Am I On the Right Track?

Hey guys, a little about myself. I’m 21, 6’1 or 6’2, and just started to get serious in the past 4 months since I was getting skinny fat I guess you can say, I was like 170-173 lbs.

I noticed I got stronger, but my body didn’t really change, maybe I brought my body % down a little and put on an inch on my arms, but that’s about it. Then, about 3=4 weeks ago I started a clean bulk and things change very fast. My lifts went up ALOT, and I am now at 184-188 lbs. My plan is to hit about 210 then cut down.

This is my daily diet.

9am: 5 egg whites, 1 full egg, with salsa, and a bowl of oatmeal with 1 pack instant oatmeal added for flavor, + peanut butter.

10:30am: Shake: 2 scoops of protein powder mixed in milk, oatmeal, blueberries, half a banana, peanut butter, little bit of yogurt.

12:00pm: Chicken with vegetables

2:00pm: Graze on trail mix, (nuts and raisins)

5:00pm: Smoked Salmon + vegetables

7:00pm: whatever is for dinner I eat, healthy or not.

8:20pm: GYM: Schedule is below. Creatine + Pre-workout

After workout meal: Another big ass shake, maybe cottage cheesy, sandwich, or anything quick I can find, maybe trail mix just so it’s not only a liquid meal even though the shake has a ton of calories.

I take fish oil when I remember.

Gym Routine:

Monday: Chest: Incline or Flat bench press, dumbell press, cable flys, pushups, and some sort of machine, then pushups until im dead.

Tuesday: Shoulders: Military press, upright rows, laterall raises, dumbell shrugs, then barbell shrugs on smith machine.

Wednesday: Off if im really sore, or ill do Back.

Thursday: Legs: Squats, leg press, weighted lunges, and calves.

Friday: Back: Just a bunch of different back excercises, and deadlift.

Saturday: Bench press, Dumbell press, then Bi’s and Tri’s , reason I do 2 excercises of chest is because I find it my weak point and I want to shape my chest better, so it’s not a full chest day, but will hit chest twice a week.

Sunday: OFF, might run a mile just for fun.

Is this a good routine, should I continue this? I feel there are a lot of compound excercises each day, but is splitting it up like this a good idea, each day gets a body part?

Feedback or suggestions greatly appreciated. I can post pics, but I dont know what 10-15 pounds is even showable on camera.

Shoulders the day after chest isn’t really ideal. Neither is biceps the day after back. Nor back (and deadlifts) the day after squats.

Pick anything from this thread: Do This Routine Instead of That Dumb One - Competitive Bodybuilding - Forums - T Nation

It seems you are benching and doing chest more than back. Do the opposite. Train your back more, and get that strongest first. It’ll raise almost all your other lifts.

Above article is very good too ^^

Yeah sometimes I just feel sore from the next day, I know what you mean, and this way I can hit each muscle group 2x a week.

But it seems like the programs on that thread don’t have a lot of excercises, I like to go to the gym for an hour - hour and a half, get a nice warm up and just hit that muscle group hard in every angle and tons of excercises.

Can I add excercises but keep the blueprint to one of those routines, or is it better to stick to it 100%?

Thanks

Fuck your dumb routine… Go with kingbeef’s… doesn’t he have an avatar anymore? (no homo - he clearly knows what he’s talking about)

You’re probably better off not fucking with shit until you get a lot more experience under your belt (judging by your stats, but lifts would help give a clear indication - how come everybody is so hesitant to post these when asking for advice? seems like the most pertinent bit of info).

[quote]flupavo wrote:
Yeah sometimes I just feel sore from the next day, I know what you mean, and this way I can hit each muscle group 2x a week.

But it seems like the programs on that thread don’t have a lot of excercises, I like to go to the gym for an hour - hour and a half, get a nice warm up and just hit that muscle group hard in every angle and tons of excercises.

Can I add excercises but keep the blueprint to one of those routines, or is it better to stick to it 100%?

