Am I Overthinking My Nutrition?

So, basically, I’ve been struggling with my weight for a long time. I’m not particularly fat (18%), but I just can’t seem to lose weight, and this is why:

You know how they say that breakfast is the most importat meal for protein synthesis? But that you must also take care of your peri-workout meals? Add to that dinner and luch, and there you go. Oh, wait! You shouldn’t go to sleep with your stomach empty, or you’ll lose your gains! So, yeah, that’s my problem. Every meal seems to be the important one, so I, or anyone for that matter, can’t afford to miss or skip any of them.

What to do? Take in consideration that I’m pretty big as it is, and I’m tall on top of that (6’ 4’'). Should I keep training as I always do and stick to, let’s say, 2.2k calories and ignore the “meal importance” thingy?

Thanks in advance and welcome me to the forums!

[quote]Klowdz wrote:
So, basically, I’ve been struggling with my weight for a long time. I’m not particularly fat (18%), but I just can’t seem to lose weight, and this is why:

You know how they say that breakfast is the most importat meal for protein synthesis? But that you must also take care of your peri-workout meals? Add to that dinner and luch, and there you go. Oh, wait! You shouldn’t go to sleep with your stomach empty, or you’ll lose your gains! So, yeah, that’s my problem. Every meal seems to be the important one, so I, or anyone for that matter, can’t afford to miss or skip any of them.

What to do? Take in consideration that I’m pretty big as it is, and I’m tall on top of that (6’ 4’'). Should I keep training as I always do and stick to, let’s say, 2.2k calories and ignore the “meal importance” thingy?

Thanks in advance and welcome me to the forums![/quote]

Age? Current weight? Years training? Cardio? Any place you could cut junk calories like soft drinks? How are you getting your protein (protein powder 3x a day with 12 oz of whole milk isn’t going to help)? Stress? Laborer or desk jockey?

Personally, I don’t think loosing or gaining weight is a magic trick; more of a numbers game.

1. I’ve been lifting for almost 10 years, but got serious into bodybuilding a year ago. I don’t do soft drinks nor junk food, really. I just stuff my face with clean food, not because I’m hungry, but because “I have to.”

My protein comes from milk and food like eggs and chickens. My stress levels are pretty low, and I’m a chair a big part of my day.

Yes, number’s the problem, but my problem is not that I don’t know what to do to lose weight, is that I don’t know if I’m handling my muscle-gaining nutrition properly. I feel like I can’t stop overeating or I’ll dimish that rate at which I build muscle.

[quote]Klowdz wrote:
24. I’ve been lifting for almost 10 years, but got serious into bodybuilding a year ago. I don’t do soft drinks nor junk food, really. I just stuff my face with clean food, not because I’m hungry, but because “I have to.”

My protein comes from milk and food like eggs and chickens. My stress levels are pretty low, and I’m a chair a big part of my day.

Yes, number’s the problem, but my problem is not that I don’t know what to do to lose weight, is that I don’t know if I’m handling my muscle-gaining nutrition properly. I feel like I can’t stop overeating or I’ll dimish that rate at which I build muscle.[/quote]

Gotchya!
The milk and eggs are not doing you any favors unless its skim and egg white. I carry a little extra weight 5-6 lbs and yes, you do feel stronger when you are there. If your protein is at 1- 1 1/2 grams per lean body weight, you are getting what you need. Is your gym weights going up? If they are, that’s a good indication your getting enough.

Uh, cardio?

It is skimmed and most of the time just eggs white. My weights are going up, but my muscle mass goes up much, much faster. I don’t see much different in strength from month to month, but I do see a change in my physique.

But that’s not the problem at all! I wanna know if I should be worrying so much about when to eat. That’s what’s keeping me from losing weight.

How much do you weigh and how much are you looking to lose?

EDIT: this article might simplify things for you:

[quote]Klowdz wrote:
It is skimmed and most of the time just eggs white. My weights are going up, but my muscle mass goes up much, much faster. I don’t see much different in strength from month to month, but I do see a change in my physique.

But that’s not the problem at all! I wanna know if I should be worrying so much about when to eat. That’s what’s keeping me from losing weight.[/quote]
^
No and no it’s not. That’s the reason I passed through it. I think you are doing just fine. You are progressing so you have to be doing a lot of things right. I will assume that since you did not answer the cardio question, you are not doing anything. Maybe work on burning some cal.s and taking care if your net intake on the back end.

