T Nation

Am I Overtraining?

I know overtraining is thrown around a good bit, and it’s usually a term that newbies throw around when they don’t understand that it’s not just “frequency” that causes this problem, but I wanted to be sure.

I was just recently married, and moved into a house a good ways from the one I used to live in. I had to find a new gym, and joined up with The Rush 24/7. It’s a decent gym, and not crowed at all when I go in the mornings, and got a decent deal on it.

I’m following some of the Chad Waterbury programs, and have been for about 4 or 5 weeks been on the strength focused mesocycle, about to change.

The Rush also has a T/Th workout class in the morning that is a “sports fitness” class that involves a lot of HIIT type exercises, which I consider my cardio. My problem is that the wife picked up NROL:FW and he specifically addresses these types of classes, saying that since they can last around 50 minutes, this is usually more hurtful than helpful.

Any advice from the all knowing T-Nation masses?

Thanks for the help!

What does the Waterbury program say about cardio?
If you follow the program exactly and make sure you are getting adequate nutrition and sleep, I’m sure Chad has it set up so you won’t overtrain.
So my advice would be to match up whatever Waterbury says about cardio during the program and compare that to the HIIT you are currently doing. Best of luck.

A HITT session that last 50 minutes is not true HIIT. :slight_smile: Intense steady-state cardio for 50 minutes is fine, and shouldn’t lead to over training at all.

The biggest factor would be your diet and the amount of sleep you get. If you aren’t eating enough (and eating the right foods), and you aren’t getting enough sleep, then your body won’t be able to adequately recover.

The CW program says “light cardio” on T-Th.

I call the class HIIT because it’s like, run a few laps, do 10 pushups, do some lunges, sprint a lap, situps, then rest for a bit. Then we may go do some suicides in the b-ball court, and then rest for a bit…just stuff like that.

And yeah, I know I don’t get enough sleep, but it’s just not realistic. To get 8 hours of sleep, I would have to go to bed at 8:30 pm. I just can’t do that. I have too much going on in my life right now to go to sleep right after dinner.

I usually average 5-6 hours of sleep a night.

I believe I have my diet in order, that’s not my problem.

My first through was ‘no, you’re not overtraining, you’re just sore’.

Then I thought ‘well, the cardio is a bit heavier than is recommended… but still probably not overdoing it. Probably not overtraining’.

Then I saw that you only get 6 hours of sleep a night.

So here are some symptoms of overtraining

1. lack of progress
  2. depression
  3. irritability
  4. inability to sleep
  5. loss of appetite
  6. lowered libido

If multiple symptoms apply to you, you could be overtraining. Either drop some training, eat more, or get more/better sleep (or take z-12; haven’t tried it, but hear wonderful things).

Lack of progress is always a weird one for me.

I feel like I haven’t consistently worked out long enough to say “yes” or “no” here, and I do feel like I’m gaining a little size, but nothing explosive (I gained 30 lbs in 2 weeks!!!)…I realize that’s not possible, but just an example.

My sex drive has gone down a bit, but I just figured that was because I was tired. It’s fine during the day, but when I finally hit the pillow, it’s not the first thing on my mind.

I’m always eating, so that’s not a problem, and it’s not an “inability” to sleep, just that I have too much to do at home to go to bed that early.

I don’t want to try and label myself as a “hard gainer”, but I definitely don’t balloon up just by looking at weights like some of the people I know.

I’m going to stick to at least 3 or 4 CW programs (all of these are about 4 weeks) before I really put an answer on if I can gain weight constantly or not.

Pretty much everything serious in body comp change is personal troubleshooting. Do something consistently, and measure you’re weight/ BF%. If the results are favorable, keep doing it. If not… try something else.

How long have you been lifting?

I’ve been lifting off and on for several years, but nothing consistent. I’d say I’ve been lifting pretty regularly for 3 or 4 months now

Not to take this topic away from the O.P. But if I’m doing Basketball, Football, Training 3x, and Taekwondo…is that overtraining? If i still get 10-12+ hours of sleep and a very healthy diet. Is it overtraining?

[quote]cgsaunde wrote:
I’ve been lifting off and on for several years, but nothing consistent. I’d say I’ve been lifting pretty regularly for 3 or 4 months now [/quote]

I wouldn’t worry about overtraining then. More advanced trainnees lift more, and get overtrained faster. Beginners can squat 3x/week.

Do the CW program consistently, eat a lot, and you should make progress.