T Nation

Am I over training?

I'm a beginner. Am I over training?

Squat: 4 Sets - [8-10 Reps]
Bench Press : 3 Sets -[8-10 Reps]
Pull ups : 4 Sets -[8-10 Reps]
Military Press : 4 Sets -[8-10 Reps]
Weighted Sit Up : 2 Sets -[10-20 Reps]

I do this workout 3 times a week: Monday, Wednesday, Friday. So I do squats, bench, pull-ups, military press, sit ups 3 times a week.

Am I over training? Should I reduce my sets?

Do you feel tired all the time and is the amount you're lifting going down?

Also, you should do deadlifts.

Do you have any kind of progression in your program (i.e. each time you work out you add 5 lbs to your lifts or something like that).

I just started muscle building, so I can't tell at the moment.

I do have progression. If I can lift 50 KG squats of 10 rep, I have to add more weight.

nope

Nope. You're undertraining.

There's more of a chance of under eating/under sleeping than of overtraining...aslong as you recover...then you won't over train.

Now go eat, take a nap or train!

Looks like you have more off days than training days, and you do 1 exercise per body part (and neglect some altogether). What makes you think you're doing too much??

At the same time, I can see how you are probably still sore when you train squats and bench with only one day of rest in between. Hence how splits are born

But if you are still able to progress, it may not matter that you are still sore. But if not, you should consider changing the routine...

First and foremost, I LOVE your selection of exercises. The only thing that I personally would change is for you to do Squats, DEADLIFTS, bench presses, military presses, and pull ups. (You may ask me if you want to know why I think so.)

You said you do those three times a week. The set-and-rep scheme is that of a beginner (which I assume you are, at least for three months TOPS if you train properly on a consistent basis.).

Are you over training? The short answer is no, IF you are trying for a personal best once a week. For example, if your training schedule is Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, you must try for a personal best (such as a heavier weight for your 4 sets of 8 reps) on MONDAYS ONLY.

One of the best programs for you right now is Mark Rippetoe's, Heavy-Light-Medium program. http://www.startingstrength.net/workouts/

:wink:

Once you get done with that, talk to me.

EDIT: Also, please keep in mind that your training schedule for a three-day a week program should be either Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays, Tuesdays/Thursdays/Saturdays, or Sundays/Tuesdays/Wednesdays. NO EXCEPTIONS.