Yes you are overthinking your nutrition

This was the question you asked, now its answered

Eggs arent bad at all dont listen to doublelung, i eat 32 full eggs/week

Your first meal of the day can be only a 3-4 eggs omelette with green veggies

Your last meal of the day just needs to have protein in there along with some carbs or fat

Your peri workout should have more carbs than all the rest

You don’t need carbs with all meals

You don’t need fats with all meals

You need protein with all meals

You don’t need 7 meals

Your body will use your fat as energy if it “needs” to build more muscles

Don’t worry about gaining muscle while losing fat

Worry about keeping muscle already built when losing fat

Worry about losing fat when losing fat

Adjust cardio and calories accordingly

You shouldnt be losing much strenght at the start

If you lose more than 2 pounds/week you are not getting in enough cals and/or doing too much cardio

I hope this helps

Bullet points for the win???

I’d add,

Get your protein, but don’t over consume or obsess with it.

[quote]zraw wrote:

Your last meal of the day just needs to have protein in there along with some carbs or fat

You don’t need 7 meals

If you lose more than 2 pounds/week you are not getting in enough cals and/or doing too much cardio

I hope this helps[/quote]

x2 fin

[quote]zraw wrote:

You don’t need 7 meals

Some math on the egg issue;
That has you taking in about 375 cal. a day from the eggs of which 60-65% is fat. It may work for you but I don’t think that’s the best advice to give someone looking to drop a few pounds.

By the way, never said eggs were all bad; I have 12 of their moms! Best thing I can give my boys in the morning. Now just doing the whites is a great source of protein for me.

Good points on everything else my friend!

[quote]doublelung84 wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

You don’t need 7 meals

That has you taking in about 375 cal. a day from the eggs of which 60-65% is fat. It may work for you but I don’t think that’s the best advice to give someone looking to drop a few pounds.

By the way, never said eggs were all bad; I have 12 of their moms! Best thing I can give my boys in the morning. Now just doing the whites is a great source of protein for me.

Good points on everything else my friend!
[/quote]

Some math

3-4 eggs = 12-20g fat

lol.

Protein/fat breakfast when wanting to lose bodyfat is pretty standard…

[quote]zraw wrote:

[/quote]

32/7=4.6

Shall I assume it is your English or your math? I guess there is little point in going much further. If you still feel so superior, at a minimum please capitalize your “I”.

[quote]zraw wrote:

[/quote]

32/7=4.6

Shall I assume it is your English or your math? I guess there is little point in going much further. If you still feel so superior, at a minimum please capitalize your “I”.[/quote]

I just stated the # I eat to point out they aren’t bad.

Then I stated he should have a 3-4 eggs omelette

Even at 5/days there would be no problem.

I do feel superior when someone recommends to use egg whites (not bad) but then recommends to drink skim milk

[/quote]

Why would the fact 60-65% comes from fat matter? That wouldn’t hurt fat loss any more so then it being 60-65% of carbs or protein, as long as it’s inline with his macros for the day.

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[/quote]

Why would the fact 60-65% comes from fat matter? That wouldn’t hurt fat loss any more so then it being 60-65% of carbs or protein, as long as it’s inline with his macros for the day. [/quote]

Better not eat almonds, almond butter or coconut oil!

Zraw, thank you for chiming in on this…

I used to be an egg white Nazi about this issue, thinking that eating even 1 full egg would kill my results.

But I found that eating egg whites only, even with some veggies, left me hungry within 90 minutes after eating.

So eating the the full eggs has helped curb my hunger, which has always been my problem with nutrition.

Fat has a minimal effect on insulin and it’s filling as fuck, I call that a winner.

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[/quote]

Why would the fact 60-65% comes from fat matter? That wouldn’t hurt fat loss any more so then it being 60-65% of carbs or protein, as long as it’s inline with his macros for the day. [/quote]

Extrapolate that thought your diet and your headed to chubbyville; if your heart doesn’t blow up before you get there. Weight’s not a meal to meal project, hell hittin Mc’s “D” never killed anyone. Making it a daily routine and it’s gonna get ya.

Hay, have at it. Just be wise enough to leave room to turn the ship around.

fat is great. always feel more mentally alert, more full, more energetic. In a day I probably have 2 tbsp almond butter, 1 tbsp pastured butter, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 4 or 5 eggs, and 1-2 oz of avocado… In addition to whatever fat I get from grass-fed beef.

See if you can get duck eggs. Except doublelung can’t have any since he’d be wasting all the good stuff from them.