Thanks[/quote]

[quote]MickyGee wrote:
Fuck your dumb routine… Go with kingbeef’s… doesn’t he have an avatar anymore? (no homo - he clearly knows what he’s talking about)

You’re probably better off not fucking with shit until you get a lot more experience under your belt (judging by your stats, but lifts would help give a clear indication - how come everybody is so hesitant to post these when asking for advice? seems like the most pertinent bit of info).

[quote]flupavo wrote:

Thanks[/quote]
[/quote]

I piss you off some how or you just having a bad day? It was just a simple humble question, and posted in the right category, “Beginners”. If I thought my routine was great I wouldn’t be posting in the first place.

I also like to know the reasoning behind things, since it’s a lot different then what I’m currently doing.

Well, you did learn that diet plays a major role. So, that is a good thing.

Your work out is a mish mash of exercises. It’s not really BB split and not really strength oriented. Then again, no rep or set scheme, so not too sure about that.

You realize that once you started eating right, your strength and weight went up. Imagine what would happen if you went on a proven program!

Just pick a goal, then choose a program. They are there to help you.

[quote]JFG wrote:
Well, you did learn that diet plays a major role. So, that is a good thing.

Your work out is a mish mash of exercises. It’s not really BB split and not really strength oriented. Then again, no rep or set scheme, so not too sure about that.

You realize that once you started eating right, your strength and weight went up. Imagine what would happen if you went on a proven program!

Just pick a goal, then choose a program. They are there to help you.[/quote]

My reps are from 6-8, but regardless, what you said makes sense. I’m gonna pick a better program then.

6-8 reps is generally strength/hypertrophy range.

Look at this one

Remember, consistency is key.

Good luck

[quote]JFG wrote:

Look at this one

Good luck[/quote]

I tried this a few years ago when I wasn’t serious. Was barely eating etc… I definitely did get stronger though, you think I should pick it up with my new eating habits then?

[quote]flupavo wrote:

[quote]JFG wrote:

Look at this one

Good luck[/quote]

I tried this a few years ago when I wasn’t serious. Was barely eating etc… I definitely did get stronger though, you think I should pick it up with my new eating habits then?[/quote]

IF it worked when you weren’t serious, then I figure it’s got to work when you are

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

[quote]flupavo wrote:

[quote]JFG wrote:

Look at this one

Good luck[/quote]

I tried this a few years ago when I wasn’t serious. Was barely eating etc… I definitely did get stronger though, you think I should pick it up with my new eating habits then?[/quote]

IF it worked when you weren’t serious, then I figure it’s got to work when you are
[/quote]

lol true.

Does anyone know of a similar routine that lets me workout 5-6 times a week? Or will the rest actually be better then doing 5-6 times a week? I really love working out.

I’m searching now but just thought if anyone knew of one, would be handy.

[quote]flupavo wrote:
Can I add excercises but keep the blueprint to one of those routines[/quote]
Yes, you can keep the blueprint and interchange lifts.

Go to the attached link above and pick a workout that has the number of days per/week that you like. Then tweak it if you want. This is not rocket science, just don’t switch out squats for leg extensions and expect the same results.

Just follow the program to a “T”, eat lots and we’ll see you in six months.

[quote]flupavo wrote:

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

[quote]flupavo wrote:

[quote]JFG wrote:

Look at this one

Good luck[/quote]

[/quote]

lol true.

Does anyone know of a similar routine that lets me workout 5-6 times a week? Or will the rest actually be better then doing 5-6 times a week? I really love working out.

I’m searching now but just thought if anyone knew of one, would be handy.[/quote]

There are plenty of programs that you can use if that’s the frequency you want, but I would make sure your BODY wants that much frequency, not just your mind. Trust me, I love lifting and would do it every day if I could, but for me that’s counterproductive. Another option, which is what I do, is to condition on your off days so you are still training every day.

