Am I Over Thinking This?

Im just working on my diet again, Im currently trying to bulk and know i need around 4300 cals everyday. Im writing a plan and i will stick to it 100% i dont have a problem with discipline at all, its just planning it.

I think im over thinking it as im trying to be to strict, following the guidelines in an article from this site

across 7 meals i am tryin to eat

-3 protein and fat meals, low carbs (10g)
-4 protein and carb meals, low fats (5g)
-50% carbs, 35% protein, 15% fats (trialing this as i handle carbs well)
-33% Poly, 33% Mono, 33% Sat
-consuming at least 4300 a day

so im working out what i would eat on monday and so far i got

Cals 4356.5 Carbs 356.3 Protein 294.1 Fats 183.37

I suppose all i wanna know is, if i just eat 4300 across 7 meals
each bein almost the same amount of cals would that be enough?

For anyone interested heres what i had for monday

Meal 1
Instant oats (100g)
Whey protein (30g)
80g of Blueberries
Apple
Cod liver oil tabs x2

Meal 2
Boiled Eggs (100g)
Veg/salad
Almonds (50g)
Oil (20g)

Meal 3
Tin of Tuna in Sunflower oil
Veg/salad
Almonds (50g)
Oil (15g)

Meal 4 (Pre Workout)
Instant oats (100g)
Whey protein (30g)
BCAA (5g)
banana

Meal 5 (Post Workout)
Dextrose (80g)
Whey protein (50g)
BCAA (5g)
L Leucine (5g)
Creatine (5g)

Meal 6
Chicken breast 150g
250g of sweet potato
Brussels (80g) (7)
Veg pack
Spinach (80g) (3)

Meal 7
Milk protein + (casein) (50g)
Virgin Olive oil (45g)

Are you still 6’4, 196lbs after 1-2 years of training? With a diet like this I can see why.

Why in GODS NAME are you eating so strictly?

Also when bulking, how often should i up the cals and by how much??

Im at 203, been training for 1 year and that 1 year was shit (obviously)

Its only recently i realised i needed to be eating alot more, im not trying to be
strict but i just wanna do things right but bein a newb means i am always learning,

whats bad about the diet above, that is just one day.

Thats what i come up with reading through some of JB’s articles.

If you are a skinny guy and you find that you are not adding the mass you want to add after a couple of months of this diet start adding in some high calorie foods that you would normally avoid because you are trying to eat “clean”. A lot of enthusiastic new guys try to do everything right and end up eating way too strict and they lose sight of the fact that they are trying to add mass. My advice to you is to stick to this diet as your “base” diet and then add in some high calorie foods if you are not seeing the gains you want to see. I suggest a pizza; you will get a shit ton of calories and if you are a skinny guy it will give you the carbs and fat that your ultra clean diet is lacking.

I think that it is good that you figured out all the numbers and have a general idea of what you need to do, now you just have to adjust your diet so it helps you meet your goals, and that is less about numbers and more about time and experience and just doing what you have to do

Hope that helps

Why are you only eating <300 g of protein per day if you want to gain weight?

That’s like wanting to lose weight and eating nothing but donuts all day.

Thanks andrew88 for the advice, I have a cheat meal but very rarely.

SSC so your saying 300g of protein isnt enough??? I did for a while eat around 350, ive always been under the assumption that u need a gram per pound of body weight, so in my cas 200g, and im eatin 100 over that.

At least with my diet all written out and set amounts etc. itll be easy to increase foods, for example if i stop gaining i know what grams i eat of each food now and can slightly increase it to continue.

To be honest this is good that i now know i am over thinking it, it has been doing my nut in thinking it was as strict as this, when by the sounds of things i should eat BIG but obviously clever as well

Can I just ask, does the above diet look shit cos im not eating enough or just the food choices?? I change protein daily, some days i eat a couple of sirloins or omega 3 salmons, some gammon etc.

If being strict is actually working against me I will eat more, drink more milk, just basically over eat more to insure i put on some size.

It isn’t that your diet is “shit”, the problem is that you simply don’t need to know how many grams of spinach and blueberries you are consuming. You are eating as though you wanted to diet down. It is overly strict and tedious, and I doubt it’s something you could (a) stick with for years, and (b) gain a lot of muscular weight with.

