ignoring. My doctor has counseled me on what areas of my diet that need to improve and he stated that tryglycerides, as opposed to cholesterol, react quickly to dietary changes.

My goal is to report back within one month with Tri values that are under 150.

[quote]burt128 wrote:
Easter Lizard wrote:
Another reason my Triglycerides do not concern me greatly is that I am a vegetarian.

I’m not sure I understand what being a vegetarian has to do with you not being concerned about high triglycerides. Can you please elaborate?

[/quote]

The reason I am not in a panic over my triglycerides is that my cholesterol is in very good shape. Normally, high triglycerides go hand in hand with lipid values that are out of whack, but not in this case.

The good cholesterol is due to my vegetarian lifestyle. My doctor has pointed out the area of my diet which is contributing to high tryglycerides and I am already making the change. I promise to report back with my updated blood test in one month.

so, if your test is ok, did you get a diagnosis? I have all the same symptoms, except for low sex drive, and it was diagnosed as low thyroid.

sasquatch wrote:
Easter Lizard wrote:

Did I state it with enough emphasis? I would be MUCH more concerned with those try numbers than anything else you popped on the screen.

I really do appreciate your concern. I only learned today about my high triglycerides, so this isn’t an issue that I have been ignoring. My doctor has counseled me on what areas of my diet that need to improve and he stated that tryglycerides, as opposed to cholesterol, react quickly to dietary changes.

My goal is to report back within one month with Tri values that are under 150.[/quote]

Best of luck. I’m not a Dr., but have been tested and understand those values. Yes, you can get a handle on try’s fairly quickly. Cutting back on processed foods is probably the quickest.

You may not want to hear this, but don’t be shocked if you find out your avoidance of dead critters is contributing in a not so small way to your test levels. I’m not even going to get into the brainwashing we’ve been treated to for 40 years blaming meaty manfood for heart disease, cancer, beri beri, bubonic plague, malaria, high gas prices, the NHL lockout, the 911 attacks, Detroit’s murder rate, and Racheal Ray. I don’t mean this as a jab per se, but I know the triglyceride argument is coming next.

–Tiribulus->