Decided to go with this:

5 day split, 1x a week frequency

Monday- Chest/Calves

Incline Dumbbell Press - 4x 6-10 (2)
Flat Barbell Press - 3x 6-10 (1)
Decline Dumbbell press - 3x 6-10 (2)
Standing calf raises - 4x 8-10 (2) (1-2 mins rest for calves)
Seated calf raises - 3x 8-10 (2)
Leg press Calf raises - 3 x 12-15 (2)

Tuesday- Back

Pull ups - 50 or as many as you can do in 10 minutes
Barbell Rows - (torso at 45ish degree angle) 4x 8-10 (1)
Close neutral grip pulldowns - 3x 8-10 (2) (really like 3 sec negatives on these)
Seated straight bar rows - 3x 8-10 (2)

Wednesday- Legs (2-3 second negatives recommended on all exercises)

Lying leg curls - 4x 6-8 (2)
RDL’s - 4x 8-10 (1)
Leg press - 4x8-10 (I like doing these before squats to help loosen up the hips) (2)
Squats or Front squats - 3x 8-10 (1)
Hack Squats (close stance) - 3x 8-10 (2)

Thursday- Arms/Abs Supersets for arms

Pinwheel Curls - 4x 6-10 (1)
Decline Elbows flared CGBP - 4x 6-10 (1)

Preacher curls on vertical side (spider curls) - 3x 8-10 (2)
Lying Behind the head extensions - 3x 8-10 (2)

Alternating Dumbbell curls - 3x 8-10 (2)
French Presses - 3x 8-10 (2)

Cable rope crunches - 3x 12-15 (2) (1-2 mins rest for abs)
Weighted Leg Raises - 3x 12-15 (2)

Friday - Shoulders/Traps

Seated Overhead Dumbbell Press - 4x 6-10 (2)
Cable lateral raises - 3x 8-12 (2)
Seated Dumbbell lateral raises - 3x 8-12 (2)
Incline Bench Rear delt raises - 3x 12-15 (2)
Standing cable X’s - 3x 20-30 (3)
Shrugs - 4x 8-10 (2)

If i still have energy at the end of my workouts, can I throw in a couple more exercises just to top the workout off?

[quote]flupavo wrote:
Decided to go with this:

Monday- Chest/Calves

Tuesday- Back

Close neutral grip pulldowns - 3x 8-10 (2) (really like 3 sec negatives on these)

RDL’s - 4x 8-10 (1)
Leg press - 4x8-10 (I like doing these before squats to help loosen up the hips) (2)

Friday - Shoulders/Traps

Shrugs - 4x 8-10 (2)

If i still have energy at the end of my workouts, can I throw in a couple more exercises just to top the workout off?[/quote]

Good choice, just make sure you add weight and get stronger. I see a lot of guys that do bodybuilding programs that get stuck keeping the weight the same forever.

I definitely wouldn’t add anything to this, just do it as written.

[quote]flupavo wrote:
Decided to go with this:

Monday- Chest/Calves

Tuesday- Back

RDL’s - 4x 8-10 (1)

Friday - Shoulders/Traps

Shrugs - 4x 8-10 (2)

If i still have energy at the end of my workouts, can I throw in a couple more exercises just to top the workout off?[/quote]

If you can do it and recover properly I say go for it.

But just remember, lifting is something that you’ll do for a long time, so why rush into it by giving yourself such a heavy workload now, when you’re still trying to figure things out? I rushed into lifting thinking I can do it all and couldn’t put my ego to the side and it got me nowhere. Just be patient, keep things simple and light, and watch, listen and read from experts and not some big tool bag that does nothing but bicep curls in squat racks.

*All exercises are ramped
*Numbers at end in parentheses are how many sets to failure to do on that exercise
*Rest 90-120 secs between sets, 2-3 mins if you did a set to failure on a compound movement and are about to do another set to failure on the same movement
*Should be able to finish these workouts in an hour or less

I don’t got a consistent partner for the gym, so how would I do failures? :frowning:

[quote]flupavo wrote:
*All exercises are ramped
*Numbers at end in parentheses are how many sets to failure to do on that exercise
*Rest 90-120 secs between sets, 2-3 mins if you did a set to failure on a compound movement and are about to do another set to failure on the same movement
*Should be able to finish these workouts in an hour or less

I don’t got a consistent partner for the gym, so how would I do failures? :([/quote]

Just politely ask someone who looks trustworthy at your gym to spot you and just let him know you’re going till failure before you start your set.

Or if your gym has a squat rack try to set the pins so that they can catch the bar if you fail but not get in the way when you’re lifting.