Here is my recommendation:

Eat 1.5 pounds of meat, half a dozen eggs, and two big protein shakes every day. Then fill in the rest of your diet with enough carbohydrates for you to gain bodyweight at a rate of 3-5lbs a month, and then include fruits and vegetables.

Any kind of meat you want, split up or all at once, however you want to cook your eggs, split up or all at once, and have one of those protein shakes after your workout. The cleaner your carbohydrates (only eating complex carbs and zero sugar) = the cleaner your gains are likely to be… however, eating slightly less clean in order to get enough calories is better than eating so “cleanly” that you aren’t gaining bodyweight fast enough.

Eating only brussels sprouts for carbs is just as dumb as eating only donuts for carbs… except with the donuts you’d probably gain more muscle, although obviously I’d rather see you eating pasta, brown rice, and sweet potatoes for your carb sources. lol

I’ve found that this is a diet most people can stick with for the long haul, because it gives you what you need while being very versatile. The only thing you need to weigh out is the meat you’re eating, and most cans of tuna and packages of steak and chicken already tell you how much they weigh.

This is all also assuming that you’re training hard, and often, with a sensible routine… obviously you can’t expect to see any real gains if your training is downright retarded.

Training currently is WS4SB vol 3 written out below. I workout from home so my equipment is all free weights, Ive got a room for my lifting so im good, got a squat rack, decent bench, BB, DB’s, EZ bar, Chin up bar out back and other stuff like boxing bag, exercise bike and plenty of room to jump rope, oh yeh and weight plates up to 200KG so no probs there yet.

Im not doing any cardio at the moment apart from 5-10 mins jump rope before weights, I did used to do a shit load of cardio with weights like HIIT sprints etc, but seeing as i wanna put on some mass i found it to be counter productive.

I have done some of CW’s programs, i think im gonna look into madcows and 5/3/1 soon, they sound like a safe bet

Monday Max effort upper body
Close Grip Bench Press - work up to 3 rep max
DB Floor Press - 1st set 15-20 2nd set max

Superset
Chest supported Db Rows 3x8
Rear delt Flyes 3x10

DB Shrugs 3x10
Zottman curls 3x10

Tuesday Dynamic effort lower
Broad jumps 6x3
BB Reverse Lunge with added ROM 3x8
Romanian D/L 3x10
DB Side Bends 4x15

Thursday Repetition upper body
Flat DB Bench Press 4x12

Superset
Lat pulldowns 3x10
Band Pull aparts 3x10

DB Military Press 4x8

Superset
BB Shrugs 3x10
BB Bicep Curls 3x10

Heavy DB holds 3 sets of max time

Friday max effort lower body
Straight bar deadlifts work up to 3 rep max
Walking DB lunges 3x8
Reverse hyper extensions 3x8
Ground Based high rep abdominal circuit 4 exercises, 3 circuits, 2 mins rest

What are your goals?

Training for a sport, just want to be bigger and stronger, work related?

For bodybuilding purposes I don’t think that routine, or any of the other ones you listed, are going to be very productive. But this all depends on what you actually need to accomplish.

I agree with Mr. Popular. The workout routine that you are doing will not be able to give you the mass that you want. You may want to try 5X5 workouts. I put on 15lbs of lean muscle in 2 and half months doing that and then switched it up. You just need to find what is right. Try IBB that’ll get you going.

mrpopular I just want to get bigger and stronger, then cut down to a decent body fat %. So you suggest i should change the program?? im all for that, the problem i have with some programs is i have to change out certain exercises as i dont have the machines. But i can do the main stuff ,squats,deads,bench,rows,chins etc that are gonna get me some size.

wschneider what is this 5x5 program your talking about IBB???

should i stick to this no cardio/only for warm up at the moment till i gain some decent muscle?

thanks for the help so far, appreciatewd

I noticed that you are not squatting; if you want to get big and you are a relative beginner you need to fix that. If I were you I would check out Eric Cressey’s book Maximum Strength and follow the whole program all the way through. That will teach you a lot of basic stuff about training and then you can go from there. Learn how to use good technique on the big moves then put a program together focusing on the power lifts and just get stronger.

