T Nation

Am I Losing Muscle While Cutting?

I dont know if i have put this question in the right section but couldnt find a more appropriate one to put it in so here goes. I have been eating way under my maintence calories on my cutting cycle and dropped 16lbs since i started dieting, going from 20% to 15% in 8 weeks. My diet is very clean and i get a lot of clean protein 250g daily from lean sources at 176lbs.

My only worry is that i am losing muscle while shedding the fat, the reason i think this is that my arms are half an inch smaller than when i started dieting.

Is the half an inch just lost fat from my arms or do you think it could be muscle aswell, although my strength has gone up since starting the diet, Any ideas anyone???

I know it will be diffrent for diffrent people but do you guys think that 16lbs loss in bodyweight will equal to a half inch of fat gone of my arms or do you think i have lost muscle?

As you say it does vary between individuals but a half inch reduction of arm size can go along with 16 pounds of fat loss, without muscle loss.

If you’ve lost no strength in the arms, you’ve lost little or no muscle.

Thanks for the reply, i am sure i am just being paranoid, but when you see reduction in the measuring tape it makes you think you are losing size of doing something wrong lol. I have gained a little strengthin the arms (and other body parts) while dieting so i think i am on the right track.

well you said you went from 20% down to 15% body fat, how about do the math and see if/how much your lean-mass has changed by. Unless you are just guessing your body-fat %age.

if your currently 176 @ 15% and you started at 192 @ 20% then you have lost 4lbs of lean-mass (153.6 to 149.6) this would only be true if you actually tested your body-fat %age.

I have tested bodyfat with calipers. But this was self administrated (above the right hip bone) I don’t think I was accurate or consistent with the readings. I do hope I have not lost any lean muscle ha.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
As you say it does vary between individuals but a half inch reduction of arm size can go along with 16 pounds of fat loss, without muscle loss.

If you’ve lost no strength in the arms, you’ve lost little or no muscle.[/quote]

2nd the above,

I use to measure my arms like every day.

Now I refuse to measure my arms at all on a diet.

I’ve lost 60ish lbs and lost about 2 inches on my arms man.

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:

If you’ve lost no strength in the arms, you’ve lost little or no muscle.[/quote]

2nd the above,

I use to measure my arms like every day.

Now I refuse to measure my arms at all on a diet.

I’ve lost 60ish lbs and lost about 2 inches on my arms man.[/quote]

The picture in your avatar looks good, arms look jacked.