And stop jump roping for five minutes before lifting; Eric Cressey’s book will teach you how to warm up properly so your workouts will be more productive.

Also, switch out that ground based ab circut and the side bends for some anti flexion and anti rotation stuff if you are going to work your abs

Get that book, it will be the easiest/quickest way for you to get a general idea of how to train

[quote]Bigbossmdk wrote:
mrpopular I just want to get bigger and stronger, then cut down to a decent body fat %. So you suggest i should change the program?? im all for that, the problem i have with some programs is i have to change out certain exercises as i dont have the machines. But i can do the main stuff ,squats,deads,bench,rows,chins etc that are gonna get me some size.

wschneider what is this 5x5 program your talking about IBB???

should i stick to this no cardio/only for warm up at the moment till i gain some decent muscle?

thanks for the help so far, appreciatewd

[/quote]

There is no reason whatsoever that you have to do some pre-made program. The ultimate goal here is to find out exactly what works for you and your body anyway, so don’t worry about obeying someone else’s routine. As long as you know how to do the exercises, what “sets” and “reps” are, when to add weight, and what exercises work what muscle groups, then you should follow your own routine.

You have all the basic equipment, and can do all the basic exercises you need in order to lay a foundation.

I don’t know your body so I couldn’t tell you what to do, but as far as a recommendation goes let’s just say if I were in your shoes this is what I would do:

Take the basic freeweight exercises (eg: bench, squat, chin, row, military, curl, skullcrusher, stiff-leg dead, etc.), and split them up however works best, as long as I’m doing each exercise twice a week. For instance, legs/push/pull heavy 8-10 reps, rest, then legs/push/pull light 12-15 reps. 2 warmup sets per exercise, then 3 work sets in the rep range.

Whatever you do, always try to beat the weight and/or reps you used for last week’s workout, but add at the very least 10lbs to each lift every month (maybe 5 for curls and skulls). The aim being to put 120+lbs on all your basic exercises in one year, in correlation with some significant bodyweight gains.

[quote]wschneider wrote:
I agree with Mr. Popular. The workout routine that you are doing will not be able to give you the mass that you want. You may want to try 5X5 workouts. I put on 15lbs of lean muscle in 2 and half months doing that and then switched it up. You just need to find what is right. Try IBB that’ll get you going.[/quote]

Mr. Popular look at the second to last line. Find whats right. thats what Im saying. Giving examples of workouts will only help since he is unsure. I didnt say go for it. If you quote make sure you read everything.

Andrew 88 Ive only just started this program, Through my first year i have been squatting alot, front, back, hack, for 6 weeks prior to starting this ‘second phase’ I was still doing WS4SB but with completely different exercises, Free squats, Glute ham raises, Bulgarian split squats etc.

Also the ab thing is just part of the program, i was doing spread eagle sit ups and different circuits before this, hanging leg raises etc.

I am also definately interested in picking up some books, im from the uk so hopefully i can find them on some online store, everything to do with weight training, nutrition interests me so the more i can read up on the better.

Mr popular correct me if im wrong but your suggestion looks like the above program with some changes to set reps and mainly focus on the big lifts,
So bench heavy one day @3x8 and then light on the next upper day @3x12-15, same with rows, and squats/lunges?

I read some people say u should have a deload week every so often, is this something i should be doing?? I doubt im over training so not sure if it would affect me, but i have always tried to lift as heavy as can go each time i train

“Maximum Strength” will teach you about deloading and other stuff like that. I would check that out because it will give you a better understanding of a lot of aspects of training. Once you have the basics down then you can “figure out what works for you”, but until then you are just taking shots in the dark.

man this sounds SO much like me, the diet part,the way you worked out your diet by the gram per food item, i totally do that, i work out everything and even calculate the left over balances of everything according to that.

I enjoyed the advice, I`m super anal and so strict with my diet and how much i consume of what.

I worked out everything, what to eat, how much to eat and when to eat it, i weight everything and keep to it like religion, apart from one cheat meal a week and one dessert a week,

dam pizza sounds good right now.

i need to loosen up a tad as well. Ive been gaining steadily though, but realise i can loosen up on the diet